SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They just don't get it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50Bravo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: They just don't get it Reply with quote

i had time during an election night rally to speak to a local TV newsie. I asked him why the mainstream media seemed so disinterested in John kerry's record both in country and in the US and Paris.

I was told that it was just one set of "attack politics versus another" i told the kid that if ABC was as excited about the quality of discharge and officer receives after he goes inactive or the genesis of purple heart awards as they are about flight phyicals and flight status in the reserves and NG, that'd STILL have been ok.

Then i thought for a minute and said, you know, it's been 30+ yaers. i thoguth i was over John Kerry, jane Fonda and the whole southeast asia cluster party. Then John stuck his ugly little head up, the Swiftvets said, "not this time" and there I was... pissed off again. This isn't about politics like you kids think of it. This is a blood debt that I owe the people I left there and now John is reachable. Thnak God he came out of his hole and thank God we tatooed that sob this time.

The kid (probably mid 30's) just looked at me. gawd I felt old. Wink
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on 50Bravo!

You've got one hell of a lot of your younger brothers and sisters standing with you, today. This Swiftees phenomenon has blown the lid on a whole lot of stuff that has been hidden away in the dark.

We stand with you - thank you for your service!
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to share the sentiment of 50Bravo. I never cared that much about John Kerry or what he did in the 70's. It was only after the Swifties came forward courageously that I found that I did care...a lot. I was briefly interviewed by a radio reporter on Sunday, October 31, and my experience was somewhat the same. The young man seemed earnest, fair and competent, and genuinely shocked that Viet Nam vets felt so strongly about the Kerry candidacy.
Rich
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrys actions after Vietnam have always stuck in my craw. I lack the words to describe my joy over him and the princess not getting into the WhiteHouse. Ive never casted a vote for a Democrat in my life so what the Swiftees did, for me at least, was irrelevant. I despised Kerry plenty already.

But the swiftees and their allies DID have a huge impact on much of the rest of the electorate. In my opinion the swiftees were the deciding factor in the election. If it wasnt for them we'd be calling Kerry MR. President right now.

What these boat guys did was HUGE!!!...........Rich
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't limit it to the Swiftboats vets, other than getting the story out. I think in the final count, it was active-duty military and veterans that did Kerry in. Veterans, their families and their friends stepped up for the first time (since World War 2, at least) and became a political force in this country. It was about time.
And that's the best revenge of all, isn't it? Wink
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lick on the traitor, eh? Thanks, swifties--I still want to see his records, tho.
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: They just don't get it Reply with quote

50Bravo wrote:
This is a blood debt that I owe the people I left there and now John is reachable. Thank God he came out of his hole and thank God we tatooed that sob this time.

Thank you sir...

Yell to the heavens...Mr. Kerry...sign Form 180

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
Inbutnotthere
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you know that some did get it. My father for one. He is a WWII and Korea submarine veteran. He has been a hard line democrat all his life. Significantly against war (arn't most of us).

When the Swift Vet commercials first came out, we had discussions on his feelings, He felt it was more politics than anything.

A few months prior to the election I had another opportunity to talk to him and came up with this analagy. Tokio Rose was an american citizen. If she had run for office would he have voted for her? At first he did not see the connection. I said, wasn't Tokio rose just exercising her right to speek up about the war?

This got him thinking.

He called me after the election to let me know that my point was not lost. He voted for Bush.
DevilDon
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that the Swift Vets motivated alot of people. I used the information here to inflame alot of active duty vets and asked them to tell their families how they felt.
It's funny, the left wants to say it was religious zealots who came out and decided the election, I like to think it was the right group of veterans who couldn't stand it any longer and got the word out to the right people, veterans, who made the difference. I have to tell the Swiftees, you guys made the difference. Congratulations and job well done. Now let's get Kerry to release that 180!
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He called me after the election to let me know that my point was not lost. He voted for Bush.[/quote]

I´m glad your father came around Inbutnotthere. I wish I could
say the same for some others in my area. At least two WWII vets never did see the light. Both voted
for Kerry. They bought into the mainstream press and the
party line. Refused to take the blinders off.

Montana
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talked to WW-11 vets, most were for Kerry,

I would explain that to us, he (Kerry) is our Axis Sally our Tokoyo Rose our Lord Ha-Ha.

My American Legion, Post 283 is a polling place.

I stood in the parking lot, freeezing my arse off, my POW flag on a pole and tied to my truck,
Bush 04 signs weighted down due to the wind,

holding a sign I made to show people as they drove in....KERRY LIED WHILE GOOD MEN DIED

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless the WWII vets. They grew up on FDR and refuse to believe their Democratic Party left them in '72 and could run a traitor on a national ticket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: