SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guess who may not be getting any New York EVs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Guess who may not be getting any New York EVs Reply with quote

Look closely Laughing

http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/electoral_college/2004_certificates/vote_new_york_01.html

Watching Michael Moores every Move
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid you'll have to 'splain it to me. I don't get it. Very Happy

Edit: John L. Kerry? Who's he?

http://www.thewebplace.com/
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet that the evil, sinister genius Karl Rove is behind this. Wink
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, that sure makes those well educated, highly intelligent, superior, elite electors from Albany look dumb. Maybe the elector's secretaries auto-penned each of their signatures to it. Laughing

Last edited by msindependent on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know....all those highly educated liberals in the NE coast Smile
(you beat me to it) Smile
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could they not know that his middle initial was "F". That's how
Kerry knew he was destined to be president - the reincarnated JFK.
NOT!
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And--did you all notice that a PEGGY KERRY was an alternate? See page 4!!
hatecelebs
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me. Directly across from Ground Zero there's a Hilton Hotel called the "Hilton Millenium." "Millenium" should have been spelled with two "nns": "Millennium."
If that mistake had been made in any city but New York, it would have immediately been pointed out by the (Manhattan-based) media as an example of that city's stupidity.

Last edited by hatecelebs on Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at the names on page 4, it looks like my 4th grader wrote them. I'd bet that 's probably the education level of the certificate preparer. No doubt a product of the stellar NYC Public School sysytem.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often offered a free "tour" of Brooklyn NY to persons who have suggested to me that Blue States have the highest IQ's etc.

So far, no takers.

Most likely, it was a temp worker. I see this everyday. It impacts every area of our life. I'm still chasing down packages that were lost, no notices given, etc..etc. You go somewhere, and the temps don't know what to do and there is no managerial oversite to help them.

I've experienced it myself...temping at Ad agency over Dec..to fill in in digital production dept for all the people they fired last 1/4. They just dump things on you, oh..this is the so and so Ad, just make a new mechanical, plot it, and QC it and collect it. The copy changes were done by another temp, who wrote down exactly what she was told over the phone. That was given by another temp, and was meant to have been "interrperated"..ie...used abbreviations that were not meant for copy, etc..

The temp secretary did the mockup and stretched an image of the layout horizontally. (nobody sent the quark source file, just an image of it, cause they were temps and didn't know anybetter). And it all ends up in front of me, another temp, meant to deliver the final specs for it.

I go to the boss, explain it, he just sighs. He says the entire layout is wrong version. Calls, finds out the person who knows where all the bodies are buried on this is out for the holidays, but "his" boss wants this done NOW. They find a source file, that isn't the current version, I re-layout the entire thing to match the image they sent (san's the "stretching" of course). Rebuild the file, make an 11x17 tabloid mechanical printout and send it to be proof read.

Proof reader comes back with the entire thing marked up. Turns out, ALL the copy had never been proof read. Back to the boss. He sighs again. Makes more phone calls. They say it "has" to go out today. He demands they send someone down to finalize the copy and sign off on it. They send....a temp.

As I'm going through making the 50 someodd changes to it, the temp comes back and says, the ad needs to be a different layout. (from landscape to portrait). And, makes further copy changes..using abbreviations and shorthand. I asked to have verbatim copy and the temp said, they'd have to get back to me. Meanwhile, the phone is ringing off the hook of the person demanding answers as to why this is taking so long, and they want it NOW.

I knocked it out, guessed at the copy shorthand, made another print, this time laid out 11x17 portrait. As I'm walking to take it back to proof reader, temp comes down with more copy changes and suggests it should be 8/12 x 11..landscape, not 11/17 portrait. Now, the person upstairs is livid. Is screaming about some simple copy edits taking all day to do. Get it done!

This goes on, ALL day, everyday. I just finished up working the last 14 days "straight" there (over weekends, etc), dealing with such things. My fav was when they brought down all this wonderful food and wine for the closing Christmas office party, then dumped such work as above on us. We sat and worked on this stuff while watching the food through the glass.

Then, I get to come home to find water coming through my ceiling because the plumber never showed up to fix the leak upstairs. Notices that all the packages I had rescheduled because I wasn't going to be home during day (work) attempted deliveries, had been, had not left notices..and now all my packages are at the collection center waiting to be sent back. The super now says, they can't get a plumber to fix it till after holidays because they will have to knock the entire wall out (because the leak has now gotten so bad cause they didn't show up to fix it earlier).

NYS sent me a letter that because I had filed electronically last year they were not sending me tax forms this year and if I wanted to get them, I need to apply for them (to save trees/paper). _I didnt' file electronically last year, never have.

Somebody at the state gov office had typed in my name and apt number wrong, and that misspelling has now filtered it's way all the way to my IRS forms. I've spent the last 4 years trying to get it corrected. The fix? When I stopped answering jury duty summons because it wasn't my name. That got it fixed.

Sometimes, you just have to step back and laugh at it all.

Ok, so here's the kicker: I ordered some ear rings via amazon for my wife. (obviously nothing too fancy). I get notice it's being shipped via another company. That was Nov 28th. They never showed. I was of course having all my packages held to be delivered later because of work (see above). I took a day off from work (at my expense), to both be home for the packages to all arrive and for the plumber to come fix my leak. Nobody showed. NO packages, No plumber. (see above).

I physically "WENT" to the post office, stood in line for over an hour, (30 people in line, 7 windows but only 2 workers)...temps. They only had "one" package..and it wasn't the ear rings. When I tried to contact amazon, they suggested I needed to deal with the sub contract company directly. Turns out, they were in Thailand and had no phone/customer service..only email_temps. I email them, get a tracking number which they claim shows the package delivery was attempted, that I was notified and it was sitting at my local post office! ARRRRGGG. So, I just called them to cancel the order. They said...they would not, that it would take 2 billing cycles to complete an investigation, but that the package was at my local PO. I called USPS. They said, because the track number was international, they could offer no further information. I'd have to deal with the company.

I called the post office again, they said, no packages. I asked to speak to a super, gave her the tracking number and suggested that they had to give me an answer about the packages...lost, stolen, sentback, etc..as all records say they have it and I was about to contact my CC company. She put me on hold for 10 mins. Came back, asked what the tracking number was again. I gave it. She said..it's here..."what would you like I us to do with it"????? Well, I resisted with all my heart to tell her "exactly" what I'd like for them to do with it. I suggested I might like to have it DELIVERED!!! She said, they are sending it with my local carrier today, and would make sure that I got it.....like I was getting special treatment because of this "problem" on my end.

Well, stilll no package yet.

Let me just explain: this is a typical day in Brooklyn. Everyday. Every week. In fact, I'm often truly surprised and it makes my day if any of these sorts of things go right for any reason. I spend most of my time, whether it be work, play or home, correcting mistakes made by others at my expense or just the trains showing up at all. But, I'll tell you the truth, it has not ruined my Christmas!! I'm happy as a clam. I love my wife and whether she gets the ear rings or not, she'll know she is very loved and I know she loves me. That's something you can't order from amazon!.

Beyond that, I'm not angry. Frustrated, yes. But, I don't let this stuff ruin me. It's not worth it. I've got the Christmas music going to drown out the water running. I just have to go emtpy the bucket every now and then. I have love in my heart. I tipped the local delivery person from the deli (who DID show up with our items) 5 bucks. The packages, whether they show up or not, will take care of themselves. If they don't send my state tax forms, I'll print them out from internet. At the rate this is going with the water leak, I'll have a brand new bathroom (walls and all) next year. And I have love in my heart. I was in a local deli yesterday and watched a very old man, obviously very frail and hungry, counting pennies to buy a small pint of juice and a roll. I told him to order whatever he wanted and I'd pay for it. He resisted at first, but I insisted. He would not leave there, till he had ordered a full breakfast...AND gottten some basic stuff, bread, milk, etc. a newspaper, etc.

I told the old man, you already paid for this a long time ago. I'm just catching up on past due bills.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: