SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psychologists blast Rush Limbaugh for......
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need to blame the woman on the left you here in south florida talk radio with mental duress - she keeps on talking about how we stole the election not just last year but this year as well!
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know.......I really find it hard to believe that there could be people this stupid here in America. But then Jay Lenno proves it every day. I wonder if this will make one of his monologs Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Psychologists and Training Reply with quote

I am not even going to try and figure out if this is a valid diagnosis. I think people doing the work there may be better able to make such an assessment though I will admit it seems a little far fetched to me---- not to say that they may not experince emotions as a result of the election loss but giving it an entire diagnostic category is probably not warraned and I am not sure it would be accepted by the American Psychological Association or the American Psychiatric Association.

That said---- I have to reply to the issue of training.

It takes 4 years of college, followed by 3-4 years of graduate coursework which includes clinical practica, 1600 hrs of clinical internship under the supervision of a licensed clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist, a dissertation, and when you have completed the degree requirements another 1600 hours of clinical training is required to get licensed as a clinical psychologist. It is hard to say that anyone with the money can get the degree. Most clinical PhD programs are exceptionally competitive and it can be very hard to get into one.

Many psychiatrists in fact practice with psychologists and often require that anyone seeing them for medication also need to see a clinician for therapy. So I doubt they would ever be laughing at the psychologists.

Also, lets remember that Rush had an addiction problem. One that likely required that he seek the assistance of a mental health professional. Further, the diagnosis of addiction is listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association. It is sad that he has already forgotten any valuable lessons learned.

Whether you agree with the diagnosis or not the field of psychology has helped many people over the years including veterans. So lets not lambast an entire profession based on what a select few in Florida might be doing.

Yes many psychologists are liberal--- but not all of them. Also, the goal of most psychologists is to support their clients and issues like liberalism or conservatavism are not relevant to clinical work.
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Heavens --- a new syndrome..... It must be real, just look at these poor victims....

I think it was Crocodile Dundee that when told about the need for Psychologists & Psychiatrist replied "what, don't you have any mates?"

The red-staters didn't need shrinks, etc in the 90's when Bill C. won, we just talked it over with our friends and got on with living.... practical & pragmatic... If we hadn't gotten on with things, our friends would have told us to stop whining....

These folks pay shrinks to listen to them whine....
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIaunt wrote:
Oh Heavens --- a new syndrome..... It must be real, just look at these poor victims....

These folks pay shrinks to listen to them whine....

Yep, because everyone is tired of listening to them for free, including their other leftist buddies.

Sounds to me like these people have been living outside reality for so very long that when they get a good dose of things not going their way, they don't know how to deal with it.

Which also tells us what a mess our education system is in. Weren't we supposed to learn everything we needed in Kindergarten? Laughing
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, I should say that I feel the psychologists and psychiatrists in general have my respect. They have helped alot of people with a lot of problems --

My problem is with the whiners....

Think, after dealing with severe trauma victims, addicts, and others who face long term treatment, these Dr. must be delighted to 'treat' these folks - and they can even 'cure' them --- by telling them (probably in some very interesting way) to suck it up and stop whining......

Smile
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIaunt wrote:
Perhaps, I should say that I feel the psychologists and psychiatrists in general have my respect. They have helped alot of people with a lot of problems --

My problem is with the whiners....

Think, after dealing with severe trauma victims, addicts, and others who face long term treatment, these Dr. must be delighted to 'treat' these folks - and they can even 'cure' them --- by telling them (probably in some very interesting way) to suck it up and stop whining......

Smile

I agree, and sometimes I shoot my mouth off before thinking about it.

To any and all in the psychiatric profession whom have nothing but the best interests of their patients at heart, and whom I may have offended with my comments, I apologise. My comments were not directed at you.

On the other hand, my comments were directed to those in the psychiatric professions who would take advantage of a situation in whole or in part for simple monetary gain.

As far as treatment, in my experience, the counselors would never tell a client to stop whining. They just let them whine and whine, sometimes for years, until the client gets tired of listening to themselves regergitate the same information.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What differentiates
psychologist
psychiatrist
counsellor

Question

It seems to me that "counsellor" is what these people need.
Wouldn't the other two, if they are, in fact, "professionals", ignore the Kerry problem and fix the basics?
The "election outcome" problem, it seems to me, is a result of something much deeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: