SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Former Conservative David Brock says SBVT a media failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Former Conservative David Brock says SBVT a media failure Reply with quote

Listing the SBVT episode as one of 10 media failures of Campaign 2004 Brock continues his personal attack journalism aimed at his former base of operations. You'll recall Brock wrote "The Real Anita Hill" and then did a total about face as reflected in his "Blinded by the Right" expose and insult to every conservative known to man...

Quote:
2. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth debacle

The wall-to-wall media coverage of the anti-Kerry group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) and its attacks on Kerry allowed a small group of partisans running an ad in a small handful of states to dominate the presidential campaign for more than a month. By covering SBVT so extensively, the media ensured that the group had far greater reach than its ad buy would suggest. An August poll by The University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center found that 57 percent of the American people were familiar with the SBVT ads, even though they were running in only a few markets. Making matters worse, not only did the media give SBVT extensive coverage, the coverage was largely uncritical: false attacks weren't challenged, and the group's partisanship and lack of credibility were rarely examined.

Brock further claims:

Quote:
SBVT dominated presidential campaign, despite conservative complaints about coverage

Swift Boat Veterans for Truth -- which, as Cox News Service noted in August, MMFA took the lead in debunking -- played a hugely influential role in the 2004 presidential campaign, aided by extensive and unquestioning media coverage.

And he claims to have

Quote:
voluminously documented the group's false and discredited allegations against Senator John Kerry

I've looked at some of his "voluminous documentation" and often he's repeating the tripe of the NYTimes, etc. For example David Brock unconvincingly tries to slur Steve Gardner as a liar.

I sent this letter to Brock, et al re: RatherGate tonight:

=================
re:
http://mediamatters.org/items/200409100010

Mr. Brock, et al.

It seems particularly bizarre and biased that you have no contact information for CBS News, the disseminator of the highly questionable documents. Furthering the bizarre nature of your analysis are your contradictory claims that these documents could be:
(1) perfectly legitimate (this is highly, highly dubious in light of all that has come forth since) OR
(2) that they were planted by the Republicans (in which case you're arguing in FAVOR of the fact that they're forgeries.)

What in the world are you saying? Which theory are you advocating? You don't even seem to know yourselves?! How bizarre, partisan and transparent to pursue both tracks simultaneously. How non-journalistic! Don't you think you'd want to hold back a little bit until you found out more of the facts of the story? Your publishing the wrong times on the blog site shows how eager you were to debunk the story, until you didn't want to debunk it...

You voted for debunking the forgery story, until you voted against it....: ) How foolish you look!

Sleepless in Seattle

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably important to open the link and look at the whole site to get some context for the quoted words. Having said that, I'll note two curiosities that continue to puzzle me:

a. Notice how these people concentrate solely on the earliest Swift Vet ads, i.e., those that ran in August. It's like the later, more effective (in my opinion) ads did not matter. The earliest ads dealt with the issue(s) of Kerry's medals. So is the concentration on these ads a tacit admission that of all the ads these are the easiest to create an aura of doubt around? I think it probably is true, since the medals issue is one that is not easy for ordinary citizens to understand. This obsession of the other side with the earliest ads may be important information for Swift Vets in planning a future strategy.

b. The election is over. Why does the opposition still think it is important to discuss the Swiftboat ads - particularly if they have been "thoroughly debunked" as the opposition asserts? I'd suggest that this question is very important for us to understand. Does it mean, for example, that the opposition has not given up on Kerry and that they see the Swiftboat Vets as a threat to their plans?
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: !!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
The wall-to-wall media coverage of the anti-Kerry group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (SBVT) and its attacks on Kerry allowed a small group of partisans running an ad in a small handful of states to dominate the presidential campaign for more than a month. By covering SBVT so extensively, the media ensured that the group had far greater reach than its ad buy would suggest.

I would love to know what his definition of "wall to wall media coverage" is, as well as "covering the SBVT so extensively!"

If that is "wall to wall" and "extensive," one has to wonder what the coverage of the analogous situation of Bush's ANG service was.

Comparatively speaking, I guess "coverage of Biblical proportions" might cover it!

I think Brock is simply jealous that he is/was so ineffective in whatever efforts he had to support Kerry.

Someone ought to tell him that truth wins out every time. Then maybe he will be relevant in a future election. Too bad for him that being truthful will put him on OUR side!!

Quote:
Making matters worse, not only did the media give SBVT extensive coverage, the coverage was largely uncritical: false attacks weren't challenged, and the group's partisanship and lack of credibility were rarely examined.

Getting past the "extensive" coverage issue, I agree with him that the coverage WAS uncritical. Clearly, his statement that the "attacks" were "false" shows that he was just as uncritical as the rest of the media.

The media did not DARE challenge the assertions of the SBVT, because 1) they were true; 2) Kerry refused to take the most honest step to refute the SVPT: signing the 180, which made him look as guilty as anyone else pleading the Fifth Amendment; 3) the MSM would look like the asses they have proven themselves to be if all of their groundless slander of the SVPT, and O'Neill in particular, were proven so baseless. They would open themselves to litigation, and justly so.

So they ignored the story for as long as possible, then simply took Kerry's version of the story (which includes the story in the Navy records, as he wrote them himself!) and ran with it, even in the face of admitted lies by Kerry. They continued to slander the Swiftees.

We must never give up until we have exposed them for what they are. All of them: Kerry, the DNC, the MSM, and liberal losers like Brock.
Mooncusser
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not from this galaxy. Laughing

I actually won the election before I lost it.

"It is a good day to fight! It is a good day to die! Strong hearts, brave hearts to the front! Weak hearts and cowards to the rear!" (Crazy Horse)
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker stated:

Quote:
The election is over. Why does the opposition still think it is important to discuss the Swiftboat ads - particularly if they have been "thoroughly debunked" as the opposition asserts? I'd suggest that this question is very important for us to understand. Does it mean, for example, that the opposition has not given up on Kerry and that they see the Swiftboat Vets as a threat to their plans?

Exactly. If they could figure out a way to steal the election, through whatever means, they would. All of the violence, voter fraud, biased MSM etc., showed us that. This is why we must be ever diligent.

Regardless of that, Kerry is still in the Senate. He can still do much damage to the country, just under the radar in the Senate. They are trying to pump his "reputation" so that his future soundbites can appear to have "credibility" by attempting to diminish the "swiftboat effect."

Of course, this will never work on those of us who know the truth.

But remember, somehow (which I have no comprehension) Kerry received 48% of the vote. I have no clue how anyone could have voted for Kerry, but that is a sizeable vote, and one that the MSM will play to.

We need to stay vigilant in getting out our message and stay alert.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious that this guy is a former conservative?

He must have been given Kool-Aid straight from the packet without diluting it with water.

Quote:
4. Lack of balance in media coverage

From NBC Meet the Press roundtable and panel discussions that skewed heavily to the right to CNN's pattern of reporting only poll numbers that were favorable to Bush to MSNBC's debate coverage, which consistently featured more conservative pundits and guests than progressives, broadcast and cable news suffered from a massive lack of balance.

I'll agree that there was a massive lack of balance, but to state that the media slants right for conservatives is absurd (especially Communist News Network). The only other place you see this is at the website for dummies that shall remain nameless.

Quote:
7. Media coverage too often focused on trivial issues

Media coverage of relatively trivial matters like Mary Cheney's sexuality and CBS News' use of questionable documents obscured much more significant matters.

This is NOT trivial!! I want to see people go to jail for this.

All of his points are way off base. This guy is a nut job.

p.s. ( Send it in when you sign it.)

"This is the best election night in history." --DNC chairman Terry McAuliffe, 2 November 2004, just before 8pm EST
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbie2004 wrote:

But remember, somehow (which I have no comprehension) Kerry received 48% of the vote. I have no clue how anyone could have voted for Kerry, but that is a sizeable vote, and one that the MSM will play to.

While Kerry and/or the DOM (I have personally opted for Discredited Old Media) might attempt to interpret that vote as support for Kerry, it is axiomatic that the vast majority of that vote was anti-Bush. IMHO, ANYONE attempting to paint it in that light would be commiting credibility suicide.
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David who? Wink

I remember a good investigative journalist at the American Spectator by that name. He left that magazine and has since disappeared. This new guy is just another hack liberal writer who is emminently forgetable.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Former Conservative David Brock says SBVT a media failur Reply with quote

sleeplessinseattle wrote:
Making matters worse, not only did the media give SBVT extensive coverage, the coverage was largely uncritical: false attacks weren't challenged, and the group's partisanship and lack of credibility were rarely examined.

This is what's known as begging the question. When, Mr. Brock, did you stop beating your wife? Rolling Eyes

In reality, false attacks weren't challenged because they weren't false, and the group's credibility was extremely high except to rabid leftists.

-- FDL
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny!

Smells like Dan Rather is rotting in
there somewhere.
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
David who? Wink

I remember a good investigative journalist at the American Spectator by that name. He left that magazine and has since disappeared. This new guy is just another hack liberal writer who is emminently forgetable.

Exactly. Brock's book "Blinded by the Right" is an interesting read if you want to attempt to explore the mind of a converted liberal. But, IMHO, what it basically boils down to for David Brock is that he had increasing angst over being openly homosexual within the conservative movement which is often perceived by homosexuals (wrongly IMHO) as "homophobic." In his book, he dearly loved to point out every failing of every conservative that (I think) ever existed...it gets to be a slam fest in there...but there are interesting insights into the conservative media (if you can believe his antecdotes at all...)

He has become routinely liberal and irrelevant...yawn...

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom

Last edited by sleeplessinseattle on Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And possibly that stat will empower Kerry in the DNC. There's already talk of him running again in 2008. Hard to believe so many of them believe the liberal lie to the point they could possibly run the LOSER again in four years.

Oh well, Bring It On....again. LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: