SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to talk to a Liberal, when you must ....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: How to talk to a Liberal, when you must .... Reply with quote

I'm posting this on behalf of my wife, who works as a "parapro" (Teacher's aide) at a school.

On November 3rd, a young (30-ish, according to her) person said to her "I'm sorry Bush got re-elected and now your son will go back to Iraq and be killed" ... or something very close to that. My son is in the Marines, and doesn't expect to have to return to Iraq, but "que sera', sera'", as the saying goes. He'll go if they need him.

My wife avoids politics, doesn't discuss them much, and was deeply affected by the remark.

If it had been me, this young man would have been dragged by the b*lls outside, and we'd have had a brief but instructive chat.
Which, of course, is one of the reasons I'm not qualified to work in a school.

I've given her some suggestions for a civil reply, although the remark does not deserve one.
For example, I told her to point out that at least the body armour wouldn't be coming from the lowest bidder, and maybe mention we expect our son to be honorably discharged, at least.

Anybody got input on how to respond to this kind of remark?
My blood boils every time I think about it.
This sort of thing needs to come to an abrupt halt, even if not done in front of students.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest, "at least my son is willing to sacrifice for the freedom of creeps like you. Your problem is you are to cowardly to act to protect those exact freedoms which give you the ability to make such stupid remarks".
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She could tell him this: "Since you are so concerned for my son, I will gladly buy you a ticket to go with him and act as his human shield! I'll buy you some 'Depends' to take with you, so you won't be embarrassed when you piss yourself like a girl!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

I remember the story of all the 'human shields' going over there in protest to the war to protect the schools & hospitals, only to realize the Iraqi troops were falling in behind them!!

These freaks.... my Dad said the same thing to me a while back.... I wasn't so nice, and hung up on him... I probably won't be seeing or talking to him for a long time... his loss, not mine! Mad
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
Padma
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try as I might, I can't think of a single reply to this kind of trash that could be labeled as 'civil'. Evil or Very Mad
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only people who have served or had loved ones in the armed forces would understand the dedication, pride and loyalty of your son.

Only people who have not served in the armed forces could make such a rude, obnoxious and hateful statement.

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
F. Rottles
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On November 3rd, a young (30-ish, according to her) person said to her "I'm sorry Bush got re-elected and now your son will go back to Iraq and be killed" ... or something very close to that.

1. This person is dissappointed that Bush got re-elected. Fair enough. About half the country may feel that way. Reply with charity. Also, gently point out that the Iraqis also desire to experience the ups and downs of open elections. We're a mature democracy and set an example.

2. Kerry said his policy was to fight, not to cut and run. So if we take Kerry at his word, then, Bush's re-election doesn't change the need for our military presence in Iraq.

3. We've suffered casualties but there's nothing automatic about your son going to Iraq and being killed there. Marines are not lemmings. They go to fight and to protect. That may be truly difficult for this person to comprehend if he has no direct or indirect experience with military service. And, admittedly, it ain't easy for some people to embrace the role of our military no matter who is President.

4. Marines are not victims. They are professionals. Volunteers. I detect that you and your wife are proud of your son's service. Proud of him. Quietly let this be known. Victimology is a resilient malady so don't feel you need to go to the mat on this point. Some folks want to empathize only if you accept being a victim on their terms.

5. This person may sincerely fear for our servicemembers in Iraq; but this fear is expressed in such a way as to turn your son and you into victims. If the fear is heartfelt, and not merely convenient, this person might respond well to encouragement to support our military as well as those who keep the homefires burning. Point him to the appropriate associatons. Well-intentioned people sometimes say the craziest things and need a bit of direction.

6. If, on the other hand, this person presumes that the common ground between you is his political disapproval of Bush and is not motivated by genuine support of the servicemembers and their families, have at it. The country has just rejected that kind of nonsense.

I guess such encounters can be treated as teachable moments. Better that than flashpoints of anger. While this person's dissappointment is no excuse to insult your wife, and your son, it may have been unintended. If you detect otherwise, then, learn the guy some manners. We all can be teachers. ;-)

Just my two cents.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "Belmont Club" , which seems to be emerging as a respected source for Fallujah news and analysis according to Hugh Hewitt, encouraging news.

Quote:
Update

The Daily Telegraph has an atmospheric article which describes the terrible effect of networked forces on the enemy inside Fallujah.

"I got myself a real juicy target," shouted Sgt James Anyett, peering through the thermal sight of a Long Range Acquisition System (LRAS) mounted on one of Phantom's Humvees. "Prepare to copy that 89089226. Direction 202 degrees. Range 950 metres. I got five motherf****** in a building with weapons." A dozen loud booms rattle the sky and smoke rose as mortars rained down on the co-ordinates the sergeant had given. "Yeah," he yelled. "Battle Damage Assessment - nothing. Building's gone. I got my kills, I'm coming down. I just love my job."

... The insurgents, not understanding the capabilities of the LRAS, crept along rooftops and poked their heads out of windows. Even when they were more than a mile away, the soldiers of Phantom Troop had their eyes on them. Lt Jack Farley, a US Marines officer, sauntered over to compare notes with the Phantoms. "You guys get to do all the fun stuff," he said. "It's like a video game. We've taken small arms fire here all day. It just sounds like popcorn going off."
This engagement is all the more chilling because it probably happened at night. Five enemy soldiers died simply because they could not comprehend how destruction could flow from an observer a mile away networked to mortars that could fire for effect without ranging. All over Fallujah virtual teams of snipers and fire-control observers are jockeying for lines of sight to deal death to the enemy. For many jihadis that one peek over a sill could be their last.

"Everybody's curious," grinned Sgt Anyett as he waited for a sniper with a Russian-made Dragonov to show his face one last, fatal time. A bullet zinged by. ...

His officers said that the plan to invade Fallujah involved months of detailed planning and elaborate "feints" designed to draw the insurgents out into the open and fool them into thinking the offensive would come from another side of the city. "They're probably thinking that we'll come in from the east," said Capt Natalie Friel, an intelligence officer with task force, before the battle. But the actual plan involves penetrating the city from the north and sweeping south. "I don't think they know what's coming. They have no idea of the magnitude," she said. "But their defences are pretty circular. They're prepared for any kind of direction. They've got strong points on all four corners of the city." The aim was to push the insurgents south, killing as many as possible, before swinging west. They would then be driven into the Euphrates.
From UAVs wheeling overhead to Marines going through alleys linked by their intra-squad radios (a kind of headset and boom-mike operated comm device), the US force is generating lethal, real-time information which is almost immediately transformed into strike action. Against this, the jihadis have no chance. This doesn't mean (as I pointed out above) that there will be no American losses. The battlefield is too lethal to hope for that. But it does mean that terrorism has unleashed a terrible engine upon itself. Capabilities which didn't exist on September 11 have now been deployed in combat. It isn't that American forces have become inconceivably lethal that is scary; it is that the process has just started.

Belmont Club con't

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Respond Reply with quote

"If my son is killed, he will die with honor, something you wouldn't understand." Then walk away.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, I hear varied versions of this several times a week and I'm so sick of it. It's not even a familly member of mine that people pipe in about, but a very close friend. So, I can only imagine it's much rougher for a parent. Anyway, I just say, "it's a volunteer army now and he wants to finish his job over there. He's okay with it and so am I". (Sometimes when they catch me off guard it feels like they just hit me in the gut.) Tell your wife not to let the mental midgets get her down.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask him if he's ever eaten an arm....knuckles first. Evil or Very Mad

Or maybe say "My son, when he dies, will die with honor and be remembered as a courageous warrior. You, on the other hand, will be remembered as someone dishonorable enough to mention the possibility to his mother".
MLB
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like:

"If my son must die, I couldn't think of a greater honor than that he die in the service of his country. Would it be better that he die during a college prank? Or maybe a drive by shooting by gang members would suit you? How about a drug overdose? Take YOUR pick!"
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLB wrote:
How about something like:

"If my son must die, I couldn't think of a greater honor than that he die in the service of his country. Would it be better that he die during a college prank? Or maybe a drive by shooting by gang members would suit you? How about a drug overdose? Take YOUR pick!"

as I've posted before, having lost one son many years ago and not military related, if another son loses his life, I would rather it be for his country and honorable than a car accident, road rage, drive by shooting etc ... or running and / or hiding from the enemy!
A short -lived life, lost fighting for the freedom he / she and countrymen enjoy, is much more meaningful than a life, long lived, enjoying the freedom he/she did not have the courage to defend.

I think I'd say ' I thank God daily that my son is not one of you girlie-men who won't fight to defend your country!'

has anyone heard the line about why Bush won't send his daughters to fight? is that a Michael Moore line? sounds to me like it is, I've heard it before, just can't remember the origin. I have a friend who brings this up, she is intelligent and Christian. I don't understand how people can even question this! we have a volunteer service and the twins haven't enlisted..... because they are Bush's girls, they should be drafted??
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
FMBass
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve sat here for no less than 30 minutes, attempting to contain a quite anger, typing and retyping a proposed response to the statement:
"I'm sorry Bush got re-elected and now your son will go back to Iraq and be killed”

It’s a shame that your son is also fighting for that ingrate’s right to blurt out such insensitive nonsense.

Be assured that real Americans are not so pessimistic with respect to the decisions made by our President or the results of the military missions undertaken that preserve this country’s freedoms.

You can’t rationally discuss anything with a liberal. It’s best to walk away and just forget about it.

America is proud of your son, trust that he shall return safe.
teach-u
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help but respond personally to your situation. I had a similar insident at the beginning of the war in Iraq. My husband was sitting on the edge of invasion and I was at a staff development event with other Peer Coaches and Literacy Administrators (fancy name for teachers not in the classroom anymore). I was on edge and relayed with some colleagues that I was unable to concentrated and asked for forgiveness if I seemed aloof. To which a Literacy administrator replied that she was sorry that he was a murderer. I couldn't think what she must have meant and tried to assume she meant Saddam. When I said this she said no, she meant Bush. I replied that I guess that makes my husband one of his hinchmen. I was so shocked and sickened that I could not reply further and asked her to please limit her comments to me as only on professional subjects.

I've had to see this "professional" on many more occasions and have never wanted to engage in a dialogue with her again. If I had it to do over again I think I would explain to her how hurtful and inappropriate her words were and that she should practice what we teach our students "if you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut."

Sometimes, there's just nothing you can say other that to explain that words have consequences and we teachers should be more aware of this.

Good luck, If you stick it to her, I'll feel like it was vindication for my situation as well.

It might be appropriate to bring this to an administrator's attention, depending on the administrator's character.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes want to tell these people to put a huge red X on the roof of their house - so that if we ever need our pilots to protect from the air, they'll know who to protect LAST.

OR tell them you'll be glad to pass their name and address on to the troops, so they'll know they aren't fighting for YOUR FREEDOM.

or you're welcome to renounce your citizenship and move to France, no one will stop you.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: