SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Wolfe quote

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Tom Wolfe quote Reply with quote

This is just too good not to post:

Quote:
"Indeed, I was at a similar dinner, listening to the same conversation, and said: 'If all else fails, you can vote for Bush.' People looked at me as if I had just said: 'Oh, I forgot to tell you, I am a child molester.' I would vote for Bush if for no other reason than to be at the airport waving off all the people who say they are going to London if he wins again. Someone has got to stay behind...

I think support for Bush is about not wanting to be led by East-coast pretensions. It is about not wanting to be led by people who are forever trying to force their twisted sense of morality onto us, which is a non-morality. That is constantly done, and there is real resentment."

(For those who do not know Tom Wolfe is a very successful author of novels, living in NY. He is in fact considered the darling of the literari set. Which is what makes his quote so refreshing.)

Last edited by Anker-Klanker on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they had all promised to go to France?
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did say they all wanted to go to France, and then, they flip-flopped. Guess they didn't want to deal with the scent of unwashed bodies, eat snails, and generally give up the way of life they have here. Guess they aren't so dedicated after all, huh? Razz Razz Razz
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Tom W Reply with quote

He is just a great writer but I would have been the house he was a card carrying lib. I have friends who will break down in tears when they read those words from his mouth.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, given Tom Wolfe's writings, I would have guessed he was too sharp to be a leftist. He has a great and very finely honed sense of the ridiculous, which would mean that he would see through the antics of this current Democrat party.

Bonfire of the Vanities was a great book, and a perfect example of his parody of the self-important. Kerry would make great fodder for Wolfe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Election Day 2004 - Read Only All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: