SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military: boycott mainstream press
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Military: boycott mainstream press Reply with quote

If the military boycotted the mainstream press, that would get their attention and perhaps help them realize that press bias and yellow journalism will be costly.

See this:

The Post Says the Glass Is Completely Empty

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/006959.php

The Washington Post's current contribution to the Kerry campaign is a mega-series on the occupation of Iraq. The first installment, titled "Mistakes Loom Large as Handover Nears," appeared this morning.

Despite its great length, today's article manages the astonishing feat of reviewing the postwar occupation of Iraq without mentioning a single positive development. Not one. Based entirely on anonymous sources, the article chronicles an unrelieved series of misjudgments, errors and failures.

Some of the Post's critique is obviously political. It criticizes the CPA for trying to establish a free market economy. Relying, one suspects, on information from a middle-aged State Department liberal, it describes "...conflict within the occupation bureaucracy [that] set[s] the legions of young staff members chosen for their loyalty to the Bush administration against older, more liberal diplomats from the State Department and the British Foreign Office." And it portrays the Office of Strategic Communicatins as unsuccessful in efforts to reach Iraqis because it "viewed its job as helping Bush to win his next election."

Mostly, though, the Post is just unrelentingly pessimistic. Sometimes in ways that seem disconnected from current developments in Iraq; the uprising sponsored by Moqtada Sadr is viewed as critical evidence of the failure of the occupation, with no mention of the fact that most recently, Sadr has abandoned his insurgency and told his militia to go home.

The bottom line, of course, is that the Iraq reconstruction effort has been delayed and complicated by security problems. But there is no apparent ground for declaring the occupation a failure. Authority is being handed over to a temporary government; a new constitution is in place; elections will be held. Security will ultimately depend on the Iraqis, not on us. But that was always true. Whether a positive result will emerge from Iraq remains to be seen, as does the impact of Iraq's liberation on other Arab countries. Already, however, we have seen movements toward democracy spreading around the region.

Our efforts in Iraq may yet fail, but it is hard to see the Post's one-sided assessment as a realistic contribution to our understanding of what is happening there.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a boycott to work, it would need to be more than just the Military. If as many of us that could stopped buying their papers, turned off the alphabet channels and canceled subscriptions to left leaning rags, maybe they would get the message. Of course, we would also have to tell them why we were canceling.

When I canceled my subscription to the local paper I told them I was fed up with their liberal interpretation of the news and everytime they contact me for a resubscription, I remind them of that and refuse it.

CBS, ABC, NBC all have websites we can contact them through. Their money is from viewers through advertisers and if they lose that, they have to change or fall by the wayside.

If only the Military boycotts them, they will just cry Government censorship, freedom of the press and other such garbage. So, it would have to be coming from the general citizenship as well. Grassroots can get the word out, but we all have to be doing it and encouraging the rest to also.
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't mind the media constantly criticizing the war if it was in the spirit of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

But it's not. It's like a game of "gotcha!" and they are playing with the lives of our troops and the future of Iraq.

Disgusting behavior.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
I honestly wouldn't mind the media constantly criticizing the war if it was in the spirit of CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.

But it's not. It's like a game of "gotcha!" and they are playing with the lives of our troops and the future of Iraq.

Disgusting behavior.

Amen!

But a boycott - hell, we'd have to boycott even Army Times, et al. They've gotten about as left as you can go over the last ten years or so. You'd think that a publication with the name, "Army Times" or "Navy Times" would present a more balanced and certainly a more pro-military point of view.

But, the editorial slant is decidedly opposite. We don't even buy "Navy Times," any more. If we want anti-military bullsnit, we can read the NYT or turn on CNN.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
nakona wrote:

Disgusting behavior.

Amen!

But a boycott - hell, we'd have to boycott even Army Times, et al. They've gotten about as left as you can go over the last ten years or so. You'd think that a publication with the name, "Army Times" or "Navy Times" would present a more balanced and certainly a more pro-military point of view.

But, the editorial slant is decidedly opposite. We don't even buy "Navy Times," any more. If we want anti-military bullsnit, we can read the NYT or turn on CNN.

I didn't mean a sanctioned or official boycott, but a grass-roots one. Imagine the panic in the newsrooms regarding a growing grass-roots movement in the U.S. military to boycott the LeftMedia.

FDL
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:

I didn't mean a sanctioned or official boycott, but a grass-roots one. Imagine the panic in the newsrooms regarding a growing grass-roots movement in the U.S. military to boycott the LeftMedia.

Hey, if you want to start such a thing, I'd certainly be willing to help spread the word! I'm boycotting them, already, for the most part. If this television is on any of the networks more than 10-15 minutes a day, that's a LONG time. The rest of the day, it's on Fox - even when I'm out of the room, the cable box stays tuned to Fox, just to add one more tv to the count.

I get most of my news on the internet, now.

There's already a "boycott" of sorts going on against the partisan media - people are voting with their remote controls. All the alphabet networks - viewership down. Fox news - viewership up.

But, a military and veteran boycott? Yep, that might make some people a tad nervous. Wink

It's not like military and veterans don't have good cause to boycott - their coverage of this war, alone, has been deplorable - just as it was with Afghanistan. (I'm reading Misunderestimated, right now - you gotta read it - the media lies and smears are laid out flat with the facts to debunk them.)

The partisan media is attempting to do to another generation of soldiers what they helped to do with our Vietnam vets, but they're covering it with a veneer of "Support Our Troops," so as to distract people from their editorial slant.

But the veneer is thin enough you could blow your nose with it. Maybe it is time to set such a thing into motion.
NoDonkey
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Navy_Navy_Navy"]
nakona wrote:

Agree - I bought the Navy Times a few weeks ago and thought I was reading the Village Voice or the Rolling Stone. Just worthless.

We can do what we can as individuals and it will make a dent. Whether or not it does it makes my day a lot better (and cuts down on my cursing) when I don't read the Washington Post, when I don't read NPR and when I don't watch CNN, things I used to do everyday for the past decade.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: "Here they go again" as Reagan would say Reply with quote

nakona wrote:

Disgusting behavior.

The main stream media is selectively picking the stories that fit their anti military agenda. How much play has any of the success stories gotten? I am an USAF veteran who remembers the media bashing of the Vietnam era military and I will be dammed if they do it again with my two Navy sons. Their older brother is a mass communications major and plans on becoming another “truth detector”.

The coverage on these stories is suspiciously AWOL from the main stream press.

Quotes cut from...
David Horowitz
FrontPageMagazine.com | June 18, 2004

“A three week military campaign with minimal casualties”,
“25 million people liberated from one of the most sadistic tyrants of modern times”
“Establishment of a military and intelligence base in the heart of the terrorist world”
“The filling of mass graves with 300,000 corpses were stopped”
“Prisons for four to twelve year olds were closed”
“A democratic constitution has been drafted”
“Two-thirds of al-Qaeda’s leadership is gone”
“There hasn’t been a terrorist attack in America in more than two and a half years”

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't someone (this week I have very little time), do some research get the names, e-mails address of the top execs at ABC, NBC, CBS and CCN so we can all send them e-mail tellimg them why we are no longer watching their news. I would be more than happy to give my 5 cents worth to the liberal media. I can tell people in more than one ways what @ss's they can be! Laughing
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Perhaps we should select a paticular network. CBS your it! Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
Why don't someone (this week I have very little time), do some research get the names, e-mails address of the top execs at ABC, NBC, CBS and CCN so we can all send them e-mail tellimg them why we are no longer watching their news. I would be more than happy to give my 5 cents worth to the liberal media. I can tell people in more than one ways what @ss's they can be! Laughing

Please lock out CBS from your television and send this email to everyone in you address book.

Please send email to the following addresses

evening@cbsnews.com
earlyshow@cbs.com
48hours@cbsnews.com
audsvcs@cbs.com

I am advocating that we gang up on one specific net work and their sponsors in an effort to apply punishment that will be felt. Perhaps competing networks will selfishly cover the boycott story in an effort to capture a point or two from CBS for themselves. However to avoid looking like hypocrites they will need to at least make a token effort to report some of the untold or under told stories.

The fact that CBS devoted an entire 60 minute program to promote Clintons book while our young men and women are in harms way is enough reason for me to put them on notice as the one that the veteran - military community is putting on notice.

As of today I have locked all CBS stations from all the televisions in my home. And will not purchase any products that sponsor CBS.

Quotes taken from
David Horowitz
FrontPageMagazine.com | June 18, 2004

“A three week military campaign with minimal casualties”,
“25 million people liberated from one of the most sadistic tyrants of modern times”
“Establishment of a military and intelligence base in the heart of the terrorist world”
“The filling of mass graves with 300,000 corpses were stopped”
“Prisons for four to twelve year olds were closed”
“A democratic constitution has been drafted”
“Two-thirds of al-Qaeda’s leadership is gone”
“There hasn’t been a terrorist attack in America in more than two and a half years”

Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did see it on the other post and I already sent them all an e-mail. I just think maybe if we can get some organization going on maybe them we can force the liberal media to be more turthful. We can hope.
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to get my news from a variety of sources. I would assume one would be able to get a much more objective perspective that way.
Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my Boycott a couple years ago

Fox News and News Max is all I need.
Top 10 Weasels.com is where Kerry is Weasel #1
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Support the troops and say thank you to a vet boycott CBS Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
For a boycott to work, it would need to be more than just the Military. If as many of us that could stopped buying their papers, turned off the alphabet channels and canceled subscriptions to left leaning rags, maybe they would get the message. Of course, we would also have to tell them why we were canceling.

When I canceled my subscription to the local paper I told them I was fed up with their liberal interpretation of the news and everytime they contact me for a resubscription, I remind them of that and refuse it.

CBS, ABC, NBC all have websites we can contact them through. Their money is from viewers through advertisers and if they lose that, they have to change or fall by the wayside.

If only the Military boycotts them, they will just cry Government censorship, freedom of the press and other such garbage. So, it would have to be coming from the general citizenship as well. Grassroots can get the word out, but we all have to be doing it and encouraging the rest to also.

Perhaps a a tag line like this might work.

Support the troops and say thank you to a veteran boycott CBS.
[/b]

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Jeremy you will still have plenty to choose from without CBS Reply with quote

Jeremy Eaton wrote:
I like to get my news from a variety of sources. I would assume one would be able to get a much more objective perspective that way.

Go ahead make your case. Show us all of the positive stories CBS has produced about the war on terrorism over the past year. I will be able to produce two stories about the prison abuse for every one positive story they produce. Why it is that CBS is being so selective in their coverage? You are intellectually dishonest if you are unable to see the obvious bias in the coverage that CBS is providing.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: