SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Arriving in Boston on a Swift Boat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Kerry Arriving in Boston on a Swift Boat Reply with quote

I just heard this on the news this evening.

Kerry and a few (very few) of his Swift Boat buddies will be crossing the Boston harbor on a Swift Boat to get to the Convention wednesday morning. He sure is playing up this Veteran thing when most Veterans actually hate the guy.

Now if we could just get some Coast Guard guys to pull the boat over for a safety inspection I would be happy.

Any sailors in Boston want to put up a blockade to stop that boat? How about some Navy Seals to put a few holes in the bottom of that Swift Boat? Now is your chance sailors to get even. Laughing
Fphamm
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Better watch out, the PC Police might... Reply with quote

You better watch out the PC Police might arrest you for suggesting harm to Kerry....lol..
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, my sources tell me it's a water taxi not a swift boat.

There are only two Swifts around that I'm aware of. One in Coronado Ca. and one in Louisiana; both on museum display, RB Shirley, I'm sure will check in later and let us know for sure.

Tom
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: One more Reply with quote

Now, consider that I am a ground pounder, but I was shown a pix of a swift boat, in the water, on the Fox River, at the American Legion Post in Fox Lake, Il. At least I was told it was a swift boat. I also have a pix I took of a small USN boat on the river outside of Da Nang. It's maybe 20 to 25 feet long. Absolutely one of ours. I would post it, but then again, just a dumb ground pounder, old school and don't know how!
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if I only had my hydrofoil....the druggies used to stop dead in their tracks when we came screaming over the horizon...76mm gun, 50 cal, heavily armed crew and of course 8 Harpoon Cruise Missiles...which are very hard to outrun. We wouldn't use any of this stuff with Mr. Kerry, of course, just put our Coast Guard brothers onboard for a little 9 hour safety inspection. Who knows, might even be some contraband aboard that water taxi swift boat....

Oh man...where did that come from! That's not mine..... Cool

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
ASPB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: One more Reply with quote

Sgt-Keeper wrote:
Now, consider that I am a ground pounder, but I was shown a pix of a swift boat, in the water, on the Fox River, at the American Legion Post in Fox Lake, Il. At least I was told it was a swift boat. I also have a pix I took of a small USN boat on the river outside of Da Nang. It's maybe 20 to 25 feet long. Absolutely one of ours. I would post it, but then again, just a dumb ground pounder, old school and don't know how!

The boat you probably saw on the Perfume River outside of Da Nang was a PBR (River Patrol Boat), Fibreglass hull 31 foot boat with a twin 50 Cal mount forward. Most of them were built by the Uniflite Corp in Washington State.

These were the lightly armored hotrods used in "Operation Gamewarden" which was only in the rivers and not coastal like the Swifts. We called them plastic-fantastics and that service plus the MRF (Mobile Riverine Force) was where the Navy fought it's real war in Vietnam, especially in the earyly years.

The Swifts, however, came late to the war on the rivers and canals of III and IV Corps. PBRs and MRF boats were inshore (river and canals) during the really heavy fighting from 66-70. Especially 67 and 68.

Until Operation Sealord, starting in late '68, Swifts were doing what they were designed for; Coastal Interdiction. They did it honorably at great risk but it's not to be confused with the "Brown Water Navy"

Zumwalt and Hoffman made a real mistake in sending them inshore IMHO. They should have used PBRs and the MRF. With the exception of Kerry, Swifties on the rivers and canals were honorabe and valiant men serving with the wrong equipment for the mission

Last edited by ASPB on Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:

BTW, my sources tell me it's a water taxi not a swift boat.

RB Shirley, I'm sure will check in later and let us know for sure.

Tom ....

I have no special knowledge about the rumor of such a publicity stunt.
(They certainly would NOT ask anyone from this group to participate!!)

How-some-ever

It IS possible, since there is a genuine Swift Boat still operating near Norfolk.

It is PCF-2, one of the first two Swift Boats manufactured by Sewart
Secraft in Louisiana and used as a training boat at NAB Coronado Is.

....... http://pcf45.com/boat_tour/boat_spec/background.htm .........

This boat was "loaned" to the Tidewater Community College for use as
a marine research vessel, and is still in active use on a daily basis. It
was also present at our last reunion in Norfolk to provide rides and a
trip down memory lane to our Swift Boat sailor veterans. Guess who
arrived with his retinue of reporters and arrogantly brushed aside the
many waiting in line to rudely take over sole use of the craft for a
photo op?

.......... ..........

Since the boat is still technically government property, "IF" Kerry does
use this boat for such a stunt, then there is a legitimate question of the
legality, or at least propriety, of such usage. It would be unusual and
out of line for this boat to make a special trip from Hampton Roads up
to Boston Harbor solely for this purpose.

JMHO .... Bob S

Last edited by rbshirley on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys make me smile
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianbaboon wrote:
you guys make me smile

Ya know IB,

RBShirley and I only met here in this forum. Although we don't know each other at a personal level or even have any idea about shared or disparate political ideology we do share a 35 or so year old experience of commanding inshore combat craft during the Vietnam war. We've fought, we've seen shipmates die, and we've always known that the battle was in furtherance of liberty. Ours and others.

One thing that is often forgotten in our post-modern era is that "true" American patriots do not shed their blood only for Americans but in the belief that "all" humans are entitled to the liberties our nation and the blood of our founders has provided us.

Without meeting Bob I know from his words that he shares this belief. I know that we share the belief that our system of governance can, at times at the cost of our blood, free the world from totalitarians and despots.

We also share the belief that self-aggrandizing politicans that grant supremacy to their aspirations for personal power over individual liberty for all will destroy not only America but the world.

We are not partisans, we are believers in liberty! That's what we fought for 35 years ago and what we fight for today.

Do we fight against Kerry? Absolutely! Why? Because, at least for me, Kerry is about personal power and control and not about liberty and justice for all.

Regardless of how the Demagogic Party might try to tell you that Bob, me, and Swiftboat Veterans for Truth are the slaves of partisan domestic politics; we aren't! We believe in liberty and justice for all!

For me, at this time in the world, it's Arabia. Forty years ago it was the Soviet Union. We won that one, sorta, and we can win this one.

Bob, Do you want to reply.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We also share the belief that self-aggrandizing politicans that grant supremacy to their aspirations for personal power over individual liberty for all will destroy not only America but the world.

We are not partisans, we are believers in liberty! That's what we fought for 35 years ago and what we fight for today.

A truer word has never been spoken. IMO there are as many traitorous republicans as there are dems like Kerry. Politics was supposed to be a duty. which, like all duties should be annoying and done out of loyalty and goodwill, not because of personal gain.

Anyway, I couldn't tell whether you were yelling AT me, or just telling me about your ideology. I'm going to assume it's the latter, since i'm pretty sure you know where my vote is going Smile
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indianbaboon wrote:
Quote:

A truer word has never been spoken. IMO there are as many traitorous republicans as there are dems like Kerry. Politics was supposed to be a duty. which, like all duties should be annoying and done out of loyalty and goodwill, not because of personal gain.

Anyway, I couldn't tell whether you were yelling AT me, or just telling me about your ideology. I'm going to assume it's the latter, since i'm pretty sure you know where my vote is going Smile

Definitely not yelling at all, and especially not at you. Just making the point that "true Americans" fight for liberty wherever it's needed and that people like Bob, me, and the kids doing it in Iraq today do it without regard to partisan politics.
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, i got friends on both sides of the political spectrum over there as we speak.

a true dem and a true republican both hold liberty close to their heart. A true dem is still an idiot, but he's an idiot I can respect. Laughing
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bursting a bubble here perhaps. Kerry is probably taking the water taxi from Logan to Rowes Wharf. Much easier to do that than to try the Mass drivers in the tunnel.

Used to work my dog on the taxi, was enjoyable. Smile
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
Bursting a bubble here perhaps. Kerry is probably taking the water taxi from Logan to Rowes Wharf. Much easier to do that than to try the Mass drivers in the tunnel.

Used to work my dog on the taxi, was enjoyable. Smile

The story in the press is a water taxit from the Navy Yard in Charleston across.
Butch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Boston Cruise Ship Reply with quote

Well, I guess Kerry took a Boston crusie ship across the harbor and not a swift boat or water taxi as reported. He did have 13 of his fellow swift boat veterans with him. I can't possible look that old or maybe I just still feel young. They looked like WWII vets but I guess we are getting older.

Any of you former Swift Boat guys recognize those brainwashed vets? Kerry didn't really look like he was having much fun. He appeared to look as if he wanted to be somewhere else but was forced to be in this photo-op with his so called buddies.

I'm sure you guys will give up updates later when you see the news.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: