SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radio Host Calls Rice an 'Aunt Jemima'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now up on CNS News;

Quote:
Black Clergy Denounces ‘Racial Motivated Attacks’ on Condoleezza Rice
By Melanie Hunter
CNSNews.com Deputy Managing Editor
November 19, 2004

(1st Add: Includes comments from Project 21.)

(CNSNews.com) - A coalition of black clergy Friday denounced recent "racial motivated attacks" by three editorial cartoonists, the Washington Post and the New York Times upon National Security Adviser Dr. Condoleezza Rice, who was recently nominated by President Bush to serve as the next secretary of state.

The Faith Based Leadership Council, a group of over 200 black clergy and members of the faith-based community, said cartoonists Jeff Danzinger, Pat Oliphant, Garry Trudeau, the Post and the Times have used racial stereotypes "to conduct their personal character assassination of" Rice's integrity because she chose to serve the Bush administration.

"These cartoonists believe that the liberal views of the Washington Post and New York Times somehow provides cover for them to engage in racist attacks upon Dr. Rice and other minority in the Bush Administration," said Oliver N.E. Kellman, Jr., executive director of the FBLC, in a statement.

"Mr. Danzinger's, Mr. Oliphant's and Mr. Trudeau's racist depictions of Dr. Rice are of the most twisted Ku Kluz Klan/Skinhead Mindset. I am astonished that the NAACP, Rainbow-Push and other traditional civil rights groups did not denounce this type of trash from the very first day it was reported," Kellman said in a statement.

"Instead, they are silent witnesses to this racially motivated character assassination because of Dr. Rice's politics," he added. "The FBIC believes in the advancement of all Americans, no matter their political affiliation, gender or ethnic background.

"Dr. Rice has been singled out for persecution by a handful of bigoted liberals who have characterized her as a steppin and fetchin sambo," said Kellman, adding that he believes "they feel threatened and disturbed by the fact that Dr. Rice will soon be the most powerful Black woman in the United States as Secretary of State."

The FBLC is calling on the cartoonists and both papers to publicly apologize to Rice. "White liberals in the media have come to feel that they can openly attack any Black conservative that chooses to serve the nation," the group said.

The group is also urging the Justice Department to conduct a full investigation into these incidents and whether the civil rights of Rice and outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell were violated "by the promotion of racial bigotry towards persons of color serving their nation."

Meanwhile, John "Sly" Sylvester, a white radio talk show host in Madison, Wisc., Friday defended comments he made calling Rice an "Aunt Jemima," saying he did it to indicate her subservient role in the Bush administration.

Sylvester said the Bush administration is using Rice for the "illusion of inclusion," and he expressed the opinion that Rice isn't up to the job of secretary of state, wire reports said.

According to the Associated Press, Sylvester said he will "apologize to Aunt Jemima" on Friday's show by giving away pancake mix and syrup. The Madison branch of the NAACP had no immediate comment on Sylvester's remarks.

"To hear the leftists tell it, conservative blacks have become the new 'trash class' of American society," said Michael King, a member of Project 21, a black conservative group. King condemned the cartoonists' depictions of Rice as well as Sylvester's comments about Rice and Powell.

"And with the continued cricket-filled silence from the professional civil rights crowd, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons give tacit permission and acceptance of such language and tactics," King said.

"The recent racist attacks and mimicry of Condoleezza Rice are infuriating and despicable. Even more insufferable is the deafening silence of the elite liberals," Project 21 member Mychal Massie.

"I believe their silence is proof positive of their personal racist attitudes. Obviously condemning racist attacks against a man and woman who are conservative and black is not a worthy undertaking for them," Massie said.

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200411\CUL20041119b.html

My only question is, why did it take them 3 days to come forward?
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be legal under the first amendment,
but shouldn't the news be newsworthy?
Shouldn't the commentary contribute to an intelligent discussion?

Comparing Dr. Rice's credentials to the requirements of the job are valid discussion points. Saying she is "too loyal", "doesn't bring in a fresh view", etc are valid criticisms.

Name calling, racial slurs and disrepect of officials who have served our country are violations of the "public trust" -

These people are so frustrated that people don't agree with them that they are going off the deep end. Like a two year old that is frustrated, they throw a tantrum....
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I believe their silence is proof positive of their personal racist attitudes. Obviously condemning racist attacks against a man and woman who are conservative and black is not a worthy undertaking for them," Massie said.

Well, it took them a few days to put it together, but man, that lifts my spirits to see that someone "gets it."

I liked the President's speech to the Urban League - he asked some very pointed questions about who they were choosing to represent them, politically. And he made some pretty decent inroads into this previously all-Democratic territory.

Great story!

GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"why 3 days to come forward..."

Well, I would guess that since this is a coalition of clergy, they prefer to not get too involved in politics and tangling with the media. Remember, the left also villified the Black Clergy in the run-up to the election.

I'm just glad they spoke up -

And, they point out that the NAACP, and company, usually jump on anything within an hour or two -- this ominous silence is really brought out by the clergy group speaking first
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what else can we do about it except post our outrage to this blog?
Thankfully Fox is reporting it on the news. Every person in the US should hear the racist liberal media remarks about Rice making fun of her, being a black woman in high office.

GIaunt wrote:
I find it appalling that our media has sunk so low... Here is a smart, well educated, experienced, well-spoken, gutsy person who has served as the National Security Advisor for some of the darkest days of our lifetime -- and the media MOCKS her appt to the cabinet....

Crying or Very sad Mad
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my rant fog I missed reading this article. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I feel better now that someone slapped the liberals down. I just hope this gets out in the MSM.

Keeping the link in view for those who didn't see it farther up this thread.
http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200411\CUL20041119b.html

LewWaters wrote:

<snip good read>
Doc Jerry K
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombard the radio station with emails. I did. They respond and they are nervous. They don't want this type of attention. Also, emial the NAACP, National Urban League, etc. Don't let these bigots get away with this type of trash. We're the media that's in charge now; not them. Let them know how you feel.

Sen. Specter learned this lesson the hard way. Conservatives threw a high, inside pitch that brushed him back. Now, he does not crowd the plate.

Medics, we're there when you need us. Cool
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting quote, found deep within another article about the DJ refusing to apologize to Dr. Rice over this;

Quote:
NAACP president Kweisi Mfume said people who make such remarks "are just as bad as those who hide under sheets and burn crosses." Mfume said Rice is "an example of how far hard work, education and determination can take one to new heights."

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz called Sylvester's remarks "racially insensitive," while Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold said he joined all Wisconsin residents in rejecting the statements.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/11/19/201237.shtml

In addtion to asking why it's taken days for any response to the comments, I add, why isn't Mr. Mfume's comments getting broad media reporting? The left's agenda is speaking loud and clear, to me.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: ??????????? Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:

Quote:
Black Clergy Denounces ‘Racial Motivated Attacks’ on Condoleezza Rice
By Melanie Hunter
CNSNews.com Deputy Managing Editor
November 19, 2004

(1st Add: Includes comments from Project 21.)

(CNSNews.com) - A coalition of black clergy Friday denounced recent "racial motivated attacks" by three editorial cartoonists, the Washington Post and the New York Times upon National Security Adviser Dr. Condoleezza Rice, who was recently nominated by President Bush to serve as the next secretary of state.

The Faith Based Leadership Council, a group of over 200 black clergy and members of the faith-based community, said cartoonists Jeff Danzinger, Pat Oliphant, Garry Trudeau, the Post and the Times have used racial stereotypes "to conduct their personal character assassination of" Rice's integrity because she chose to serve the Bush administration.

"These cartoonists believe that the liberal views of the Washington Post and New York Times somehow provides cover for them to engage in racist attacks upon Dr. Rice and other minority in the Bush Administration," said Oliver N.E. Kellman, Jr., executive director of the FBLC, in a statement.

"Mr. Danzinger's, Mr. Oliphant's and Mr. Trudeau's racist depictions of Dr. Rice are of the most twisted Ku Kluz Klan/Skinhead Mindset. I am astonished that the NAACP, Rainbow-Push and other traditional civil rights groups did not denounce this type of trash from the very first day it was reported," Kellman said in a statement.

"Instead, they are silent witnesses to this racially motivated character assassination because of Dr. Rice's politics," he added. "The FBIC believes in the advancement of all Americans, no matter their political affiliation, gender or ethnic background.

"Dr. Rice has been singled out for persecution by a handful of bigoted liberals who have characterized her as a steppin and fetchin sambo," said Kellman, adding that he believes "they feel threatened and disturbed by the fact that Dr. Rice will soon be the most powerful Black woman in the United States as Secretary of State."

The FBLC is calling on the cartoonists and both papers to publicly apologize to Rice. "White liberals in the media have come to feel that they can openly attack any Black conservative that chooses to serve the nation," the group said.

The group is also urging the Justice Department to conduct a full investigation into these incidents and whether the civil rights of Rice and outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell were violated "by the promotion of racial bigotry towards persons of color serving their nation."

Meanwhile, John "Sly" Sylvester, a white radio talk show host in Madison, Wisc., Friday defended comments he made calling Rice an "Aunt Jemima," saying he did it to indicate her subservient role in the Bush administration.

Sylvester said the Bush administration is using Rice for the "illusion of inclusion," and he expressed the opinion that Rice isn't up to the job of secretary of state, wire reports said.

According to the Associated Press, Sylvester said he will "apologize to Aunt Jemima" on Friday's show by giving away pancake mix and syrup. The Madison branch of the NAACP had no immediate comment on Sylvester's remarks.

"To hear the leftists tell it, conservative blacks have become the new 'trash class' of American society," said Michael King, a member of Project 21, a black conservative group. King condemned the cartoonists' depictions of Rice as well as Sylvester's comments about Rice and Powell.

"And with the continued cricket-filled silence from the professional civil rights crowd, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons give tacit permission and acceptance of such language and tactics," King said.

"The recent racist attacks and mimicry of Condoleezza Rice are infuriating and despicable. Even more insufferable is the deafening silence of the elite liberals," Project 21 member Mychal Massie.

Did anyone notice the names of Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton or other Black religious national leaders speaking out? These folks are never silent when discrimination takes place. The silence is deafening.

Independent that leans right of center.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left's agenda for minorities is that people of color only get the crumbs from the table of equality if they play the game from the left side of the board.

Anyone remember how black congressman, J.C Watts, was not allowed to participate in the congressional black caucus until a law [or public outrage] said they had to allow him to participate?

LewWaters wrote:
<snip> The left's agenda is speaking loud and clear, to me.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc I don't know that radio station, don't listen, don't read Ny Times or Washington Post. Being in Ohio I can't threaten to boycot them. I hear this stuff on Fox news. No wonder the left hates that station. They are no longer doing their dirty deeds in the dark alleys of liberal home towns.

Doc Jerry K wrote:
Bombard the radio station with emails. I did. <snip> Let them know how you feel.
Doc Jerry K
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio:

You can email the head honcho at:

tom.walker@mwfbg.net

That's the Mid West Family Broadcast Group and they are the owners of that WI station. The DJ, Sly, says the emails don't phase him. So go to his bosses.

(I used to live in Ohio myself---Boardman and Dayton).

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks for the email addy.

Doc Jerry K wrote:
Ohio:

You can email the head honcho at:

tom.walker@mwfbg.net

That's the Mid West Family Broadcast Group and they are the owners of that WI station. The DJ, Sly, says the emails don't phase him. So go to his bosses.

(I used to live in Ohio myself---Boardman and Dayton).

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condi, just like GW has been getting insulted by the MSM for a long time.
Look at the insults they threw at GW, liar, stupid, corrupt, AWOL, even Criminal Kofi called GW's war an "illegal war" but GW smiles it off, doesn't even give them the satisfaction of a response and goes on with his job.
Condi is basically the same way, she cannot be rattled!
The morons making the sly remarks and cartoons about Condy know very well that in four years "Aunt Jemima" will be the first woman president and the first black president of this blessed nation. Very Happy
They on the other hand will be crawling back under a rock where they were hatched. Crying or Very sad
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tony, you certainly know how to cheer up a person. <g>

tony54 wrote:
Condi, just like GW has been getting insulted by the MSM for a long time.
Look at the insults they threw at GW, liar, stupid, corrupt, AWOL, even Criminal Kofi called GW's war an "illegal war" but GW smiles it off, doesn't even give them the satisfaction of a response and goes on with his job.
Condi is basically the same way, she cannot be rattled!
The morons making the sly remarks and cartoons about Condy know very well that in four years "Aunt Jemima" will be the first woman president and the first black president of this blessed nation. Very Happy
They on the other hand will be crawling back under a rock where they were hatched. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: