SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kofi Annan On His Way OUT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAW11_Vet
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Kofi Annan On His Way OUT Reply with quote

And long overdue.................

UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan

Fri Nov 19, 6:50 AM ET World - AFP

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - UN employees are expected to issue an unprecedented vote of no confidence in Secretary-General Kofi Annan, union sources say, after he pardoned the body's top oversight official over a series of allegations.

The UN staff union, in what officials said was the first vote of its kind in the more than 50-year history of the United Nations, was set to approve a resolution withdrawing support for the embattled Annan and senior UN management.

Annan has been in the line of fire over a high-profile series of scandals including controversy about a UN aid programme that investigators say allowed deposed Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein to embezzle billions of dollars.

Staffers said the trigger for the no-confidence measure was an announcement this week that Annan had pardoned the UN's top oversight official, who was facing allegations of favouritism and sexual harassment.

The union had requested a formal probe into the behaviour of the official, Dileep Nair, after employees accused him of harassing members of his staff and violating UN rules on the hiring and promotion of workers.

Top UN spokesman Fred Eckhard announced on Tuesday that Nair had been exonerated by Annan "after a thorough review" by the UN's senior official in charge of management, Catherine Bertini.

Annan underlined that he "had every confidence" in Nair, Eckhard said, but UN employees ridiculed the decision and claimed that investigators had not questioned the staff union, which first raised the complaints in April.

"This was a whitewash, pure and simple," Guy Candusso, a senior member of the staff union, told AFP.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, how wonderful that would be. Laughing I hope it happens.
kingfish
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: kofi annen -no confidence vote Reply with quote

Great idea- maybe if enough dirty UN politico's are publicly dissed, they will go home, and a new UN HQ can be erected in Gay Paree!
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only about 5 countries in the UN that are friendly and pro-US, the rest are either enemies, spies or both.
In this day and age they can either be part of the solution, or part of the problem. And they are the problem.
They use every opportunity they can to undermine and bit-slap th USA, and we pay the majority of their expenses.
I think we should send about 1000 US Marines in that snake pit they call the UN building and arrest and deport every one of those rats and forbid them from ever entering the states again.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suspicious, this could be a way to engineer KA out of the UN so as to save the hinnys of nations that benefited from the Iraq's bogus OIL for FOOD program. You know, toss one suvivor from the lifeboat to save the rest. Twisted Evil
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final resolution apparently differed greatly from that draft resolution per Fox News...This final resolution takes out all words relating to "No confidence" and deletes references to Secretary General Kofi Annan's managerial missteps, in fact, the President of the UN Staff Council states that they fully support Annan...I wonder what happened?
Lexy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I have read today, it seems they voted but didnt include anything against Secretary General Kofi Annan... what a disappointment...

hugz
lexy
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UN wimp out and refuse to make a stand? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
Lexy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha scotty!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveL wrote:
The final resolution apparently differed greatly from that draft resolution per Fox News...This final resolution takes out all words relating to "No confidence" and deletes references to Secretary General Kofi Annan's managerial missteps, in fact, the President of the UN Staff Council states that they fully support Annan...I wonder what happened?

As usual, they whimped out. This sad. I do not think Kofi Annan should remain their in power. He has been abusing his position for years. I never like him. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: