SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's Vietnam Remarks Coming Back to Haunt America

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Kerry's Vietnam Remarks Coming Back to Haunt America Reply with quote

Kerry's Vietnam Remarks Coming Back to Haunt America, Lawmaker Says
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
June 23, 2004

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewNation.asp?Page=\Nation\archive\200406\NAT20040623b.html

Quote:
(CNSNews.com) - A Republican lawmaker says Sen. John F. Kerry should apologize for his 1971 testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The Vietnamese government is now using Kerry's 1971 comments to question America's treatment of Iraqi prisoners.

In a one-minute speech on the House floor Wednesday, Rep. Joe Pitts (R-Penn.) noted that the Vietnamese government has weighed in on the Iraqi prison scandal.

"But the official communist Vietnamese news agency isn't citing the Geneva Convention or the U.N.," Pitts said. "It's citing testimony given by John Kerry in 1971."

At that 1971 hearing, Kerry told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about a recent investigation in Detroit, where more than 150 Vietnam veterans "testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia -- not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command...."

According to Kerry, some of the 150 veterans admitted they "had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam..."

Vietnam News, which the Republican National Committee describes as an arm of the official Communist Vietnam News Agency, is now repeating John Kerry's 1971 comments to make the point that Americans "perpetrated well-documented atrocities in Vietnam, both at the individual and mass levels."

But, Vietnam News added, "despite these abuses, the Vietnamese did not reciprocate in kind; instead, they treated captured US troops humanely."

Rep. Pitts says there's a problem with Kerry's 1971 testimony, which Vietnam News has seized upon: "The problem is, he relied on a report prepared by a group of people who were not what they seemed," Pitts said in his speech.

"They claimed to be former soldiers. They were not. They were frauds. They were out only to discredit the military and our country. But John Kerry never repudiated or apologized for his statements," Pitts said. Instead, Pitts noted, Kerry attributed his behavior to "youth."

"And now his misleading, inaccurate, hateful words are being used by a government with an atrocious human rights record against this country," Pitts said.

"Senator Kerry should apologize once and for all to our troops and to our nation...And he should disavow these statements as false before more nations decide to rely on his erroneous testimony from 1971," Pitts concluded.

In an April 23, 2004 interview with CNN, Kerry said his 1971 comments were "mostly voice of a young, angry person who wanted to end the war" and "honest expressions of the passion that we brought to the cause."

He told CNN he regretted "any feeling that anybody had that I somehow didn't embrace the quality of the service. But I have always said how nobly I think every veteran served."

He described himself as older and wiser: "But they were the words that came out of my gut at that time, based on the anger and frustration that I felt back when it was happening," Kerry told CNN in April.

He also told CNN, "I'm not going to back down one inch on what I've fought for and what I've stood for all of these years."

Nuff said!

FRIGGIN WAR WOOF!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now, this kinda blows the theory that Kerry's
damaging testimony 33 years ago is ancient history and
not pertinant for today, right out of the water.

funny that his commy buddies are the ones exposing this..
very ironic.

thanks for posting this. i'm printing many copies.. Smile

sdpatriot
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you'd like to send Rep. Joe Pitts a word of thanks for his remarks in the House -

here for an email:
http://www.house.gov/pitts/service/correspond.htm

and here for a written letter or phone call:
http://www.house.gov/pitts/contact.htm

sdpatriot
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He also told CNN, "I'm not going to back down one inch on what I've fought for and what I've stood for all of these years."

Slander.
Libel.
Treason.
Sedition.
Lying.
Opportunism.
Clinical narcissism.

Quite a record to stand on, SENATOR. Rolling Eyes

Edited to add: I just call Rep. Pitts' office to thank him, I called my Representative's office to ask her to pass along my thanks and ask her to take the same position on this issue, and I've written to both of my Congressmen to ask them to do the same.

I also asked them to please make a similar formal request from the Senate floor.

Let's see if anyone in the Senate is courageous enough to broach the subject. Republican Senators, please - line up to speak on this issue!

Congratulations Rep. Pitts!
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've e-mailed Senators Kerry and Kennedy, as well as Congressman Barney Frank.

I asked Senator Kerry to apologize and, if he thought it was necessary, to re-state his remarks in such a way as not to vilify the servicemen and -women who served in Vietnam.

I asked Senator Kennedy and Congressman Frank to go on the record with that position.

If I get any replies, and anyone would like to see them, I'd be happy to post them.

Wink
ASPB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I've e-mailed Senators Kerry and Kennedy, as well as Congressman Barney Frank.

I asked Senator Kerry to apologize and, if he thought it was necessary, to re-state his remarks in such a way as not to vilify the servicemen and -women who served in Vietnam.

I asked Senator Kennedy and Congressman Frank to go on the record with that position.

If I get any replies, and anyone would like to see them, I'd be happy to post them.

Wink

Scott,

Taking any bets on whether or not you'll get a reply?
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Scott,

Taking any bets on whether or not you'll get a reply?

Well...

My father-in-law was a life-long Democrat. Until 2000. Before that, he wrote (on real paper - the last computer he worked with was an IBM 360 Shocked ) a letter to our two Senators and Congressman Frank, asking for their reasons in voting on some bill or other in a way he disagreed with.

Only Congressman Barney Frank sent a reply, and his was mostly boilerplate.

So maybe Barney will answer...but I'm not holding my breath for the "War Hero" or the "Swimming Instructor".

Rolling Eyes
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait...

It's worse than you think...

President Bush just gave Vietnam a huge hunk of money for AIDS programs.

From his AFRICAN initiative.

So essentially, BUSH is in the humiliating position of having to pony up money to the Vietnamese, for crap KERRY said 30+ years ago.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: