SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tour of Duty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Tour of Duty Reply with quote

The week before the election, I was going through TOUR OF DUTY in preparation for a radio interview. (I was on GRIDLEY with Kerry) As I was reading the chapter on GRIDLEY, it hit me again how poorly researched this book was. At one point, he talks about Kerry doing his thing about the WWII history of sites they were passing through.

He talks about passing through the Solomon Islands on the way from Guam to Subic Bay, linking in a little Kennedy history. The only problem is that the Solomon Islands are down near New Guinea, thousands of miles to the south!

The truth of the matter is that we went from Guam to Subic via the San Bernardino Strait and the Sibuyan Sea. Right through the middle of the Philippines. The year before (1967) Gridley was the first warship to transit this area since a Japanese Fleet burst out of there in the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

That interesting bit of trivia aside, is there any purpose to doing a detailed analysis of TOUR OF DUTY to expose what a sloppy hero worship piece of trash it was? Sounds to me like a great job for a team of graduate students.

I can only speak for the period of time when he was on GRIDLEY but would certainly be willing to participate. Brinkley is still out there spewing his trash.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea. Brinkley drives me nuts.

Thinks he's such a great historian ! The sad thing is, it doesn't seem like

it would have been that difficult to check the facts out. He lives in fear that

it will all come out and then his reputation will be ruined... with the liberals.

Any other discrepancies in the book would be good to know.

The more ammo, the better.

So, you've been in the presence of the high and mighty? Laughing

Might want to take another shower Laughing Laughing .... icky! I would! Laughing
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcarter wrote:
...is there any purpose to doing a detailed analysis of TOUR OF DUTY...a great job for a team of graduate students....

Sounds like a job for:

VIETNAM VETERANS FOR ACADEMIC REFORM
The University of Kansas Student Auxiliary
V.V.A.R.: Leading the student revolt on campus against speech codes, political correctness, multiculturalism, gender feminism, dormitory re-education, lying about Vietnam, and other instruments of academic oppression.

The contact listed is:

Leonard Magruder - Founder/President
Former professor of psychology - Suffolk College, N.Y.
Member: National Association of Scholars
(All V.V.A.R. articles on site may be reproduced in any form.)
http://www.i-served.com/MagruderArticlesIndex.html

PW, I would have sent your suggestion but didn't want to steal your thunder. If asked, the Swiftees might even find a way to use some residual money for a grant to carry out such an analysis.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is reading the Newsweek series, you can see that while the article is critical of the Democrats and Kerry during the campaign, they rea still repeating the line about the "discredited Swift Boat people". If we don't do something, that is the way it is going to go in the history books.
tiptie
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball are the two Newsweek reporters that tore apart Moore's 9/11 movie for idiots back in the June 30th issue.

I wonder if they might be interested in such an endeavor? It certainly would be good reading to analyze Tour of Duty and Unfit for Command.

I have not dug into these two reporter's views since this article, so I do not know their agenda.

They would need to interview O’Neal.

USCG
61-69
F. Rottles
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Kerry the aboard tour guide? Reply with quote

pwcarter, as you served on the Gridley with Kerry, can you help make sense of what he speaks about in the following snippet from the Q & A in his appearance before the Senate Committee in 1971?

Quote:

Chairman: This is inspired by your reply to the Senator from Missouri's question. Did you happen to see a documentary called, "The Selling of the Pentagon"?

Mr. Kerry: Yes, I did. I thought it was the most powerful and persuasive and helpful documentary in recent years.

The Chairman: But you know what happened to CBS? They have been pilloried by the-

Mr. Kerry: They are doing all right.

The Chairman: You think they can defend themselves?

Mr. Kerry: I think they have; yes, sir. I think the public opinion in this country believes that, "The Selling of the Pentagon." I was a public information officer before I went to Vietnam and I know that those things were just the way they said because I conducted several of those tours on a ship, and I have seen my own men wait hours until people got away, and I have seen cooks put on special uniforms for them.

I have seen good food come out for visitors and everything else. It really happens.

As far as you know, was Kerry a public information officer on the Gridley? Did he conduct tours?
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry was the PIO on GRIDLEY. It is always a job given to boot Ensigns.

After I left the ship in May 68, GRIDLEY went from Subic to take part in the Coral Sea Festival, as we had the year before. I believe GRIDLEY went to New Zealand.

It would have been normal to have open houses and to have visiting dignitaries from the Government and military people. These trips were highly prized by crews even though hard work was involved preping for the visits. I am not sure what he meant about food. GRIDLEY won the Ney award for the best feeding ship in the Pac Fleet.

I recently helped a young Kiwi girl find her father after 37 years if that gives you any indication of why these visits were popular with the crew!

I am not familiar with the selling of the Pentagon so I don't know the context here.
OKLady
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a detailed review of both tour of duty and unfit for command would be a good job for an "independent" group. If you just analyze one book, there would be mention that the reviewer is biased. Analyze both and the criticism might be less.

An analysis of the various documentaries (Stolen Honor and the pro Kerry one) would be interesting to see which one is more "biased" or if they are true documentaries.....
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKLady wrote:
I think that a detailed review of both tour of duty and unfit for command would be a good job for an "independent" group. If you just analyze one book, there would be mention that the reviewer is biased. Analyze both and the criticism might be less.

An analysis of the various documentaries (Stolen Honor and the pro Kerry one) would be interesting to see which one is more "biased" or if they are true documentaries.....

I fully agree. Tour of Duty deserves careful scrutiny by those who have the facts. It already led to the Cambodia story. It is doubtful that a lightweight like Brinkley would know enough about the Navy and the military in general to know what is and is not important. He may well have inadvertently left additional clues as to other important "facts" in Kerry's diary.

Let's keep going until Kerry gives it up.
Bernard Cullen
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKLady wrote:

I fully agree. Tour of Duty deserves careful scrutiny by those who have the facts. It already led to the Cambodia story. It is doubtful that a lightweight like Brinkley would know enough about the Navy and the military in general to know what is and is not important. He may well have inadvertently left additional clues as to other important "facts" in Kerry's diary.

Let's keep going until Kerry gives it up.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that there are enough people on board that are willing to dig for details - a team could take this book apart in pretty short order. It will require that we actually purchase this <gag> POC, but maybe if we find it in used bookstores, it wouldn't be so painful to buy? Wink
a.t.beagle
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNN

There are over a dozen copies of Tour of Duty listed on ebay for as low as $5. Incidentally, that is where I got my copy of "Unfit for Command" when none of the bookstores had it.

P.S. Walmart is now carrying "Unfit for Command", next to it was Moores book which I nonchalantly deposited behind the shelves. Will be there until the shelves are moved. Silly thing to do, but enjoyed it, lol.
skidlid
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Navy,or anyone else interested, I will donate my copy of Tour of Duty-paperback version w/ epilogue to the research project. Just let me know where to send it.

Skidlid
ChuLai,DaNang,QuanNgai,DucPho,Hue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: