SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"WE HAD TO DESTROY THE VILLAGE" IS A LIE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USARV67
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: "WE HAD TO DESTROY THE VILLAGE" IS A LIE Reply with quote

I read an article in the current issue of Smithsonian Magazine by a pointy headed professor from Johns Hopkins University. He reviews the Tet Offensive of 1967, and then quotes Peter Arnett of CNN, who supposedly quoted an Amrican officer:

"We had to destroy the village in order to save it."

Now this remark is so widely repeated that it has become something of a legend. Does it sound sensible? No, it does not. Why then would an officer say such a thing? Nobody did, except Peter Arnett.

In fact, that village was destroyed by Viet Cong mortar and artillery fire.
You can read Mona Charen's convincing documentation of that fact in "Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First," by Mona Charen. It is on page 33.

Let's refute all the lies and disinformation about the armed forces, shall we?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with ya! So are a whole crowd of others.

The only people who still believe Peter Arnett are Baghdad Bob and Saddam Hussein.

I'm REALLY going to have to get that book. This board has cost me a mint in new books, since I joined! Very Happy

Thanks for weighing in. The correction of the history books regarding the Vietnam war will probably take fifty years - but.... it's going to take fifty years whether we start on it now or leave it to our grandchildren to start, fifty years from now. I'd prefer to start now, while so many eyewitnesses and participants remember. Your memories and documents from that time are priceless in this effort.

Write it all down. Everything you remember.

Photocopy your letters home, if relatives still have them.

Print everything on acid and lignin-free paper, so that they will last for the decades or even centuries.

The rehabilitation and restoration of the image of the Vietnam soldier can come about while they're still alive to see it happening - it's already happening now, thanks to the brave men who have come forward to tell the truth about Traitor Kerry and his slander, lies and deceit.

They've begun this massive correction of the record.

Let's be part of it! Smile

Welcome aboard!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me correctly, Peter Arnett filmed with the VC after the US left Vietnam. During Gulf War one, he showed his allegiance by reporting for Saddam. How can we forget the hand painted, in English sign, "Baby Milk Facotry?"

He also heavily contributed to the series, Vietnam, the 10,000 Day War, which made every effort to show just how pitiful we were in Vietnam.

In my book, he is lower than a snakes belly. Evil or Very Mad
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why anyone would think that "Baghdad Pete" has any credibility left is beyond me.
He reminds me Walter Duranty, the 1930's New York Times reporter whose reporting from the Soviet Union earned him the Pulitzer Prize. Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: