SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hunter S Thompson Kills himself

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Hunter S Thompson Kills himself Reply with quote

Symbolic of 60's radicals for their cause is officially dead with G W's dedication to do the right thing in the middle east and his re-election against all odds. I enjoyed reading Thompsons writing becuase he was brilliant, yet he was also a deranged lunatic with a fanatical left wing outlook. If he wasn't so self-absorbed as all lefties are and found something of principle in his life he would have had something to live for.

Thompson killing himself made me think of another self-absorbed person who lacks character, ole Bill Clinton. Once slick realizes he is nothing I wouldn't be surprised if he also takes his life. I forsee Clinton as the first ex-President who commits suicide.

These are sick self interested people. Typical of the left today
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is Bedtime for Gonzo, then, eh?

He was 67. You know if you hang around long enough, body parts fall off or quit working. Maybe he got tired of that.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
I guess it is Bedtime for Gonzo, then, eh?

He was 67. You know if you hang around long enough, body parts fall off or quit working. Maybe he got tired of that.

Whats funny is Gonzo journalism is what the major news outlets engage in and what is killing them off. They just feign it.

Dan Rathers interview of Hussein prior to the war is the example which comes to mind. Hussein wasn't the story it was Danny going to interview him. Call it 'Fear and Loathing in Baghdad'.

As for him killing himself because body parts are not working? People kill themselves when they are devoid of any spirit. It has nothing to do with the physical.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss of any life is sad, but this is pathetic. Taking one's own life is the worst insult you can make to those who value you. There is nothing heroic or gallant about it. It is a last act of desperation. How empty this guy must have been to commit such an act of self loathing. I can have no sympathy.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty years ago "Woodstein" sanctified the 5th Estate. Hunter Thompson with that license was the Pied Piper of Gonzo. "Woodstein" had tediously investigated information and had a knowledge base to place that data in context. Journalism students of the '70s wanted only to get their blow dryers and gain fame without the effort. The 'Duke' showed them the way. Gonzo journalism found facts troublesome and laborious. The 'Greater Truth' was to be had by allegory, exaggeration, rank postulation and gratuitous supposition generously sprinkled with outraged and outrageous bombast to curry sympathy and attention. Journalism was transformed from a trade based on acquired knowledge to a profession based on technique. In the case of 'Gonzo' it was a technique without substance or validity among most of it's practitioners. It's a style determined to be polemical, not expository.

Hunter's earlier work was fun to read as personal observations but woefully far from truthful. The surprise is that he was allowed to kill himself and some long aggrieved Hell's Angel hadn't done it for him.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
...Taking one's own life is the worst insult...

M*A*S*H says "suicide is painless" but it's painless only for the perp.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Quote:
As for him killing himself because body parts are not working? People kill themselves when they are devoid of any spirit. It has nothing to do with the physical.

Bingo!

If one spends a lifetime ingesting massive doses of Central Nervous System depressant (alcohol) and on top of that other assorted brain screwers, the only wonder is that one did not swallow a 12 gauge decades sooner.

Hunter's legacy will be that he gave the Old Media something "new" (at the time) - the weapons with which it is now committing suicide - fiction rather than truth, sensationalism rather than substance and self-importance rather than objectivity as the brass rings of a journalistic career.

Isn't it interesting that the major sensations in the news world lately have been about journalists, and not about what the journalists are reporting - Eason Jordan, Dan Rather, the source/contempt court cases and on and on.

The major impact of the blogs on information dissemination is just this: most widely read bloggers are just smarter, more reasoned and more perceptive than traditional journalists. AND, they are also not (for the most part) major celebrities. AND their interest is in getting the truth straight - without some burden of hidden agendas and extraneous politico-corporate influences. Bloggers can make a mark fast simply by fisking the nonsense that incompetents pass off as reporting and writing and have heretofore gotten away with, simply because they are employed by the "best" Old Media outlets.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From James Lileks.

"HST killed himself. He never would have “turned his life around” – that’s a hard thing to try when the room’s been spinning for 40 years. Depression? Wouldn’t be surprising. A bad verdict from the doc? Wouldn’t be surprising. A great writer in his prime, but the DVD of his career would have the last two decades on the disc reserved for outtakes and bloopers. It was all bile and spittle at the end, and it was hard to read the work without smelling the dank sweat of someone consumed by confusion, anger, sudden drunken certainties and the horrible fear that when he sat down to write, he could only muster a pale parody of someone else’s satirical version of his infamous middle period. I feel sorry for him, but I’ve felt sorry for him for years. File under Capote, Truman – meaning, whatever you thought of the latter-day persona, don’t forget that there was a reason he had a reputation. Read "Hell's Angels." That was a man who could hit the keys right."

I think James has got it right.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is SICK. Sick people and sick environment.

ASPEN — Hunter S. Thompson heard the ice clinking.
The literary champ was sitting in his command post kitchen chair, a piece of blank paper in his favorite typewriter, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot through the mouth hours earlier.
But a small circle of family and friends gathered around with stories, as he wished, with glasses full of his favored elixir — Chivas Regal on ice.
"It was very loving. It was not a panic, or ugly, or freaky," Thompson's wife, Anita Thompson, said Thursday night in her first spoken comments since the icon's death Sunday. "It was just like Hunter wanted. He was in control here."
Anita Thompson also echoes the comments that have been made by Hunter Thompson's son and daughter-in-law: That her husband's suicide did not come from the bottom of the well, but was a gesture of strength and ultimate control made as his life was at a high-water mark.
"This is a triumph of his, not a desperate, tragic failure," Anita Thompson said by phone, recounting that she was sitting in her husband's chair he called his catbird seat in the Rockies.
She added: "He lived a beautiful life and he lived it on his own terms, all the way from the very beginning to the very end."
Anita Thompson, like her husband's other close relatives, understood how Hunter Thompson wanted to make his ultimate exit.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russert's replaying a Feb' 03 interview with Hunter:

He prefers the draft to the current mercenary war mongers,

Likes sKerry 'cause he thinks like me,

Rangels his favorite congressman,

Likes Clinton in 'black' sorta way,

he screeches ethereally when he can't find his words...which is often as he's drinking on camera.

He's bearly intelligible and sounds on the incipient edge of serious lung dysfunction. Hunched over his drink in satorial cacophony without socks....Johnny Depp does it better.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little post-script on Hunter:

"Fear and Loathing of the Gonzo Establishment"
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/dw20050228.shtml
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Great little post-script on Hunter:

"Fear and Loathing of the Gonzo Establishment"
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/dw20050228.shtml

A great read.

Thanks I B Squidly!
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Thompson postscript:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/jj20050304.shtml

This one works in a name familiar on this board:
Quote:

‘‘Just the opposite: He was the self-described ‘champion of fun.’ ’’ Douglas Brinkley, the well-known historian and Thompson family friend, declared that Thompson ‘‘made a conscious decision that he had an incredible run of 67 years, lived the way he wanted to, and wasn’t going to suffer the indignities of old age.’’
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: