SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USMC Sniper stops insurgents from 950 yards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: USMC Sniper stops insurgents from 950 yards Reply with quote

As posted on freerepublic.com:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1290957/posts

FALLUJAH, Iraq (Nov. 27, 2004) -- A U.S. Marine sniper waited patiently inside a one-story house deep within the city. Lying in the prone position for several hours, he scanned the area through his scope before he finally found the three insurgents responsible for two previous mortar attacks.

Sgt. Memo M. Sandoval, a platoon sergeant with Scout Sniper Platoon, Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, needed to positively identify the insurgents before he could take his shot.

Sandoval, 26, saw that one of the men was about to place a mortar in a mortar tube. He knew he had to make a well-aimed shot before the insurgent gunner launched the deadly round. Sandoval cleared his thoughts and slowed his breathing as he gently squeezed the trigger of his M-40A3 sniper rifle. The 7.62 mm round covered the 950 yards in a flash, slamming into the chest of the first insurgent.

"The battalion (executive officer) ordered me to 'make the mortars stop,'" said Sandoval, a native of El Paso, Texas. "I took it personally and went out specifically to stop the insurgents."

With two more insurgents still alive and ready to continue the mortar attack, Sandoval composed himself for the next shot at the assistant gunner. The last two shots took out the driver of the vehicle that carried the weapon.

"When I finally spotted them along a tree line, I realized how far they were but it was surprising how easy it was," said Sandoval.

Those four shots were the longest in Sandoval has taken since he became a scout sniper.

"It was very impressive of Sandoval to shoot from so far away and be on target with all four shots," said 1st Lt. Samuel Rosales, a platoon commander with Scout Sniper Platoon, H&S Co., 3/5.

"When you are being mortared you never know where they will land, to be able to stop them from shooting anymore felt good," said Sandoval.

He joined the Marine Corps straight out of high school in 1997 and has been with 3/5 since April. His leadership ability has reflected on the Marines around him and allowed Sandoval to accomplish his mission.

"(Sandoval) is filling a staff noncommissioned officer's billet, He is a great Marine to work with," said Rosales, 32, a native of San Clemente, Calif.

After recently reenlisting for four more years, Sandoval, who has been in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom since September, hopes to represent the United States in the Olympics in competition shooting.

Sandoval says a fellow Marine, Staff Sgt. Jared M. Casanova, with 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, helped him improve his skills with the rifle, which has become a valuable commodity in Iraq.

"We have always been in competitions against each other, one day he would win and the next day I would win," said Sandoval. "Out here in Iraq it is a two way rifle range, with insurgents shooting at you. You have to make well aimed shots."
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the sniper motto, "Don't bother to run, you'll only die tired!"
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One less jihad indoctrinated insurgent we need to concern ourselves with. Job well done Sgt. Memo M. Sandoval!

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

Last edited by coldwarvet on Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine what a liberal would be thinking if he or she read this
story. They would be feeling sorry for the insurgents and thinking
how horrible it was of that soldier to kill someone in cold blood.

They would not understand the incredible skill and patience that
it took for this Marine to accomplish such an important objective.
They would not think of the American and Iraqi lives that were
saved by preventing the release of just one mortar.

Well done, good and faithful servant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANNA PLAY!!!!
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:

Perhaps the liberals can be comforted with the thought of the jihad combatant being sent to his reward of an endless supply of virgins.

CWV

wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

950 YARDS! WOW! WTG fellow Texan Sandoval. I'd love to see him compete in the 2008 Olympic Games, and his background in the military and Iraq discussed much to the chagrin of lefties everywhere. Cool
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supply of virgins for these thugs is getting low. I heard the goats are all used up and the sheep are nearly gone too. The camels are getting worried.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
950 YARDS! WOW! WTG fellow Texan Sandoval. I'd love to see him compete in the 2008 Olympic Games, and his background in the military and Iraq discussed much to the chagrin of lefties everywhere. Cool
Yes it will be fun to watch how the left leaning announcers tip toe around his military experiences.

GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
The supply of virgins for these thugs is getting low. I heard the goats are all used up and the sheep are nearly gone too. The camels are getting worried.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm so glad I read this thread! Thanks, GM! Laughing Laughing Laughing
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmorton wrote:

Well said sir,

I would like to add that at 2,850 feet we are talking more then half of a mile. For anyone who has ever shot a rifle this is an insane distance. Factors which have to be considered at this distance are velocity/surface air friction and how it relates to the curvature of the earth and gravity. You then half to contemplate any wind which would be moving it from side to side or further its decent or lift. There are probably only a handful of people in the world who can hit that many targets in that time span from that distance. But then again I cannot shoot a rifle so I am overly impressed. Smile
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. How did he know he was an enemy insurgent? Was he dressed in the uniform of an insurgent? Could he have possibly been just a poor Iraqi farmer who was trying out a new invention he came up with to plant his crops? Maybe he was just using the mortor round in reverse to drill a new watter well? The article said he shot the driver. Was the driver armed? Did he know what the other Iraqi were going to do? Could he have been an innocent bi stander? Maybe he was had recieved a visa to come to America and was just practicing his driving skills for when he got to New York and got him a job as a taxi driver? The article says there were four men and just one mortar tube. That means to me that only one man was armed. Why did he shoot the other 3 men? Would they not be innocent by standers only there to watch the fire works? Maybe we should sent a CBS team over there to interview the families of these four men. I am sure Dan Rather can come up with documents that claim that these four men had ligitimate reasons for being where they were and doing what they were doing. After all maybe they were there just destroying explosives that GW Bush and the military missed. If they were would they not be doing the American forces a hugh favor in doing that before CBS, the NYT and John Kerry got word that we did not blow them up. Could it possibly be that we just do not understand them and we should be more sympathetic to their plight? It is just beyond me why this Marine Sharpshooter first did not go up to these 4 men and pat them down first to determine is they were armed? Whe did pat them down since they were not in military uniform should he not have given them the opportunity first to go home and get into uniform in order for him to comply with the Geneva Convention? Does the Gevena Convention not state that we are not allowed to shoot anyone not in uniform?
cpowkj
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they get to where their headed they will run into "Virginian's" not "Virgins" who will make sure they experience all the pleasure they deserve after they smack them around abit.
Young Vietnam Era Vet, was at Yankee Station on USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) during fall of Siagon, April 1975. Also, participated in rescue of the Merchant Ship Migues from Cambodia, May 1975. Currently, drilling reservist supporting CENTCOM.

Last edited by cpowkj on Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
commdog
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to point out that when I went through boot training in '65-'66 every Marine had to qualify with the M-14 (a different version of the current 7.62mm sniper weapon) at 1000 yards. Regardless of MOS, all Marines are riflemen first and deservedly proud of their fine tradition of marksmanship. Well done Sgt. Sandoval.
/CD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add that at 2,850 feet we are talking more then half of a mile. For anyone who has ever shot a rifle this is an insane distance.

2850 FT IS A HELLUVA SHOT, HOW BOUT 2500 YDS?
http://www.cybersniper.com/carlos.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: