SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats Fighting Among Themselves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Democrats Fighting Among Themselves Reply with quote

They appear to be shutting Messieur Kerry out!
Don't like Dean. Lots of infighting.
Pelosi making her move.
Don't see much UNITY here.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=7761

Washington Prowler
Animal Kingdom
By The Prowler

Published 2/14/2005 12:09:36 AM

Democrats sat in rapt attention as their king, former President Bill Clinton, pounded away on why his political party was anything but toast.

To cheers and hosannas, Clinton told the thousands at the National Building Museum last Thursday night that things weren't as bad for Democrats as the media and Republicans would have the general public believe. But that the party needed to learn a few lessons from its losses of late. One of them was unity. He told the adoring crowd that Democrats needed to support Howard Dean, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the state parties.

No mention of Sen. John Kerry, who shared the dais with Clinton, and who has been busily working to elevate himself to leader of the opposition nationally. Kerry is said by advisers to have been surprised that Clinton did not highlight him as a party leader to be respected and supported.

But perhaps most telling about Clinton's comments, which were warmly received, was the lack of anything new compared to his remarks at prior DNC functions pre- or post-November election. "He has said this before in just about every Democratic Party setting he's attended," says a Democratic National Committee member. "I've heard this speech ten times in the past couple of years. There is nothing new, and it's unfortunate that he keeps giving it, because it's clear that our leaders aren't listening."

That may a reference to the open warfare that Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi have been waging against Dean in the past couple of months. While the three party leaders did sit down last Thursday, Reid in particular has told anyone who will listen that Dean is not the leader of the Democratic Party. Instead, Reid says, the party's operation will be a shared responsibility, with Dean essentially reporting to Reid, Pelosi, and other senior elected officials.

"There are still so many doubts about Dean that that's the only thing Reid can say to allay concerns," says a Democratic Senate leadership source. "Dean is not the guy everyone wants. He has the backing of the state parties, but he's going to have to line up with the rest of the party leadership here in D.C."

WITH THE ABSENCE OF A STRONG party head, Reid has been elbowing his way through to at least the head of the line with Dean and Pelosi, while at the same time attempting to body block Kerry from standing with them. Reid has privately ridiculed Kerry's outreach to British Prime Minister Tony Blair for advice on opposition party building, according to Senate staffers, and has insisted that the Democratic Party rally around him against what he perceives as GOP attacks against him on the Internet and in fundraising letters.

Reid attended a small White House dinner ten days ago and privately but pointedly asked the President to pull back his attack dogs. Bush apologized to Reid, saying he had nothing to do with it. That wasn't good enough for Reid who, even before major legislative fights have really kicked into hear, is sensing his party may not be up to the fight. With early announcements of retirements and rumors of perhaps a few more, Reid is worried that the stated unity he has claimed in press appearances will not hold.

Meanwhile, with Reid being nipped and nicked from a thousand different directions, House minority leader Nancy Pelosi is attempting to position herself to fill the void left if Reid in fact flames out. Against advise from party media consultants, Pelosi refused to trim back her post-State of the Union remarks made on national TV, which seemed to go on for 20 minutes and focused on one of her weaker areas of expertise: foreign policy.

"If Pelosi is anything, she's an opportunist," says a Republican House leadership aide. "We don't sell her short."

In fact, many Republicans believe it is Pelosi who has been spreading the rumors that her whip, Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer, is mulling a run for the Senate should Sen. Paul Sarbanes decide to retire.

"She's been looking to get Hoyer out of the way, and she's the one who privately has been pushing the Senate rumors. It isn't coming from Hoyer and it isn't coming from the Senate campaign committee," says the Republican staffer.

Pelosi would like to elevate one of her lieutenants with whom she feels a stronger ideological kinship.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too good, Clintonistas, Deaniacs and the SanFranNan Leftists all competing to move left. None of them likes the others.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, what we are seeing here is a variation of Bad Cop, Good Cop. Mr. "I Hate Republicans" will incite what appears to be the Demo base to rally 'round their anti-anything Bush platform and, in two years or so, a newly minted (cough cough) "moderate" Hilary Clinton will emerge as the candidate for ALL the people.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10, I totally agree with you.
I think Hillary is quite happy with the infighting and disarray.
It opens the door for St. Hillary to ride to the rescue of the party
as the "concensus" candidate.
Note Bill Clinton's 'dissing' Kerry by omission, which I'm sure was
intentional.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when you thought it couldn't get sillier. I wonder who is buying these?? I have one notable guess.

BARBARA BOXERS: SENATOR'S SUPPORTERS IN UNDERWEAR PITCH
Sun Feb 13 2005 18:32:20 ET

Supporters of California Sen. Barbara Boxer have launched an underwear line -- with liberal radio network AIR AMERICA hyping the goods!

The next presidential race may be years away, but the race is already tightening up. Introducing: Boxer Classic Thong 2008!

100% Ultra-fine combed ring spun 1x1 baby rib cotton; Size up for a looser fit.

AIR AMERICA's website has been featuring a link to the Boxer merchandise.

[A staffer to Boxer said the senator had "absolutely" nothing to do with the merchandise. "These are not official."]

"This under-goodie is 'outta sight' in low-rise pants... This product is designed to fit juniors," reads the pitch.

Let the campaign begin!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next will be the Howlin' Howie Athletic Supporter. Good Grief!!!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of fighting, who do you like best marching into battle at the head of our troops: Pelosi, Dean or Reid? Laughing OK, how 'bout Boxer or Hildebeest? Laughing Laughing
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Me#1You#10, I totally agree with you.
I think Hillary is quite happy with the infighting and disarray.
It opens the door for St. Hillary to ride to the rescue of the party
as the "concensus" candidate.
Note Bill Clinton's 'dissing' Kerry by omission, which I'm sure was
intentional.

I disagree here. Hillary Clinton Rodham has no love for Dean and Howlin' Howie remembers how the Clintonistas torpedoed him. If the Queen had control Dean would not be Chairman. Madame Dufarge has a lot of resistance within the factions and her power is in question. sKerry, Algore, and Dean are all on the hunt and the Arkansas mafia is in trouble.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong
I didn't mean there was any collusion between Hillary and Dean.
There are real bad feelings there. The Clintons sure didn't want Dean taking control of
the party. But I think Hillary will position herself as the
only one who can pull the party together.

Personally, I think Dean is harboring designs to run again.
That's why he wanted the DNC Chairmanship so bad.
If the Clintons had gotten one of their guys in, Dean would have
no chance. I think he will spend the next couple of years building
grass roots support and organization at the state levels, something that
he is very good at. Ironically, he can build relationships and support with the politicos
in all the states as his full time job while collecting a paycheck from the DNC.

Then, he can announce his candidacy and resign the chairmanship,
naming a handpicked surrogate to the chair.

Farfetched?? Maybe. But it's going to be fun to watch!!
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
GM Strong
I didn't mean there was any collusion between Hillary and Dean.
There are real bad feelings there. The Clintons sure didn't want Dean taking control of
the party. But I think Hillary will position herself as the
only one who can pull the party together.

Personally, I think Dean is harboring designs to run again.
That's why he wanted the DNC Chairmanship so bad.
If the Clintons had gotten one of their guys in, Dean would have
no chance. I think he will spend the next couple of years building
grass roots support and organization at the state levels, something that
he is very good at. Ironically, he can build relationships and support with the politicos
in all the states as his full time job while collecting a paycheck from the DNC.

Then, he can announce his candidacy and resign the chairmanship,
naming a handpicked surrogate to the chair.

Farfetched?? Maybe. But it's going to be fun to watch!!

I agree, but there are people who think it is orchastrated. Queen Hillary and the Clintonoids will destroy anyone in the way and then move in to the rescue. Their underwhelming support for sKerry was a case in point. Nonetheless, as Hillary Clinton Rodham tries to make a more Moderate pitch, it will flounder, as the public is generally smarter than she gives them credit for and she cannot do too much with out the Deaniac kooks being disaffected. The Kook base and the various interests have to be coddled. Not an easy prospect in a fractured environment.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong
Quote:
The Kook base and the various interests have to be coddled.
Not an easy prospect in a fractured environment.

Heh, Heh!! Like I said, it's going to be fun to watch.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see who won the male & female vice chairs? of the DNC.??

I saw part of the proceedings on c-span one of the candiates claim to fame was being the first to organize voters from the Hip Hop Community. ??

Leeman
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I don't believe Dean's plans are based upon a desire to be POTUS. I think he's truly an ideologue who would be content with transforming the Democratic platform into the Gospel according to Dean.

The Clinton's, OTOH, are pure political pragmatists with their eyes fixed unerringly on THE prize. I'm confident Dean would gleefully take a backseat to Hilary's ambition and her self-serving newfound "moderacy".

The "third wheel" in this dance is the Kennedy-Kerry faction...looks like they'll have to sit the next one out...unless, of course, Kennedy is eyeing the next generation of Kennedy's for a long-shot candidacy...perhaps Joe or RFK Jr.? (egad)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 said
Quote:
...perhaps Joe or RFK Jr.? (egad)

Egad!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: