SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lieberman for Defense Secretary?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Lieberman for Defense Secretary? Reply with quote

http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/

According to this article in the Hartford Courant, a rumor is circulating that CT Senator (and former VP candidate) Joseph Lieberman may be under consideration for either Secretary of Defense or Secretary of Homeland Security if a vacancy occurs.

While Lieberman did support the war in Iraq, would he really have the same tenacity as Rumsfeld as Defense Secretary? What about his attempts to disenfranchise military voters in Florida in 2000? And would he give up a cushy Senate seat (with his replacement appointed by Republican Governor Jodi Rell) for a few years with the Bush Administration?

Maybe this is just blue-state wishful thinking by the lefty Courant! But if President Bush wants to reach across the aisle to Democrats, what about Zell Miller for Secretary of Defense? He'd give us more than spitballs, he'd be spitting fire!
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't read the article (registration req'd), however, I think both of those critical cabinet positions need strong managers with proven executive experience...what do we know about Lieberman before he became senator? Also, I wonder if the Republicans would regret having Lieberman replaced in the Senate with a more typically obstructionist Democrat. He is certainly one of my favorite Democratic Senators, not sure I want to lose him that way!
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieberman for Defense Secretary? Reply with quote

Steve Z wrote:
According to this article in the Hartford Courant, a rumor is circulating that CT Senator (and former VP candidate) Joseph Lieberman may be under consideration for either Secretary of Defense or Secretary of Homeland Security if a vacancy occurs.

If he is on the 'list', it can't and shouldn't anywhere near the top. I just don't see a SecDef temperament in Lieberman. He should be left in place to try to do something positive for his burned-out party. It's going to be too easy to defeat them repeatedly. Come to think of it, what's wrong with that? Very Happy Very Happy

Schadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lieberman for Defense Secretary? Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
Steve Z wrote:

If he is on the 'list', it can't and shouldn't anywhere near the top. I just don't see a SecDef temperament in Lieberman. He should be left in place to try to do something positive for his burned-out party. It's going to be too easy to defeat them repeatedly. Come to think of it, what's wrong with that? Very Happy Very Happy

Schadow

I love Zell Miller and I have always liked Lieberman. Too bad he linked himself up with that looser Gore in 2000. I can't picture him as Defense Secretary, but I could see him at Homeland Security.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zell Miller is retiring. Would he accept SecDef, if offered? I dunno, but we could get worse. Somehow I don't think that dubya is going to drop the ball and install weak SecDef. There are a lot of possibilities, but no room for most current Democrats in that job, if it's to be done right.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Rumsfield is not going anywhere, especially since Colin Powell
resigned. Tom Ridge does want to resign due to his desire to earn
more money in the private sector so that he can put his chidren
through college.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Dems talk about "reaching across the aisle" what they mean is let us liberals have our way. Selecting Zell for a Cabinet or other significant post wouldn't assauge any Democrats. Zell isn't the right kind of Democrat like Condi Rice isn't the right kind of black. Twisted Evil
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:
IMO, Rumsfield is not going anywhere, especially since Colin Powell
resigned. Tom Ridge does want to resign due to his desire to earn
more money in the private sector so that he can put his chidren
through college.

And I'm not in disagreement, but I don't know that Rumsfeld will last the entire second term. I think that any talk of his replacement is couched in terms of later rather than sooner. He has Iraq to deal with, as well as the rest of the Middle East, and all of it's terrorists.

Rummy is my guy, a no nonsense, tough SOB. Just exactly the right measure for that job. Rummy is not exactly a youngster, and that job takes it's toll in times like these. Still, he looks pretty good for all of the miles he has on him. It's a good idea to say a prayer for Rummy, and the rest of gang, a little extra help couldn't hurt. Smile
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rummy may leave in a year or so, depends on the situation in the world... Also, he hasn't finished revamping the military... which is part of his agenda....He's not a quitter, and he's not afraid of mixing things up....

God Bless him and keep him healthy -- we need a firm, experienced hand on the military....
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be hard to fill Mr. Rumsfields shoes should he choose to retire. I can't see any Democrat in that position.

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Franks or Storming Norman..
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason we should continue reading the Old Establishment Media. They are so useful as a contrary indicator. Whatever they urge, do precisely the opposite.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
Tommy Franks or Storming Norman..

that makes two of us.
Hellfire
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that 3 of us.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: My choice for SoD Reply with quote

If he could be talked out of retirement former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn would bring a wealth of defense experience to the Secretary of Defense office. As a Democrat with great respect on both sides of the aisle in Congress he could be a steady voice for the military in time of war.

Quote from Senator Nunn:

"Reducing the risk posed by weapons of mass destruction is not the agenda of one political party. It is a deeply held desire by leaders of vision and courage of every political stripe. We hope that others who are concerned about these issues will work with us on the large area of common ground that exists to find ways to reduce risks associated with these weapons."

Rumsfeld has served honorably, but I question if a man in his 70s needs the stress involved with waging war on a daily basis.

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: