SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are any other schools doing this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somebunny
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Are any other schools doing this? Reply with quote

I just got an email from the PTA at my daughter's school. Her school is a voting place on Tuesday. The school has asked the PTA to provide extra SECURITY!

They want parent volunteers to monitor the doors all day Friday, Monday, and 8 am- 9 pm on Tuesday. Don't you think this is kind above and beyond what PTA is for?

I am seriously considering just letting my daughter stay home on Tuesday, but then if I do that, the terrorists win anyways, because they want us to be afraid. I'm not sure what to do, but I think it's crazy to ask the PTA to provide security!

What do ya'll think?
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Security is needed, I don't know whose job it is to provide it (and fund it) but it NOT the job of the Parent-Teacher Association of a school that has been designated a polling place. I would be inclined to contact my local news media about this if this call had gone out from my kids' school. It's wrong!
Richard Christiansen
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you hear Rush telling today about somewhere they are letting kids out of school to help register voters and then call on them to remind them to vote? You guessed it. The organization behind it is Democrat, probably in heavily Democrat areas.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Schools do not have Classes on Election Day. Has been that way for some time, too many people coming into the schools was considered a Security/Safetey Risk and it was easier to not have classes.
It makes sense though, that they are asking for help, but I am not sure it is the best idea.
momofthreegirls
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably weren't thinking of terrorist activity. They are probably thinking more along the lines of keeping unauthorized people out of the classrooms. It is probably more about "stranger danger" than anything else. More than likely they want extra eyes and ears in the halls and such.
You would think that local law enforcement agencies and the school district would have thought about this by now and have a plan to deal with security.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momofthreegirls wrote:
They probably weren't thinking of terrorist activity. They are probably thinking more along the lines of keeping unauthorized people out of the classrooms. It is probably more about "stranger danger" than anything else. More than likely they want extra eyes and ears in the halls and such.
You wouldthink that local law enforcement agencies would have thought about this by now and have a plan to deal with security. Rolling Eyes

I agree that it is more about "stanger danger". A school here was locked down yesterday because of an intruder.
Somebunny
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the Superintendent office and they weren't even aware that the school was doing this. I told them I completely agree and support the idea, and want our children to be safe, but if it is that big a concern that maybe they should have people who are qualified to provide security.

They said they would look into it. I'm sure ya'll are right, that it's more stranger danger than terrorism they are worried about. But still, I think that they should post a sheriff's deputy at the door if it's that big a concern. At least they would have a gun!
momofthreegirls
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebunny wrote:
I called the Superintendent office and they weren't even aware that the school was doing this. I told them I completely agree and support the idea, and want our children to be safe, but if it is that big a concern that maybe they should have people who are qualified to provide security.

They said they would look into it. I'm sure ya'll are right, that it's more stranger danger than terrorism they are worried about. But still, I think that they should post a sheriff's deputy at the door if it's that big a concern. At least they would have a gun!

It sounds like the principal is going to be getting a little call from the boss today. Wink
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this brings back vivid memories of the nixon kennedy race. I was a little kid and they had us vote . it was used to determine how the parents were voting. kennedy all the way that day .. There was a poll recently about this and that poll has picked the winner everytime. little kids vote the way they hear their parents talk. Now, i'm not sure how ethical it is to poll little children to determine how their parents are voting, but it's been done many times
the security thing sounds bizzare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: