SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jane Fonda questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Hetherton, jr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Jane Fonda questions Reply with quote

A claim was made by a former "Hanoi Hilton" POW recently that Jane Fonda betrayed POWs by turning over slips of paper they gave her to their captors at her infamous visit to Hanoi. POWs were beaten and died as a result...Their is a dispute about this being true. I have heard of it over the years, but this is the first time I know of that an actuall POW has made that statement. Does any one here have documentation (NOT RUMORS) that this event actually occured? Especially from a POW who was there. I certainlydo not dispute the claim of the POW who made it, it just caught me by surprise after all these years. Jack H. Viet Nam 68/69 & charter member Swift Boat Sailors Assoc.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have my doubts as to the non-partisan nature of "Snopes", they do not look kindly on Jane Fonda's Vietnam era activity and characterize it as "unpardonable."

FWIW, and with that in mind, they discount the "notes" anecdote as unauthentic...

Snopes wrote:
The most serious accusations in the piece quoted above — that Fonda turned over slips of paper furtively given her by American POWS to the North Vietnamese and that several POWs were beaten to death as a result — are proveably untrue. Those named in the inflammatory e-mail categorically deny the events they supposedly were part of.

"It's a figment of somebody's imagination," says Ret. Col. Larry Carrigan, one of the servicemen mentioned in the 'slips of paper' incident. Carrigan was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967 and did spend time in a POW camp. He has no idea why the story was attributed to him, saying, "I never met Jane Fonda."

Snopes

Anyone else know of another source?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed in with all the truthes of "Hanoi" Jane are several snippets of untruth, such as the turning over of these slips of paper. What she did do was well documented and well known, to those who wish to learn the truth about her activities.

The way I see it, mixing in several untruths along with the truth enables disclaiming all the claims against her, eventually. "If part of it is a lie, all of it must be a lie," type thing.

From another Urban Legend site, here is a breakdown of truth and fiction pertaining to that email;

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm

She did issue what she calls an “apology” in 1988 but I see it has little more than an appeasement meant to mollify local veterans when she was trying to produce a movie. Her later flippant claims that hating her is a cottage industry does little to show me sincerity in her “apology.”

For me, I'll always be not Fonda Jane. Mad
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missle lover Shocked
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Mixed in with all the truthes of "Hanoi" Jane are several snippets of untruth, such as the turning over of these slips of paper. What she did do was well documented and well known, to those who wish to learn the truth about her activities.

The way I see it, mixing in several untruths along with the truth enables disclaiming all the claims against her, eventually. "If part of it is a lie, all of it must be a lie," type thing.

From another Urban Legend site, here is a breakdown of truth and fiction pertaining to that email;

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm

She did issue what she calls an “apology” in 1988 but I see it has little more than an appeasement meant to mollify local veterans when she was trying to produce a movie. Her later flippant claims that hating her is a cottage industry does little to show me sincerity in her “apology.”

For me, I'll always be not Fonda Jane. Mad

Well said Lew and second the importance of what is known, rather then urban myths.

I like to go back to Henry Fonda and his disgust with his daughters anti-americanism. It wasn't until he was dying and decided to do 'On Golden Pond' with Jane that he made peace with her. It is the christian way to forgive and love your children regardless of what they do, but old Henry sure did have a hard time coming to that. He died shortly after the movie came out.

I recently watched the movie and recommend everyone watch it. Jane is the unapologetic selfish center of the universe and Henry is the stoic giant he exhibited throughout his career. He was not a man of countless scandals consistent with todays hollywood actors, but rather consistent with the actors of another day that came to arms when America was under attack.

A good man with a bad seed. Happens to us all.

Damn had to add one thing, think about all of our current actors and who would compare to Henry Fonda today?

The only person I can think of is Mel Gibson, and the left try to make him out to be a religous nut, yet hes been married since he came to hollywood and has 7 or 8 kids. Never divorced. Name me another person whos managed that in H-wood.

Last edited by GenrXr on Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gen'r, I think that fox guy is going to have a show on sunday about hollywierd vs. America. I think Ill watch it. Rolling Eyes
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Hey Gen'r, I think that fox guy is going to have a show on sunday about hollywierd vs. America. I think Ill watch it. Rolling Eyes

Ohh must see TV Smile, who is the host?
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jane Fonda questions Reply with quote

Jack Hetherton, jr wrote:
A claim was made by a former "Hanoi Hilton" POW recently that Jane Fonda betrayed POWs by turning over slips of paper they gave her to their captors at her infamous visit to Hanoi. POWs were beaten and died as a result...Their is a dispute about this being true. I have heard of it over the years, but this is the first time I know of that an actuall POW has made that statement. Does any one here have documentation (NOT RUMORS) that this event actually occured? Especially from a POW who was there. I certainlydo not dispute the claim of the POW who made it, it just caught me by surprise after all these years. Jack H. Viet Nam 68/69 & charter member Swift Boat Sailors Assoc.

It's all untrue, except for the part that mentions Michael Benge.

It has been debunked by NAM/POW Association Historian, past president, and resident de-bunker Mike McGrath. If I find what he says (I have it somewhere) I will post it here.

This letter, in various forms, has been going around the internet for at least 6-7 years.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: