SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adopt A Soldier/Family Members Christmas Ideas Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Adopt A Soldier/Family Members Christmas Ideas Discussion Reply with quote

If you guys don't mind, I wouldn't mind having a sharing of ideas topic for those of us who are sending packages to those serving in Iraq and other places. I am fairly new to this, so if any Veteran or anyone currently serving has great ideas, please let me know.

1. One thing I have received requests for is magazines. Now I go and get my mags from the dentist and doctor's office, but they have expressed desires for other types that usually aren't in those offices. Like Blender or Men's Health, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, stuff like that. For the price of basically 2 magazines on the newstand, I can send a yearly subscription. They will deliver to APO addresses. Most will send you a card so you can send to your solider. It saves on postage too.

2. Music of any kind - I started thinking about how expensive it was to buy CD's and I have a great music collection at home. For the price of 1-1/2 CD's, I can buy 30 to burn my own CD's off of. Haven't been around much as I am burning a total of 200 CD's for my guys and gal. If they don't like some of it, they can put it in a library to share or barter if they do that.

3. Home-baked cookies - I sent over 12 dozen at one time. I was told that when they got back from Fallujah, the packages were waiting for them and they didn't even last a half of day.

4. Protein powder has been requested. This is an expensive item and might be a nice Christmas present.

Does anyone else out there have any ideas? I thought many minds here working at once might bring out ideas that we might have never thought of. I'm trying to make my dollars stretch as far as possible so I can do more. I'm sure we are probably all in that same situation.

Edited to add that I understand we are suppose to try to have our packages mailed out by November 30th and that is why I am bringing this up this early.
gleanerl
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sending my son socks, flannel boxers (husker ones, of course!), cookies car mags and food goodies. Also, I have made him a stocking each year he has been gone at Christmas. This year's will be dog ugly so he won't feel the need to keep track of it. Laughing Arrow I won't send him a "real" present as he doesn't need to lugging extra stuff around. His wife sent him a little teddy bear that recorded her voice. She also sent a card that does the same.
On another forum, someone mentioned that there are cloth organizers that attach to cots. I haven't found one yet. His mother-in-law sent his company a cheap Christmas tree and turkey jerky.
I won't send his package until the end of the week, so I'm all ears for ideas!
armyairbournebrat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at operation gratitude. They have a wish list for soldiers. They are sending massive amounts of packages for all of the military and ask for letters too.

http://opgratitude.com/website/html/index.php
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gleanerl wrote:

On another forum, someone mentioned that there are cloth organizers that attach to cots. I haven't found one yet.

If you can find me a picture of this I can make them. Generally a denim or duck type fabric would be best. I may try to get my fabric store to donate the cloth. I can't make too many before the holiday but I am sure they would appreciate getting them anytime.
twicearound
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on my local radio station that the post office said it was overwhelmed and would only deliver things sent by family to a family member that those sent to any soilder would not be delivered, because they were backlogged. Did anyone else hear of this? They also said some groups who send large quanities were dismayed by this.

Correction, hubby said it was the DOD who said no packages unless requested.
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a list from a friend whose niece's husband is in Iraq.
-------------------------------------------------------------
i send his stuff "priority mail". it gets to new york in about two day.

As far as regular letters, I just used two stamps for postage and
it takes about 7 days.

AA batteries
AT&T international phone cards
powder gatorade & kool-aid (nothing blue)
magazines
beef jerky
Kool cigarettes (hard pack)
jolly ranchers
cereal bars
vienna sausages & spam
anything travel size (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toilet paper)
pictures

More than anything, send him letters. It is the best thing that anyone can
do for him. Hearing your name at mail call and having to do push ups makes
his day! It might take awhile for him to respond, but eventually he will.
gleanerl
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USAFE5 wrote:
gleanerl wrote:

On another forum, someone mentioned that there are cloth organizers that attach to cots. I haven't found one yet.

If you can find me a picture of this I can make them. Generally a denim or duck type fabric would be best. I may try to get my fabric store to donate the cloth. I can't make too many before the holiday but I am sure they would appreciate getting them anytime.

i found this. it isn't quite right, but i would guess that they are something on this order...
i don't have a surger, but i would guess one could be made with a regular sewing machine. just 3 or 4 layers, right?

http://www.uscav.com/search.aspx?Search=organizer&tabID=
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is good but I'd need the dimensions height (from top of cot frame to floor) and length from head to middle support. Then I could design one to hold personal items and stuff. I did custom notebooks for my kids in school with tons of pockets and stuff much neater than the commercial ones.
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two days ago I was told that yesterday was the deadline for Christmas deliveries via USPS. But I sure wouldn't let them stop this effort.

With many questions on this site about why this, why that...here's one more. Why wasn't this deadline published all over America.

But here's another idea for Christmas that I've been pondering.

I've been thinking about the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program. Follow along with me- We did a toy drive here at our local high school last spring to honor "our" fallen soldier, Rodney Murray, who collected toys for Iraqi children. We called it Operation Toy Soldier. I live within driving distance from a major military installation and with my son preparing to enter the Corps I was thinking about ways I could support some of these folks (which would help to divert my mind). Having had some close encounters with some military chaplains I've thought about something as simple as worshipping with soldiers, visiting the base hospital, etc.

I'm getting to my point. There have been discussions about how the opposition in this country managed to branch out. Here's an opportunity for our side to do the same in a positive manner. How about SVPFT sponsoring it's own Operation Toy Soldier, with advertisements of general delivery addresses to base churches all across America, and we help provide Christmas for those kids whose folks are in the armed services.

Think of what a morale boost that would be to our men and women overseas to know that a bunch of old soldiers guard Christmas for their children.

Can you picture base chapels filled to the gils with gifts?
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this list from our local Wal Mart about a week and a 1/2 ago. Our American Legion was collecting items to send to the 3rd Marine Div., the note says:

The following items are badly needed by the soldiers:
Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant
Disposable razors
Shaving Cream
Toothpaste
Toothbrushes
Feminine Care items
Small toiletries
Individually wrapped hard candy (no chocolate please...it melts over there!)
Packages of individually wrapped peanut butter, peanut butter/cheese crackers
Individually wrapped packages of Cookies
Chewing Gum
DVD's
Magazines

We were doing our grocery shopping that day so we picked up about $20 worth of stuff on the list and dropped it off in the bin.

The one thing when sending packages to our service members is, they have to be sent to a specific individual, they no longer accept: "To any Soldier" labels and don't forget the Custom's Forms.

I am getting ready to send my son his Christmas box, this is now 5 Christmas's since he has been in the Navy, 3 of which he has been on deployment. I thought his first Christmas away from home was the hardest but I think this years is even worse.

Honor, Courage and Committment
something John F. Kerry doesn't have
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know medicated foot powder like Gold Bond is also a big request and I have been told by my guys that chocolate is OK to send as it is getting colder there now. If you do send chocolate however, send it in baggies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: