SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carter Ends Silence, Praises Iraqi Voting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Carter Ends Silence, Praises Iraqi Voting Reply with quote

Whew!!! I can rest easy now!
I was losing so much sleep waiting for Jimmuh to give his blessing
to the election that he didn't have a part in monitoring!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050211-123325-7245r.htm

Quote:

By Robert Stacy McCain
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Former President Jimmy Carter, who predicted that elections in Iraq would fail and in the past year described the Bush administration's policy there as a quagmire, this week ended 10 days of silence to declare the historic Iraqi vote "a very successful effort."

"I hope that we'll have every success in Iraq," Mr. Carter said in a CNN interview. "And that election, I think, was a surprisingly good step forward."

The Nobel Peace Prize winner's comments on Wednesday contradicted his September assertion that the Iraq elections could not be held by January and ended a period during which the Georgia Democrat's failure to comment prompted one critic to gloat about the election success "shaming him into silence."

Last year, in venues ranging from CNN to National Public Radio, Mr. Carter predicted that Iraq would not be ready for a January election, compared the situation there to the Vietnam War and implied that "the control of oil" was a major reason for the U.S. military presence in Iraq.

"I personally do not believe we will be ready for an election in January," Mr. Carter told Katie Couric Sept. 30 on NBC's "Today" show.

The United States, he said, should "go through the election and then withdraw American troops as rapidly as possible. ... Get us out of there."

As recently as three weeks ago, Mr. Carter predicted low turnout and an unrepresentative result for the Iraq election.

"Whether it's 30 percent turnout or 50 percent turnout, almost entirely Shi'ites and Kurds and just a very few Sunnis, I think, the White House will claim it's a success," Mr. Carter told Matt Lauer on the "Today" show on Jan. 19.

It is estimated that 60 percent of eligible Iraqis voted in that nation's first free elections in more than 50 years. Mr. Carter was correct in predicting low Sunni turnout. Results of the voting, which still are being tabulated, will determine the 275-member transitional national assembly. The assembly will draft a new constitution and select the country's next prime minister.

On Wednesday, even while lauding the Iraqi elections, Mr. Carter reiterated concerns about Shi'ite domination, telling CNN that "the Sunnis almost refused to participate and played a very small role in the most troubled and I'll say violent areas of Iraq."

He added: "Now the question is, will this be a Shi'ite-dominated religious organization formed as the next government, or will it be a democratic secular one? And will there be some way to encourage the Sunnis to come back in and participate?"

During the fall presidential election campaign, Mr. Carter repeatedly condemned the invasion of Iraq — an "unjust and completely unnecessary war," he called it in a Sept. 23 interview with NPR's Tavis Smiley. On that program, Mr. Carter said, "The war has now degenerated, I think, into as much of a quagmire as was Vietnam," and laid out his own proposal for peace in Iraq.

"What we have to do, obviously, is to create a peaceful environment there where at least the United Nations, with its courageous representatives, can come in and help conduct an honest election," said Mr. Carter, adding that he did not "see any possibility of this happening" in time for the January elections.

After about 8 million Iraqis went to the polls, Mr. Carter's September prediction that Iraq would not be ready for elections by Jan. 30 — "there is no security there," he said — was cited by conservative commentators including Mark Steyn and Ann Coulter as proof of liberal wrongheadedness. His silence in the 10 days after the election was greeted with derision by Bush supporters.

"We'd love to hear Jimmy Carter say, 'I was wrong,' but even we aren't idealistic enough to think that's going to happen in this lifetime," the Wall Street Journal's James Taranto said in a postelection comment. "Still, shaming him into silence is almost as great an achievement as bringing democracy to the heart of the Arab world. Chalk up another triumph for George W. Bush."

At the Democratic National Convention in July, Mr. Carter shared box seats with documentary filmmaker Michael Moore. Mr. Carter's remarks in television interviews suggest that he also shared Mr. Moore's belief that the U.S. military intervention in Iraq was largely motivated by the Bush administration's desire to control that nation's oil supply.

In a Dec. 9 appearance on PBS, Mr. Carter said the United States must "be able to share or willing to share the political future of Iraq and the economic future of Iraq with other countries, including the control of oil" — a possibility he called "unlikely."

"I cannot imagine the Bush administration being willing to do that," Mr. Carter told Charlie Rose.

• Researchers John Sopko and Clark Eberly contributed to this report.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter Ends Silence, Praises Iraqi Voting Reply with quote

I wonder when Mr Carter will express his doubts in the US election results because the Jehovah Witness religious sect choose not to vote in US elections. Of course the liberals have said they have concerns because so many Christians vote. Smile

shawa wrote:
Whew!!! I can rest easy now!
I was losing so much sleep waiting for Jimmuh to give his blessing
to the election that he didn't have a part in monitoring!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050211-123325-7245r.htm

Quote:

By Robert Stacy McCain
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

<snip>

On Wednesday, even while lauding the Iraqi elections, Mr. Carter reiterated concerns about Shi'ite domination, telling CNN that "the Sunnis almost refused to participate and played a very small role in the most troubled and I'll say violent areas of Iraq."

He added: "Now the question is, will this be a Shi'ite-dominated religious organization formed as the next government, or will it be a democratic secular one? And will there be some way to encourage the Sunnis to come back in and participate?"

<snip>

• Researchers John Sopko and Clark Eberly contributed to this report.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post something, but its too early in A.M. and probably would get ill talking about Carter. The less I hear of him the better.

Last edited by RogerRabbit on Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I donno. Jimmy Carter wrote "The Hornet's Nest". An historical
fiction account of the Revolutionary War in Georgia. It's a pretty good
read. It's a LOT better than Newt Gingrich's stab at fiction at any
rate.

There! I've said something nice about Jimmy Carter and dumped on
Newt. It probably won't happen again.

(^_^)
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
I was going to post something, but its too early in A.M. and probably would get ill talking about Carter. The less I hear of him the better.

RR; I can sure in the He-- understand the illness. Returning to Haiti and fixing the last election he helped supervise might be a good place to start.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmie Carter? Who cares what he says. He's completely irrelevant. The only thing I want to hear from him is thank god for Reagan and Bush and both won their elections fairly.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jimmy was wrong yet again in his predictions about the Iraqi Election? What so newsworthy about that? The man was a miserable failure as President, W. by contrast has liberated (with the military of course) two middle-eastern nations and the seeds of democracy we have sown started to sprout and grow in that region of the world. Carter gave us the Iran hostage crisis and "malaise". Go back to peanut farming, Mr. President!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: