SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celebrity Alert: Yes, but how many more support Kerry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry DevilDon, totally false and untrue.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/noface.htm
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, my bad. I guess I just wanted to believe that one.
NYCnative
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Dennis Miller.. Bruce Willis

"Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof." -Inscription on the Liberty Bell
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCnative wrote:
How about Dennis Miller.. Bruce Willis

Straight Thinkers Both! Thank a Higher Power that at least Miller has 4 hours a week on CNBC. Doing his gig in Burbank at the NBC Studios has gotta be he hell! At least he lives in Santa Barbara where a "few" right thinkers live.

Ya know, it's really hard to find anyone with a discerning mind in California outside of the Central Valley and Orange County to have as guests on Miller's program.

Unfortunately most of the population of the "Gold gone Grey (as in Davis) State" live in LaLa Land, San Franleftco, and Berzerkly! I never thought I'd come to believe that the only sane people in California are the Vietnamese Boat People in Orange County and San Jose! But it seems true.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he's not a powerhouse marquee name anymore, but can I mention Charleton Heston?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that.
NYCnative
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilDon wrote:
I know he's not a powerhouse marquee name anymore, but can I mention Charleton Heston?

Of course! He's the man......
Good one.

"Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof." -Inscription on the Liberty Bell
keefer fm MD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Sajak from 'Wheel of Fortune" and Kelsey "Fraser" Grammer are good Republicans. Ted Nugent is a big conservative, gun-totin' guy too. It's funny, I look at a lot of the Hollywood types differently since they started spewing rot from their mouths. I didn't even watch the last season of "Friends" because of Jennifer Aniston. I refuse to watch M*A*S*H* reruns, and this was my favorite comedy.

Swiftvets rock!!!
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DevilDon wrote:
When he was placed on a gurney, a nurse remarked to her horror, that this young man no longer had a face. His eye socket was smashed, his skull, legs and arms fractured, his nose literally hanging from his face, all his teeth were gone, and his jaw was almost completely torn from his skull.

The young man was and is..........Mel Gibson

His life was the inspiration for his production of the movie "The Man Without A Face."

This reminds me of two other Internet hoax tall tales (1) that Mr. Rogers was a SEAL, and (2) that a real wounded Marine, Lee Marvin, told Johnny Carson that the post WW-II Marine Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) was the bravest Marine he ever saw and wounded at Iwo Jima.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phu Cat, those are also some of my favorite urban legends. Laughing

Lee Marvin was indeed a Marine and was wounded in his butt on Siapan in WW2. Bob (Capt. Kangaroo) Keeshan was also a Marine, but never saw action, enlisting right after WW2 due to his age.

http://www.snopes.com/military/keeshan.htm

Fred Rogers, for whatever reason, never served in any branch of the military

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

There is a huge difference in the Hollywwod of today and from back in the 40's. Stars also enlisted back then and fought as regular G.I.s and officers. Jimmy Stewart, Tyrone Power, Clark Gable, Lee Marvin (although he wasn't yet an actor), and more. Some that couldn't enlist did their best to entertain the troops and build their morale. Bob Hope and several female stars come to mind. It seemed all of Hollywood supported the efforts of the military and country to end facism and nazism.

Today, it's just the opposite. Multi-billionare "stars" line up to denigrate the country that afforded them their opportunity to gain that same wealth and keep them free to film and produce whatever trash they desire.

I remember when I was in Pleiku picking up my manifest ticket to leave country for the last time, late December 1970. A weird looking due wearing jungle fatigues sporting Captains bars on one lapel and Army Warrant Officer on the other ran up to me and threw his arm around me while another dude snapped a Polaroid of us. I didn't even recognize him then, what with longer hair and seeing him in person, but it was Rick Jason, the actor that starred in the TV series "Combat" as the Lieutenant.

Even though leaving country for the final time, it sort of felt good that a celebrity would actually be there just to see us little enlisted guys and whoever else. I still have the picture, even though it's faded and streaked, but you can make out his autograph on the back just fine.

Another celebrity that comes to mind that may not be so far left is Ann Margaret. Not too sure of her political leanings today, but she sure made time for us guys that did Nam;

Quote:
Richard my husband, never really talked about his time in Vietnam other then he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12:00 for a 7:30 book signing.

When I got there after work, the line was way around the bookstore, circling the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage.

Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted. Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely Gis so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever, and as second in line it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it." She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Vietnam and I most certainly will sign the photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for "My Gentlemen".

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't to many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the first time anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army", he said. Richard, like many others, came home to people who spit on him and shouted ugly things at him. That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how a much that small act of kindness meant to my husband. I now make it a point to say Thank You to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces.

Freedom does not come cheap, and I am grateful for all those who have served their country. If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so. Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how important it is to acknowledge the contribution our service people make.

Snopes carries this account as true. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/margret.asp
NYCnative
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keefer fm MD wrote:
Pat Sajak from 'Wheel of Fortune" and Kelsey "Fraser" Grammer are good Republicans. Ted Nugent is a big conservative, gun-totin' guy too. It's funny, I look at a lot of the Hollywood types differently since they started spewing rot from their mouths. I didn't even watch the last season of "Friends" because of Jennifer Aniston. I refuse to watch M*A*S*H* reruns, and this was my favorite comedy.

Swiftvets rock!!!

I love Lew's story about Ann Margaret!

I can't watch Friends and Mash also. Jennifer and Brad walked into some office where one of the Bush girls was working (she worked in a media or entertainment company) and felt it necessary to yell some nasty stuff at her. I don't remember the actual comments, but it was typical of these holier-than-thou Hollywood A-holes. There is a book out with the story in it. Not, shut up and sing. Something about the Left coast.

Ed Asner turned out to be a real pompous ass too!

hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
Richard my husband, never really talked about his time in Vietnam other then he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12:00 for a 7:30 book signing.

Snopes carries this account as true. http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/margret.asp

I contacted Ann Margret's web site a few years ago to see if the story is true, never got an answer. The snopes people must be more persistent than I.

PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCnative wrote:
keefer fm MD wrote:

Swiftvets rock!!!

I love Lew's story about Ann Margaret!

I can't watch Friends and Mash also. Jennifer and Brad walked into some office where one of the Bush girls was working

Jennifer Anniston? and Brad Who? I am not on a first name basis with entertainers, except perhaps Charo.

I think Pat Sajak is a Vietnam War veteran. Another Hollywood type that supposedly served in Vietnam is Richard Kline, in the cast of "Three's Company" as the lounge lizard and car salesman Larry. There was a story on Richard Kline that he had been struck by lightning while exiting a helicopter in Vietnam.

I never watch Friends, a beyond inane production if there ever was one.

JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he died in the-mid nineties one of my Hollywood 'heroes' was Raymond Burr. I have no idea what his politically view was, but in late May of '65 while working on our bunker I looked up to see Perry Mason! No entourage, press or anyone else. Just him. He stopped and just threw the bull for a couple of minute. I never heard anything before or after about his even being in country.

Of course at that time we mistakenly thought the whole Nation was behind us, so it didn't seem like that big a deal at the time. With the each of the following 39 years those few seconds have become a fonder, warmer memory of that era.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: