SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 MINUTES TO SHOW VIOXX "DOCUMENTS"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: 60 MINUTES TO SHOW VIOXX "DOCUMENTS" Reply with quote

According to Drudge right now, 60 Minutes and the NYT plan a big story on Merck a "what they knew and when they knew it" about Vioxx. 60 Minutes has "documents" to support their case. Is Kinko's in Abilene open longer hours now? Laughing
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 60 MINUTES TO SHOW VIOXX "DOCUMENTS" Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
According to Drudge right now, 60 Minutes and the NYT plan a big story on Merck a "what they knew and when they knew it" about Vioxx. 60 Minutes has "documents" to support their case. Is Kinko's in Abilene open longer hours now? Laughing

My first thought too when I read this! Razz

However, the doc prescribed Vioxx for my elderly mother when she fell and hurt her back. Mom was already taking a blood thinner (coumadin) and had been for years. Result: Mom bled internally and even with several transfusions, she did not make it. Vioxx compounds the effects of blood thinner and the doc should've known this. The elderly father of a friend of mine had this same problem with Vioxx in combination with coumadin although he survived. I guess this is a bit O/T but whenever I hear the word 'Vioxx' it does not bring up good memories Mad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: 60 MINUTES TO SHOW VIOXX "DOCUMENTS" Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:

Does anyone still think they are credible? It amazes me how forgiving the libs are and all the misinformed masses.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Merck makes a number of fine drugs and medicines and employs a lot of people. We drove the companies that make vaccines out of business, and who knows how many others have cut back on their R&D for fear of Trial Lawyers?

Merck also provide products for thousands of pharmacies. They take risks to produce drugs to relieve misery and save lives, and they may have made a mistake marketing Vioxx, but should they be hounded out of business? Life involves risks, and sometimes we have to be willing to allow for that fact. I don't support fraud or shoddy practices, but the fact that CBS is investigating automatically places my sympathies with Merck.
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
Keep in mind that Merck makes a number of fine drugs and medicines and employs a lot of people. We drove the companies that make vaccines out of business, and who knows how many others have cut back on their R&D for fear of Trial Lawyers?

Merck also provide products for thousands of pharmacies. They take risks to produce drugs to relieve misery and save lives, and they may have made a mistake marketing Vioxx, but should they be hounded out of business? Life involves risks, and sometimes we have to be willing to allow for that fact. I don't support fraud or shoddy practices, but the fact that CBS is investigating automatically places my sympathies with Merck.

Yep,

I guess we should sue Merck out of existence now, so they can never risk "hurting" anyone again..

I am sure the drug companies all are trying to hurt every single patient deliberately and so are all docs in America. No need for all of them.

Let the lawyers treat patients instead, they know soo much better.

Need some wood?!?!
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is a registered nurse, so you can imagine what she thinks about Trial Lawyers going after Merck and how many of their products she administers to her patients -- and saves their lives.

She also knows what Trial Lawyers have done to her "malpractice" insurance rates along with the rates for the doctors and the hospitals, which translates to higher costs for everybody. Maybe they ought to start using Trial Lawyers instead of nice little white mice in their research. That would even make PETA happy.
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
My daughter is a registered nurse, so you can imagine what she thinks about Trial Lawyers going after Merck and how many of their products she administers to her patients -- and saves their lives.

She also knows what Trial Lawyers have done to her "malpractice" insurance rates along with the rates for the doctors and the hospitals, which translates to higher costs for everybody. Maybe they ought to start using Trial Lawyers instead of nice little white mice in their research. That would even make PETA happy.

Without the trial lawyers, the democratic party would be in serious financial situation right now..

If Bush can take on the trial lawyers this term, he will do more than restoring individual responsibility in this country, he will also CRIPPLE one of the democrats major money suppliers..

Trial lawyers do no good wahtsoever and rank up there with communists and islamofascists among those who do the most damage to America..

Need some wood?!?!
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted to start a "Trial Lawyer Jokes" topic, but no need in overloading the server with the volume it would generate.

...a girl comes home and says, "Mom and Dad, I just eloped with a radical Islamic terrorist who is a law partner at Muhammed, Mohammed, Mehammed, and Jones, LLC"

The mother screams, "WHAT!! YOU MARRIED A TRIAL LAWYER?!!!!"
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Constitution guarantees us the right to seek "redress for wrongs" -- And because of the complexity of our laws and the ridicules language of contracts and agreements lawyers are a necessity...

However, we have become a society that sues first and wants to be paid off for every little thing..... Another EXCESS....

So, I think that several things need to happen...
1) all laws should cover only one subject and should be understandable by anyone with a high school education
2) laws should clearly define what constitutes malpractice -based on standard medical practices NOT "channeling" the unborn.....
3) true malpractice should result in loss of license, not a pay-off....

Isn't having Lawyers write the law in such a way that only another lawyer can understand it a conflict of interest???? We need to NOT elect lawyers as the law makers....

Rolling Eyes
PrinceLazar
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIaunt wrote:
2) laws should clearly define what constitutes malpractice -based on standard medical practices NOT "channeling" the unborn.....
3) true malpractice should result in loss of license, not a pay-off....

Isn't having Lawyers write the law in such a way that only another lawyer can understand it a conflict of interest???? We need to NOT elect lawyers as the law makers....

Rolling Eyes

The problem here is that trial lawyers is the single most important special-interst group for the liberals and they need the bribes they get from these people.

Interestingly enough, the trial lawyers rarely advocate to take away the license of a physician that committs "malpractice". They even tell the jury that "this will not take away the physicians license", knowing that most jury members would be more hesitant to put blame if that happened.

If malpractice led to stripping of license more often, there would be much fewer frivolous lawsuits and the real suits would come forth..

Need some wood?!?!
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the trial lawyer bit totally, but i also feel that if merck suspected there was the potential then they should have disclosed it. having erosive esophagitis, i feel from having to take this drug for over a year, many years ago, it contributed to my condition, but that was my choice - knowing it shouldn't hurt the stomach, but it was possible. let people make the choice over what risks they wish to take - don't hide a little data from us. and then the trial lawyers wouldn't have as much of a leg to stand on either. because i do think trial lawyers have absolutely become a disgrace in our great country.
wednesdaychild
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that my first thought when reading this on drudge was "who forged these documents for them?" CBS has ruined their credibility.
to the question about Vioxx. This has more to do with the doctor being alert to what he prescribes. I had been taking two meds that caused an increase in my potassium. I was have chest pains. No one seemed to know why. I saw a cardiologist and he caught it right away. doctors should be mroe careful. It does require that they know the side effects of drugs and not just hand out scripts. An alert durggist could have caught this too. On the other hand, I totally agree with the posters who say that if we sue the makers of vioxxfor a side effect, then no one will want to make durgs. Drugs can save lives and help people. There must be accountability, but if your doc is afraid to prescribe for u, what will people do?
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Vioxx was approved under the Clinton admin. Think it will be mentioned ?
JK
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: 60 MINUTES TO SHOW VIOXX "DOCUMENTS" Reply with quote

While Merck is a major pharmaceutical supplier they most be held accountable if they had sufficient information earlier to withhold the drug from the market. Most of the public realizes that use of drugs carries a risk and anyone receiving a drug should be receiving the product information. But if Merck had the information at an earlier time that should have required them to withdraw VIOXX then the hand of justice should prevail.

We also need to remember that human subjects were involved in the research to bring VIOXX to the market and someone should be representing them. Often these drug company sponsored studies are conducted with the indigent at universities and even the VA where the profit motive for the researchers can often cloud the safety of subjects. While regulations says that the subjects are protected, reality is the real test.

JK
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many decades will it take before we can hear the words, "CBS" and "documents" in the same phrase without snickering or cracking a grin? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: