SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY Times Response to my email - Updated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: NY Times Response to my email - Updated Reply with quote

Dear <<edited>>,

I appreciate your concerns about The Times's reporting on the explosives missing from the Al Qaqaa site in Iraq. However, I think it is much too early to come to a conclusion that there is error here. I note three factors in particular: NBC News's clarification of their early report; The Times's on-the-record citation of the unit commander who arrived at Al Qaqaa on April 10 asserting that his troops did not conduct a search; and, finally, some mixed signals from the White House.
This story will, I am sure, continue to play out over the next several days. If The Times is indeed in error, that is certain to become clear, and I will say so in print. Until then, I can only suggest that you -- and I -- examine each charge and countercharge very carefully, and examine the evidence fully, before reaching conclusions.

Yours Sincerely,
Daniel Okrent
Public Editor
N.B.: Any opinions expressed here, unless otherwise indicated, are solely my own

this reply was sent from:

public@nytimes.com

Please help me respond

Last edited by noc on Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh brother!!!

didn't it occur to the Times to, as he says..."examine the evidence fully before reaching conclusions" and delay this story until this was done?! Of course not, they had an election to influence!!!
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why has it become policy for MSM to print stories and then try to find "facts" to prove them instead of digging up real facts and then reporting NEWS?

THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING TO ME, and what is just as frustrating, if not more, is that people read this stuff and automatically believe it is true. Whatever happened to critical thinking skills?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And on Novemeber 3rd we will conclude our investigation, decide we were in error, and print a full retraction on page 12...of the theater guide section.

I am not sure what the point is here, in the first place. How is Bush responsible for what may or may not have happened on a particular place during a particular day by a particular unit in a theater of war? Are we now going to take the word of the inffective and incompetent UN inspectors as gospel? Why? Is that Part 1 of The Global Test? Directions: Citing John Kerry and Kofi Annan, state in 300 words or less why the UN inspectors are always correct and why their words are Gospel Truth. Describe in detail how no explosives would have gone missing or been used against us if the UN Inspectors had continued to not be allowed to make the inspections. Use circular logic, because it is the only kind the NYT understands. You have 6 days to complete your answer.

Maybe that is our line of attack. Do we want this war micro managed from the WH like Viet Nam was? Oh yeah, that'll work.

So if we elect John Kerry will he step down immediately upon the first screw up inside Iraq or Afghanistan?

My recommendation is you find the points to refute this (I am sure they are out there, I am just not interested in this story's details because it is BS and I have little tolerance with BS, being a "big picture" kinda person) but refute his points and then end the letter with the arguments I made above.

This explosives thing is as retarded as the flu shot thing.

Last edited by Kimmymac on Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Times motto: "All the news that's full of $#!t."
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked this up off of FreeRepublic.com. It involves the SVPT and Okrent:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1198259/posts

Quote:
Excerpt of correspondence with Public Editor of the NYTimes about Swift Boat Veterans for Truth
The New York Times | 23 Aug. 2004 | Office of the Public Editor

Posted on 08/24/2004 11:20:11 AM EDT by j.cam

[This is a response to my email below]

Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:10:34 -0400

Dear Dr. Camhi,

I'm not justifying anything, I'm relaying to you the result of my raising your concerns with the editors. Other readers have very similar concerns. Mr. Okrent has said that he will be writing about The Times's coverage of Senator Kerry and President Bush at some point between now and the election in November. I will keep your message on file for him to consider when he is ready to write.

Sincerely, Arthur Bovino Office of the Public Editor

[This is the email he was responding to]

At 09:00 PM 8/23/2004, you wrote:

Dear Arthur,

You state: “I raised your concern with senior editors at The Times who explained that the staff is working hard on this issue, and when there's anything reliable to say, as opposed to rumors and suspicions, they intend to report it fully.”

Thank you for responding and raising my concerns with the editors of the NY Times, but I still have concerns:

There were nothing more than rumors and suspicions about Bush being AWOL, yet your paper covered the Bush/AWOL story fully and demanded that Bush release ALL his military records. How do you justify the double standards there? Why does there need to be a higher standard of proof when a Democrat is accused than when a Republican is accused, for your paper to cover the story?

Why has the New York Times not demanded that Kerry, like Bush, release all his military records? Kerry could easily clear up the controversy of his Purple Hearts, yet he would prefer not to.

How does your paper justify giving Joseph Wilson and Richard Clarke more credibility than the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth? Did Wilson and Clarke prove their stories? Did they have more evidence than the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth? How do you justify declaring the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth accusations "rumor's and suspicions" and Wilson and Clarke's accusations “news”? It seems the only possible explanation is extreme partisanship on the part of the NY Times.

How do you justify calling this rumor and suspicion: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040830/opinion/30barone.htm

It is no a rumor that Kerry admitted he was not in Cambodia on Xmas 1968 after 35 years of claiming he was sent there illegally by Nixon (who wasn’t even President then). It is no rumor that Kerry claimed this in 1986 while debating war on the floor of the Senate. It is no rumor that Kerry changed his story at least FIVE times. When the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth proved that Kerry was not in Cambodia in 1968, the Kerry campaign claimed Kerry got the DISTANCE wrong and that he was actually only 5 miles away, so he thought he was in Cambodia. When the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth proved with Kerry’s biography that Kerry was over 50 miles away, Kerry changed his story again, and now claims he got the TIME wrong and was on a top secret mission ferrying Special Service and CIA agents into Cambodia three or four times in January and February 1969. He claims there are no records to prove he was there because it was so Top Secret, but, according to Michael Barone, in his artile "Winter in Cambodia?" which appears in the August 30, 2004 issue of US News and World Report which I linked to above, earlier Kerry claimed that "Everybody was over there [in Cambodia]. Nobody thought twice about it." EVERYBODY was there, but NOBODY, not even his supporters, backs his story??? In addition, in 2000, Kerry told US News and World Report that he was gunrunning to anti-communists in Cambodia. That is FIVE different stories, two of them retracted and two evaporated. These are five stories that cannot be found in the NY Times.

No. Instead, your paper dishes out ad hominem attacks on the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth because much of their funding comes from Republicans. That, of course, does not disprove any of their arguments. Who is going to fund them, George Soros, the DNC, Harvey Weinstein? How are the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth going to get their story out since your paper and the rest of the liberal media don't seem to cover anything that can badly hurt Kerry's campaign? Why haven't you done an article on Kerry's connections to his 527s? Why haven't you done a story discrediting Moveon.org, Soros and their ties to Kerry and the DNC? What about the ties between Harvey Weinstein (the man who funded Michael Moore's tissue of lies “Fahrenheit 9/11”) and his ties to the DNC and the Kerry campaign? What about a story on why and how Moore was given a place of honor at Kerry's convention? What are Moore’s ties to Kerry and the DNC? Has anyone with ties to Kerry and the DNC helped distribute Moore’s film like Hezbollah offered? What about Harvey Weinstein? What about a story showing Somner Redstone's ties to the DNC and Kerry? Redstone is the owner of Viacom, the company that has been putting out anti-Bush books and selling them on its biased "news" show “60 Minutes.” Somner Redstone admits he supports the Democratic Party: he admits he gives them money, just like the Republican who gives money to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. Why doesn’t Redstone’s Democratic ties and money destroy the credibility of the polls you do with Viacom’s CBS?

And why hasn’t your paper pointed out that Wilson, Clarke, and every Veteran who tours with Kerry supporting him, are on or have been on the Kerry campaign payroll?

It is clear that, according to the NY Times, “news” is anything that helps Democrats and hurts Republicans, and “rumor and suspicion” are anything that help Republicans and hurt Democrats. It is also clear that Democratic money and ties are not worth reporting on and do not destroy credibility of pro-Kerry groups while Republican money and ties do destroy the credibility of anti-Kerry groups…. according to the NY Times.

How do you justify these double standards and refer to yourselves as “journalists” and not “propagandists”?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Dr. Joseph M. Camhi

Further down:

Quote:
On December 7, 2003 they ran a page one article claiming that American forces had surrounded and fenced in an innocent Iraqi village, and left the Iraqis with only one way in and out, and they were being bullied by these evil foreigners -- not even anyone who could speak their language. The writer -- clearly projecting his own biases -- compared this "atrocity" to those "atrocities" perpetrated against the innocent Palestinians by the horrific Israeli occupation.

Photos taken the same time that ran with the Times story, showed that the gate was guarded by ICDC (the Iraqi element now called the Iraqi National Guard). In other words, important facts of the Times's story were fabricated and proven false by the very photos the Times photog took to support the story. The photos showed that the villagers were interacting not with the brutal American storm troopers depicted in the story, but with their own countrymen, who were only supported by American firepower and authority.

A protest to Mr Okrent yielded a defence of the fabricated story ("our reporter reported what he saw," without explaing how the camera's eye saw something different), and a mealymouthed "explanation" that "the middle east is a controversial area and both Arab and Israeli sides complain about our coverage." (What he really means: "Drop dead, we're putting you on the Ignore-The-Zionist list.") But in fact my irritation had less to do with the reporter's gratuitous, jarring end-run to drag Israel into the story, than it did with the fact that the Times ran a completely fabricated Page 1 article about Iraq.

What I also knew, but could not say, was that this operaration contributed to the USA and our Iraqi allies receiving actionable intelligence. My correspondence with Mr Okrent was over when this AI yielded the benefit that had only been hoped at the time: Saddam Hussein in irons.

Okrent was never ment to be an ombudsman, which is why he does not have that title. He doesn't want to change anything and instinctively defends the Times, even though the newsroom does not accept him. The Times reporters believe that they alone have Received Truth and resent having anyone question their omniscience. Regardless of the recent scandals. Everyone remembers Jayson Blair, but how many remember that Charlie LeDuff copied an entire feature out of a book? He is still a writer, or perhaps I should say a copyist, at the Times. Okrent's role is to be a fig-leaf of propriety over the nakedness of the Times's partisanship.

It was once a newspaper. Now it is, as you noted, a propaganda sheet, the Völkischer Beobachter of the new order, in headlong free-fall down the elevator shaft of irrelevance.

The Drudge Report is more trusted by more people than the New York Times. And Drudge takes no care with his journalism at all.

d.o.l.

Criminal Number 18F

neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NY Times Flashback: Paper Reported Saddam Transferred High Explosives

As per www.newsmax.com

New York Times needs to read its own paper.
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose to start calling the "news" simply "views".

CBS Views with Dan Rather
ABC Views

Viewspapers...

you get the idea!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OIM and the Daily Views.

I like it!

Why would the NYT want to read their own paper, neverforget? They are too busy reading the new Joe Lockhart talking points, and cashing George Soros' checks. Besides, they have to spend a fair amount of time reading other *journalist's* BS so they can rip it off and claim they wrote it.

It's hard work putting out a viewspaper, ya know!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NYT should have followed their own advice before they ever printed that lie. They make me sick. Evil or Very Mad
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another response from them after I sent them many details that they missed for their report. But rather then post my entire email I mainly stressed that from the time the UN seals had last been checked in March 2003 and the first troops showing up on April 4th, 2003 no evidence was presented that the materials had not already been moved during this time while Saddam was still in power. I gave repeated examples of evidence that show that the materials were not there when we arrived to secure the site. Here is their response:

This email comes from publisher@nytimes.com:

I thought you'd be interested in this response which comes from the Executive Editor.
Our front page story of October 25 reported accurately that a senior official at Iraq's Ministry of Science & Technology informed the International Atomic Energy Agency in a letter on October 10 that the materials were lost from the Al-Qaqaa site after April 9, 2003, through "the theft and looting of the governmental installations due to lack of security." As the story further reported, the IAEA took an inventory of the materials in January, 2003. In early March, right before the beginning of the war, the IAEA went to the site and found that the seals on the bunkers were still intact. Pentagon and White House officials told the Times, as the story says, that the materials vanished sometime after the U.S.-led invasion. The Times story also reported that U.S. forces visited the vast site on their way to Baghdad and saw no materials bearing the IAEA seal.
We
are continuing our reporting on the disappearance.
NBC News subsequently reported that a unit of the 101st Airborne visited the site on April 10 and did not see the explosives. The Republican National Committee and others interpreted this to mean that NBC was saying the explosives were already gone by the time the Americans got there.
However, NBC has disavowed that interpretation. On Tuesday night NBC interviewed its own reporter, who was embedded with the unit that visited Al-Qaqaa. She said the American military did no searching during that visit. The Times reported this morning that, in an interview, the commander of that American unit said his soldiers simply used the site as a camp.
They had no orders to search for weapons, and did not in fact conduct a search. (The Al-Qaqaa site is roughly 40 square miles, and the explosives were widely dispersed among scores of bunkers and other buildings.) As our original story made clear, we do not know what happened to the explosives or when it happened. The story explicitly left open the possibility that the material was removed by Saddam Hussein's government or someone else before the Americans arrived. But that, apparently, is not what the current Iraqi government believes, or what officials at the IAEA and within our own government suspect.

As unlikely as it is, the NY Times continues to stand behind this trash piece of reporting. So help give them one more blast of your opinion. Wink

public@nytimes.com
publisher@nytimes.com

btw, I BCC the entire media list each time I respond to them in order for the all the media outlets to see how blind the NY Times really is.
davman
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Contact thier advertisers Reply with quote

Contact thier advertisers and let them know we don't want to do business with those who advertise in that rag!

1) Macys Macy's East Corporate Headquarters
151 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
Phone: (212) 695-4400
Fax: (212)-494-1057 James E. Gray

2) Bloomingdales Bloomingdales 1000 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Phone: (212)-705-2000
Fax: (513)-573-2958 Edward Hallman

3) Dell Dell Computer Corporation
One Dell Way
Round Rock, TX 78682
Phone: (512)-338-4400
Fax: (512)-728-3653 Pres/COO, James Schneider

4) Saks Saks, INC.
750 Lakeshore Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35211
Phone: (205)-940-4000
Fax: (423)-981-6325 Pres/CAO, J. Coggin

5) Tiffany Tiffany & Co.
727 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Phone: (212)-755-8000
Fax: (212)-605-4465 Pres/CEO, Patrick B. Dorsey

6) Lord & Taylor The May Department Store Company
611 Olive Street
St. Louis, MO 63101-1799
Phone: (314)-342-6300
Fax: (314)-605-4465 Pres/CEO, Jane T. Elfers

7) Greenpoint Bank Greenpoint Financial Corp.
90 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Phone: (212)-834-1000
Fax: (212)-834-1403 Pres/COO, Bharat B. Bhatt

AT&T Wireless AT&T Wireless Services
7277 164th Avenue NE
Building 1
Redmond, WA 98052
Phone: (425)-580-6000
Fax: (425)-580-8505 Chmn./CEO John D. Zaglis

9) Syms Syms Corp
Syms Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094
Phone: (201)-902-9600
Fax: (201)-902-9874 Pres/CEO, Marcy Syms

10) Fleet Bank FleetBoston Financial
100 Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110
Phone: (617)-434-2200
Fax: (617)-434-6943 Pres/CEO, Charles K. Gifford
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: