SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Can a Leader Leave His Soldiers Behind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizzfan
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: How Can a Leader Leave His Soldiers Behind? Reply with quote

I am a retired Army officer with over 30 years active duty. I will accept the "fact" that Mr. Kerry went to Viet Nam and was decorated. But how could a Commissioned Officer commander of sailors or soldiers choose to voluntarily leave his men behind and flee to safety of home for himself? That tells me more about this man's lack of integrity than anything I've heard about him yet. Doesn't have my vote or respect.

tpr
navy-ex
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only did he leave them behind, he endangered them, his boat, and wasted ammo to film his home movies.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How Can a Leader Leave His Soldiers Behind? Reply with quote

grizzfan wrote:
I am a retired Army officer with over 30 years active duty. I will accept the "fact" that Mr. Kerry went to Viet Nam and was decorated. But how could a Commissioned Officer commander of sailors or soldiers choose to voluntarily leave his men behind and flee to safety of home for himself? That tells me more about this man's lack of integrity than anything I've heard about him yet. Doesn't have my vote or respect.

tpr

Bingo!!

Maybe Kerry was "valorous", or maybe not... I don't know. I do think his "bugging out" after three minor wounds was unconscionable. Yeah, I know, that was the "policy"... if one asked for it.

My Dad got only one Purple Heart in Korea... he got to come home in a body bag:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7030291&pt=Reginald%20Desiderio

I could have invoked another obscure policy to avoid going to Vietnam. It was called the "sole surviving son" policy. Since my brother was already there in the 1st CAVDIV, I could have "bugged out", or, my brother could have come home early. We both said NO to that.

As far as any "medals" are concerned, our mom is really the one who deserved them.
keefer fm MD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow vets. Today I fired off an email to Sean Hannity because of the "pass" I feel he gave yesterday while Janeane Garafolo was on his show at the DNC. I let him know that Garafolo's "Kerry came back and protested the war" excuse was retribution for his alleged war crimes.

While I know that atrocities occur in war, I hardly believe what Kerry said happened on a regular basis. I was a teenager during the war, and, besides the Calley incident at My Lai, I can't recall any other major atrocities committed.

Anyway, I'm calling ******** on Kerry's atrocities claim, and I'm dismissing his "we were following orders" excuse. Because, as an officer, ACOMMANDER OF A SWIFT BOAT, it would've been his duty to report such orders, not follow them.

Comments please; I don't get here often enough, but I always enjoy blogging with you folks. Godspeed on Sept 12th!

Swiftvets rock!
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: How Can a Leader Leave His Soldiers Behind? Reply with quote

DADESID wrote:
My Dad got only one Purple Heart in Korea... he got to come home in a body bag:

Sir,

Please accept this soldier's son's sincerest thanks for all you and your family have given to this country. If your Mom's still around please, if it wouldn't make her feel uncomfortable, give her my most humble regards. She must be so proud of all of her men!

Oh and, after reading your link, in my way of looking at it, your father was technically the recipient of multiple purple hearts. If you get two wounds, one on each leg lets say, and you're evacuated, you get one purple heart for your wounds. But if you're wounded, and you decline evacuation, and you keep fighting, and you're wounded again, and again you decline evacuation, and you keep fighting, and again you're wounded, etc.... well, in my eye, those are multiple purple hearts. They just happen to all take place in the same battle.

I was going to draw a comparison between that ONE DAY in the life of your father, and the entire career of a certain other soldier, but personally, I wouldn't mention the other soldier's name in the same post as one in which I speak of a man the likes of your old man.

Sir, it's an honor!

Semper Fi,

MarineBrat
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>If your Mom's still around please, if it wouldn't make her feel uncomfortable, give her my most humble regards.<<<MarineBrat

Thanks for the kind words. She passed on in '96, and is buried in the same plot as Dad.

Semper Fidelis
Semper Paratus
Nec Aspera Terrent

Dave Desiderio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: