SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats & Unions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is actually one of the Union jobs here - porters and janitorial workers belong to the culinary union
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sooooooooooooooooo much to say about this subject.

Stay tuned! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Confused Shocked
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The week before the election the UAW was running a radio spot here in Minnesota. They asked a bogus question about healthcare supposedly to President Bush and then spliced in a bit with him laughing as the answer. It was so fake, yet it played here a lot.
As we are planning on purchasing a new vehicle in the near future, I will not support the UAW and am now planning on buying something not built by the UAW. Sorry Ford, GM and Chrysler, but your union has lost you a customer. Maybe a boycott of American vehicles with this message is in order.
Navymomx2
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Unions are one of my little pet peeves.

First of all let me put in this disclaimer, LOL, at one time Unions were good and were really needed in a lot of places of employment, there are a few places out there still that need unions but for the most part I really think they have outgrown their usefulness and are more of a problem than a solution.

We have been Union and non-Union, I will stick with non-Union. When hubby was Union he had to join, I don't believe in that it should be optional no matter what. The business started struggling financially, they got to the point where they had to file bankruptcy. All along the Union Reps were making promises to all the employees that they would have plenty of notice if the doors were going to shut, not to worry. They promised if the doors did shut they would fight for all compensation each employee was to recieve. Never happened, hubby went to work one night as usual like everyone else and showed up to locked doors, the Union Officials refused to return phone calls and each employee was on their own to seek out compensation during the bankruptcy for vacation pay, regular pay and any other bennies, this was over 20 yrs ago, we had about $3,500 in claims, the average for each employee, we recieved $200 at the end of the bankruptcy. So as you can see I have no love for Unions.

As some of you know, my hubby is a trucker now, I go out on rides with him and I have been to a variety of businesses, I'll tell you from what I have witnessed first hand, most not all Union employees are slow, lazy and over compensated for what they do. At non-union businesses, most of the people I have ran into will get right on loading or unloading a trailer, even if on break some will stop taking their break, take care of the trailer, then go and finish their break, don't even think of that happening at a Union location yet they schedule deliveries during break time, makes sense doesn't it!! LOL!

Ok off my soap for a while I could go on and on but I do have to tell ya, some friends of ours, he works for the State, she is a School employee, of course both are Union, but they refused to vote for Kerry, they were supporting Bush, we gave them a bad time how they were baaaaad Union people, LOL!!

Honor, Courage and Committment
something John F. Kerry doesn't have
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I criticize unions, I am actually criticizing the "laws" surrounding unions. Unions do what the "laws" allow them to get away with, which is as close to communism as you will get in this country.

A rarely known "law" is that there is a very big distinction (and recognition) between a "union" and its "members" and each have certain areas of the "law" that each "must" follow.

Contrary to popular belief, a "union" is not a compilation of its "members. An analogy would be a "law firm" is not a compilation of its "clients."

Navymomx2 wrote:

Quote:
the Union Officials refused to return phone calls and each employee was on their own to seek out compensation during the bankruptcy for vacation pay, regular pay and any other bennies, this was over 20 yrs ago, we had about $3,500 in claims, the average for each employee, we recieved $200 at the end of the bankruptcy. So as you can see I have no love for Unions.

Once the union gets its dues, that union couldn't care less whether your husband or other members got what was due them. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that union made a deal with the "bankrupt" employer that a percentage of the difference ($3,500-$200) went to the union if it "promised not to challenge" the bankruptcy settlement offer.

A "union" is the legal "representative" of the "members" and as such can make good deals as well as bad deals for the members, all under established law.

Navymomx2 wrote:

Quote:
I'll tell you from what I have witnessed first hand, most not all Union employees are slow, lazy and over compensated for what they do. At non-union businesses, most of the people I have ran into will get right on loading or unloading a trailer, even if on break some will stop taking their break, take care of the trailer, then go and finish their break,

I believe that there are at least 2 reasons for this:

People who work in unionized workplaces cannot receive more money, advancement, etc. regardless of whether they "accomplish" more. Union members are bound to the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that the union negotiated for them. The union is the "legal exclusive bargaining agent" for all of the members in a "bargaining unit." In simple terms, this means that even each of the members CANNOT bargain for themselves, they have to stay in lock step with the pay schedule within the CBA.

Second, some members are under the false pretense that they have job protection because they have a union. Nothing could be further from the truth, but those "lazy" members think that their job is invincible. What they don't understand is that that job is only protected if the union decides to protect it. When the unions are out "organizing" they tell a different story, but once they get the "legal right to those annual dues" every excuse in the world, or no excuse at all as posted here, is provided as to why employees get the shaft.

Unions may have had their day, but the more I learn about them, and what it means to be unionized, it appears to me to be a bargain with the devil, forced upon unsuspecting members who are forced to be "represented" by that union and forced to live under a union's negotiated CBA and forced to pay dues.

Idea Idea Idea Idea
mathman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Unions Reply with quote

There are two teachers' unions.
The NEA (National Education Association) is the larger union and represents more communities in the US. The NEA is solidly Democratic and spends an enormous amount of undocumented money in its "Political Education" programs. This really means getting out the Democratic vote.
The AFT (American Federation of Teachers) is the smaller union and is equally solidly Democratic. We have the AFT to thank for Mayor Marion Barry of Washington, DC.
Many of the delegates to the quadrennial Democratic conventions are members of either the NEA or AFT.
Neither union will willingly relinquish a penny of a member's dues which was spent on political action.
I was a member of the AFT for 11 years, and saw my union dues go to support a local union leader who embezzled $5 million for her own use.

By the way, the NEA and AFT must share the blame for the terrible condition of our public schools. The two unions are against any requirement for improvement in teacher testing or teacher performance. They also oppose charter schools with a vengeance.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathman wrote:

Quote:
I was a member of the AFT for 11 years, and saw my union dues go to support a local union leader who embezzled $5 million for her own use.

Was this the local union leader who had the $6,000 shower curtain??

Quote:
Neither union will willingly relinquish a penny of a member's dues which was spent on political action.

Do you know of any cases where they relinquished "member's dues" to specifically help any members? Where they refused to help any members when they should have?

Quote:
By the way, the NEA and AFT must share the blame for the terrible condition of our public schools. The two unions are against any requirement for improvement in teacher testing or teacher performance. They also oppose charter schools with a vengeance.

I agree wholeheartedly that the unions are to blame for the terrible condition of our public schools.

At first the unions' positions on education and "teacher performance" may appear that the unions are trying to "protect" teachers by these positions. Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the lower the expectations of teachers, the less money it takes for the union to "represent" teachers. Less money spent on "representation" means more money there is for $6,000 shower curtains, other union "necessities," and union conventions in exotic places.

Finally, but most importantly, the less educated (or should I say the less knowledgable) people are, the easier they are to be led. That is, the easier it is to "educate" them into voting democrat, which in turn, votes in people into the democrat party, who in turn makes the laws that force unionization, all in the name of "worker's rights" of course.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think boards of education (teachers) and teachers unions, federal and state employees should start practicing what they preach;
Separation of Church and State! No mentioning the word God even if it's written in the Declaration of Independence.
Well if that’s their true belief then they should:
a: Stop celebrating Christmas altogether, no more 2 week holiday.
b: Stop celebrating Easter too, no more 1 week holiday.
c: Columbus day, Good Friday, even Thanksgiving started out as a Christian Holiday.
d: And even New Years day, 2004 AD, What do they think AD stand for? After Descention of whom? Jesus?

The whole planet bases their days and date on a continuation and anniversary of Jesus rising from death and ascending into Heaven.
Are they going to stop using the date and year as we have been doing for 2004 years?
That's part of all churches preachings.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever I worked in right to work states, the non-unions would kill to get the big bucks. But maybe thats only the case with the construction trades. I read somewhere that unions voted about 2/3 dem, unless my memory has failed that leaves the other 1/3 for repub. Dont hate the player-hate the game! Cool
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The union members may have voted 2/3 Democrat,
but their leadership, all unions donated big bucks to the Democrats like 95% and the membership has no say so.
Thats what really sucks!
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once quit a high salaried job because I felt the company sold out to the union. They union agreed to end the strike if certain classifications of workers were placed in the union. That included me. Two months later I found a better paying, better benefits job and quit. No way am I going to PAY some organization to 'give' me a job and decide how much money I can make, no matter my abilities!

Having to pay those union dues for two months was the best thing that ever happened to me. It was on the new job where I (a female) broke through that mythical 'glass ceiling' and in my estimation, became very successful. I believe a person should be paid what they're worth, not according to the 'scale' set up by a union.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Union membership in the private sector has declined sharply over the last several yrs.
The latest stats. I could find (Yahoo search) cited the private sector as being only 8.5 percent union while the public sector jobs (govt.) has increased steadily to 37 percent. These figures are from May of 2003 so some further decline has prolly occured since then in the private sector.
Fine with me if they all go away. Bunch of crooks running them now days.
Here is some more info that can be used to debunk union guys arguments up one side and down another. Send the union guys to this site and they may want to move to a right to work state pretty quick.

[http://www.nilrr.org/growth.htm[/url]url]

An excerpt:
* Since 1977, personal income in Right to Work states has grown almost 25% faster in the Right to Work states than in the non-Right to Work states.
* Hourly earnings of manufacturing employees increased 13.5% more in the Right to Work states from 1977-1996 than in the non-Right to Work states.
* The typical urban family in a Right to Work states has $2,852 more in after-tax purchasing power than the same family would in a non-Right to Work state. 3
[/url]
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony54 wrote:
I think boards of education (teachers) and teachers unions, federal and state employees should start practicing what they preach;
Separation of Church and State! No mentioning the word God even if it's written in the Declaration of Independence.
Well if that’s their true belief then they should:
a: Stop celebrating Christmas altogether, no more 2 week holiday.
b: Stop celebrating Easter too, no more 1 week holiday.
c: Columbus day, Good Friday, even Thanksgiving started out as a Christian Holiday.
d: And even New Years day, 2004 AD, What do they think AD stand for? After Descention of whom? Jesus?

The whole planet bases their days and date on a continuation and anniversary of Jesus rising from death and ascending into Heaven.
Are they going to stop using the date and year as we have been doing for 2004 years?
That's part of all churches preachings.

Actually the Muslim world doesn't count the years as Christians do. And the Jewish and Chinese Calendars are different. THat said, for practial everyday events yes they all follow our calendar, mkes logistics simpler that way.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navymomx2 wrote:
OMG Unions are one of my little pet peeves.

As some of you know, my hubby is a trucker now, I go out on rides with him and I have been to a variety of businesses, I'll tell you from what I have witnessed first hand, most not all Union employees are slow, lazy and over compensated for what they do. At non-union businesses, most of the people I have ran into will get right on loading or unloading a trailer, even if on break some will stop taking their break, take care of the trailer, then go and finish their break, don't even think of that happening at a Union location yet they schedule deliveries during break time, makes sense doesn't it!! LOL!

Unions have their good points and bad, just like any other group, so I'm not here to apologize for them.

BUT, I have over 45 years experience as a driver and Teamster, and the plain truth is that a lot of what you just said is simply not true. Try it yourself for a few years, first hand, instead of tagging along to a few places, and then maybe you'll have some credibility. I'm now retired, and I can absolutely guarantee you that I would have not have the retirement that I have if it weren't for the Teamsters.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinfella, yes, the Teamsters may provide you with a decent retirement. BUT--I'm acquainted with a retired Teamster of many years and we go 'round and 'round about unions. When we discuss finances (he brings it up, not me), he says it's not 'fair' that my retirement benefits are so much higher than his. He claims his work was hard (which I believe), driving those huge semis, putting up with idiots on the road, bad weather, etc., while I 'sat on my butt' in an office for 43 years. What really irks him is that I didn't contribute penny one to my pension--it was all company funded. I was employed by the 4th largest health/life/investment corporation in the U.S. They didn't need a union to tell them how much they should pay their employees.

I didn't mind one bit contributing to my life/health insurance. The split was 80/20, with the employee paying the lower part. Recently The Detroit Free Press did a series on costs involved in the production of an automobile. In the price we pay for a car, a little over $1,000 of that amount is due to production workers' health benefits.

As mentioned earlier on this board, at one time unions were very, very necessary. But I believe they have outlived their usefulness and they are a big contributor of why we're 'losing' jobs in the U.S. My father-in-law who lived to a ripe old age of 92, was involved in the 'Rouge Bridge' fiasco. He used to tell us about working conditions/demands at the River Rouge plant before the union was recognized and I certainly agreed change was needed. But, aren't they going just a bit overboard now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: