SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning to Travelers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

What with the Veterans Protest coming soon, I thought relaying my experience this past weekend might benefit some of you traveling to Washington D.C.

After a wonderful weekend at a friends in Phoenix Arizona, meeting some online friends and getting married, we had to leave to fly home. Since we did the wedding in a Civil War theme, I carried a replica sword and replica pistol. I expected some grief from the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) over these items, as they are very authentic looking. However, after close scrutiny of them inside the locked metal carry case, they were not a problem.

After landing in Portland, Oregon, like others on the flight, we go to retrieve our baggage. Since I left with more than I came with, my suitcase was over packed and hard to close, the reason I wasn't surprised to see my suitcase come down the conveyor belt opened and taped shut. I figured it burst open in fight and some baggage handler was kind enough to wrap it in packing tape to keep its contents secure for the flight.

After getting it home and checking the contents, I discovered this was not the case. Everything was scattered and no longer folded, just jammed in best it could fit. Under the first layer, I found a card from TSA that said, NOTIFICATION OF BAGGAGE INSPECTION. My concern led me to go ballistic when I read the card.

On it, it says that my bag was chosen for a random "physical inspection." The card continues, " During the inspection, your bag and its contents may have been searched for prohibited items. At the completion of the inspection, the contents were returned to your bag, which was resealed."

The next paragraph says, "If the TSA screener was unable to open your bag for inspection because it was locked, the screener may have been forced to break the locks on your bag. TSA sincerely regrets having to do this, and has taken care to reseal your bag upon completion of inspection. However, TSA is not liable for damage to your locks resulting from this necessary security precaution."

What made me go ballistic is that I cooperated fully with TSA every step of the way. NO ONE EVER PAGED ME TO ASK FOR THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!! Had they, I would have gladly given them my keys or accompanied them to wherever the bag was to stand by while they opened it and inspected their hearts away, as I did for the locked case containing the sword and pistol.

Not only did they destroy the locks on the bag, instead of simply unhooking the netting securing clothes on one side, they virtually ripped the hooks out of the elastic. Additionally, I kept the copy of the vows the preacher spoke as a keepsake, placing them between the chessboard and chess set my wife's sister brought and gave us. They were wadded up and thrown back in the case.

To say I'm ticked is a gross understatement.

I have expressed my strong displeasure to both the TSA and United Airlines and am awaiting some reply. I understand and am willing to fully cooperate with security measures, but to me, this was totally inexcusable as no one made even the slightest effort to request the key. Time wise, we had about 45 minutes waiting at Phoenix and almost 3 hours at San Francisco for the flights.

I don't know what, if anything, will come of this, but I intend to also complain to every Congressional Representative covering this area and maybe even the Whitehouse.

I figure someone owes me a suitcase, but skeptical as to whether or not I'll see one. Regardless, this is no way for any traveler to be treated.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:

I figure someone owes me a suitcase, but skeptical as to whether or not I'll see one. Regardless, this is no way for any traveler to be treated.

Remember,

You can largely thank the Islamofascist Terrorists and their appeasers and supporters (a.k.a., the American Left and the Democratic Party) for this 'inconvenience.'

FDL
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:

I agree.

Prudence has told me for a long time to never have anything valuable in my suitcase. Now it appears we have to leave them unlocked as well. Regardless, your belongings should be handled with care and locks should not be broken without ,at least, trying to obtain a key from the owner.

Keep me posted.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: TSA & Locks Reply with quote

It happens. There are two points that you made which means that TSA & United are not responsible. Virtually all over every airport are signs warning passengers to unlock theor bags. Too bad you missed them. Second, you did admit to overfilling your suitcase. Second mistake. The TSA baggage handlers, AKA "Bomb Catchers", usually process 100 bags per hour, depending on the airport & flight loads. Some more, some less. The point is, there isn't enough time to repack every bag perfectly. When they are overfilled & need to get on the airplane, then speed is what counts. The other option was to not let the bag go. That really pi**e* off the passenger*. So.... sorry you ran into some possibly inexperienced TSA screeners, but the other option would have been worse for you. How do I know all of this? I worked for that outfit for a year. Hard work, crummy working conditions, not veteran friendly, but I worked with some really dedicated people who cared about the safety of the flying public. Next time, bring an extra bag & don't lock them. You cant imagine the stuff we found in suitcases. By the way, don't believe that it was a random search. The Xray equipment saw something that it read as a possible threat. Better safe than............
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Better safe than............

Didn't some six million people once believe that, as they were lead off to Concentration camps and annihilation?

Quote:
There are two points that you made which means that TSA & United are not responsible

There are PAs all over the airport also. I was specifically told to lock the baggage, I would be paged if a problem was found. Random or not, a simple request would have solved any problem long before it happened.

Increased security does not mean we have trashed the constitution or given up any freedoms.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” Amendment 4, US Constitution.

Even with a suspicion, citizens used to have some rights. Had I refused to comply, for everyones safety, breaking open the locks would have been reasonable. The point being, no effort was made to request compliance.

At San Francisco, where I believe it was done, the plane was filled to capacity and extra searches were announced. Everyone that was chosen gave full compliance. In fact, one passenger was wearing a turban. He was not searched or made to take off the turban. His religion, his right. There was absolutely nothing in my suitcase that hasn’t gone through screening before.

Even if they thought there may have been something of interest contained in the suitcase, a simple request for unlocking could have prevented much grief. There was no excuse for ripping the elastic apart instead of unhooking the netting or crumpling up of the keepsake papers I had in there.

There may be nothing I can accomplish about it, but I won’t sit by and say nothing about Gestapo tactics or not speak out as our Constitution is further destroyed, be it coming from the left or the right. If terrorists and battlefield detainees have rights, why doesn’t the common citizen?
ASPB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key Travel Tips from the TSA Website. Note especially the information on locks.

Quote:
Following these tips will help you reduce your wait time at the security checkpoint.
Before the Airport
• Do NOT pack or bring prohibited items to the airport. Read the Permitted and Prohibited Items list (PDF 319KB).
o Place valuables such as jewelry, cash, laptop computers, and cash in carry-on baggage only.
o Check here for tips on carrying summer equipment.
• Avoid wearing shoes, clothing, jewelry, and accessories that contain metal. Metal items may set off the alarm on the metal detector.
• Put all undeveloped film and cameras with film in your carry-on baggage. Checked baggage screening equipment will damage undeveloped film.
• Declare firearms & ammunition to your airline and place it in your checked baggage.
• If you wish to lock your baggage, use a TSA recognized lock.
• Please remember that all fireworks are prohibited on all aircraft.
At the Airport
Keep available your airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID for each adult traveler until you exit the security checkpoint.
• Place the following items IN your carry-on baggage prior to entering the screening checkpoint:
o Mobile phones
o keys
o Loose change
o Money clips
o PDA's
o Lighters
o Large amounts of Jewelry
o Metal hair decorations
o Large belt buckles
• Take your laptop & Video Camera OUT of their case
• Take OFF any outer jackets (you do not have to remove your sport jacket)

Accepted and Recognized Locks
The list below identifies locks that are “accepted and recognized” by TSA, which means that TSA screeners can open and re-lock these bags for security screening instead of cutting the lock. TSA screeners have tools for all TSA accepted and recognized locks that enable them to open the lock without damaging it if a physical inspection is required.
Some of the locks listed below are specific brands. Other names on the lists are manufacturers that produce a wide variety of locks, only some of which are accepted and recognized by TSA. We recommend that you check the packaging to ensure that it has language similar to "accepted and recognized" by TSA if you plan on using the lock for air travel. Most locks on the market are not TSA-recognized. This list will be updated periodically to provide the latest list of brands that are TSA accepted and recognized.
Brand Name:
• American Tourister Accessories
• Atlantic Luggage
• Austin House Travel Essentials
• Brookstone Easy Check
• Eagle Creek Travel Safe
• EasyGo
• eBags
• Franzus Travel Smart
• Lewis N Clark
• Master Lock
• Prestolock SearchAlert
• Royal Traveller by Samsonite Accessories
• Samsonite Accessories
• Samsonite Luggage
• Sharper Image
• Target Embark
• Voltage Valet
TSA also has the ability to open luggage from some other luggage and/or lock manufacturers not listed above, although time pressures may require screeners to cut these locks rather than open them because there are many manufacturers, each using multiple master keys. It is very important to TSA that your baggage makes it onto your plane, and we will do everything possible to balance that need with security and customer service considerations. Screeners will always strive to open a bag, if required, without breaking the lock.

Last edited by ASPB on Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
djv
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find your story suprising.
Almost since 9-11, locks are not allowed at O'hare airport in Chicago. Both American and United did a very breif search inside before the bag was loaded on the conveyor belt. They then used one of the clinch clips to "lock" it.

I didn't really mind except the bag was opened in public and two I have trouble getting the cinch clip since I can't carry a knife or scissors.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed warnings about not locking bags for quite some time.

On both of my last trips to VN (March & May), I had that TSA notice inside all my checked luggage. Perhaps they check all the int'l luggage.

Anyway, I'd venture a guess you haven't a chance of getting new luggage.

Doug
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we all forgotten that it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people? Kerry, Bush, Democrat, Republican, doesn't make a hill of beans if we surrender our liberty and freedom to any ruling class.

Look around you and watch as we are increasingly herded around like sheep and cattle being led off to slaughter. And now, we just sit back and allow an agency to be established that at the best is inept of much except destruction of private property under the guise of "protecting" us. No one is responsible, liable or held accountable. Rudeness is the order of the day and we just accept it.

We have allowed two ruling classes to be established that basically mistreat us differently. And then, we actively campaign for the type of mistreatment we prefer. As much as I like George Bush, he is but one man. We also have two houses set up filled with disagreeing men and just sit back and idly accept whatever they deem to be law, even though they exempted themselves from those same laws not too long ago.

My broken luggage is actually very minor compared to what we have really allowed to be stolen from us, but it is just another example. And what happens, we blindly support their continued robbery of our freedoms, as long as it our preferred ruling class.

Did we all fight in a war to subject ourselves to being led around like cattle? I didn't. For some examples of how effecient this new "safety net" of our is, read the following article;

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/news/nation-world/airportinsecurity/breaches/

At the founding of our great country, it was said: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

With that, I thank you all for allowing me to speak my piece over here and will now bid you all adieu. My continued fight is for our real liberty to be restored, not just choosing my preferred ruling class.
B_Francis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
LewWaters wrote:

Remember,

You can largely thank the Islamofascist Terrorists and their appeasers and supporters (a.k.a., the American Left and the Democratic Party) for this 'inconvenience.'

FDL

Rolling Eyes ..yeah. all the deomecrats I know are terrorists. Rolling Eyes
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

B_Francis wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
LewWaters wrote:

Remember,

FDL

Not all and not terrorists, but terrorist appeasers and supporters.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

B_Francis wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
LewWaters wrote:

Remember,

FDL

Sir,

Perhaps you should turn them in to Homeland Security.

Twisted Evil

FDL
B_Francis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
B_Francis wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
LewWaters wrote:

Remember,

FDL

Sir,

Twisted Evil

FDL

I would if my previous post was not sarcasm.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Francis wrote:
Rolling Eyes ...yeah. all the deomecrats I know are terrorists. Rolling Eyes

fortdixlover wrote:

Sir,

Twisted Evil

FDL

B_Francis wrote:

You missed the point B_Francis -- Democrats (as reported in the media) do not consider terrorists to be a direct thread to the USA as long as we're not putting "boots on the ground" in the Middle East. The Democrats themselves have not been accused of terrorism, but they believe that terrorists attacked us because of GWB's policies.

Rubbish. We have been at war with them, at the very least, since they blew a hole in the side of the USS Cole. That's an Act Of War my friend; Slick Willie just chose to gloss over it.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to Travelers Reply with quote

B_Francis wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
B_Francis wrote:
fortdixlover wrote:
LewWaters wrote:

Remember,

FDL

Sir,

Twisted Evil

FDL

That you answered my rather sarcastic post in the way you did is a sign of something, but I'll leave it up to other readers to decide exactly what.

However, I will afford you a lesson in emoticons: Twisted Evil means "Twisted", a.k.a., both contempt and sarcasm.

Best,

FDL
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: