SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Iran a threat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I admire LADY Thatcher.

It's like she snatched my very thoughts right out of my brain. Smile

Quote:
Thatcher urges Bush to 'finish business of Iraq'
By Toby Harnden in Washington
(Filed: 12/02/2002)

LADY Thatcher praised President Bush's leadership yesterday and called for the war on terrorism to focus on the "unfinished business" of Iraq.

The former Prime Minister used an article in the New York Times to back vigorously the policy outlined in Mr Bush's State of the Union speech.

Describing Saddam Hussein as "the most notorious rogue", Lady Thatcher said: "How and when, not whether, to remove him are the only important questions." She urged Britain to "extend strong support" to Mr Bush.

Lady Thatcher compared the threat of Muslim fundamentalism to that of communism. "Islamic extremism today, like Bolshevism in the past, is an armed doctrine.

"It is an aggressive ideology promoted by fanatical, well-armed devotees. And, like communism, it requires an all-embracing long-term strategy to defeat it."

She identified the second phase of the war against terrorism as involving strikes against centres of Islamic terror groups in Africa and South-East Asia, presumably references to Somalia and the Philippines.

A third phase, she argued, should deal with Mr Bush's "axis of evil" - Iran, Iraq and North Korea - and other states.

These included Syria, which she described as an enemy of Western values; Libya, which "still hates the West", and Sudan, which "undertakes genocide against its own citizens in the name of Islam".

Lady Thatcher was critical of Western policy on global terrorist networks. "We have harboured those who hated us, tolerated those who threatened us and indulged those who weakened us."

She used the words of the poet Milton to describe America after September 11 as like "a noble and puissant nation rousing herself like a strong man after sleep".

America should resist being drawn into peacekeeping and "nation-building" efforts because "it is best that the United States, as the only global military superpower, deploy its energies militarily rather than on social work".

Lady Thatcher, who had a close friendship with Ronald Reagan but relatively cool relations with George Bush Snr, indicated that the present president had won her esteem in a way that his father failed to do.

The West needed to strengthen its resolve, she concluded. "The good news is that America has a president who can offer the leadership necessary to do so."

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS

Last edited by oasis on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. As I live and breathe, will wonders never cease. For the first time in my life I've heard Margaret Thatcher say something I can actually agree with. This truly is an age of miracles to be sure. Laughing

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
oasis
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Up Date..

Theo van Gogh, 47 had received death threats after his film
Submission was shown on Dutch TV.

Look Who Isn't Talking

A filmmaker is murdered, and Hollywood loudmouths say nothing.

Dutch political leader cites 'arrival of jihad'

Gunman kills Dutch film director

Theo van Gogh

Quote:
THE HAGUE -- The government vowed tough measures yesterday against what a leading politician called ''the arrival of jihad in the Netherlands" after a death threat against a Dutch lawmaker was found in a letter pinned with a knife to the body of a slain filmmaker.

The five-page letter, signed by a suspected terrorist group, was released Thursday by the justice minister, and forced political leaders to take on bodyguards. Dutch authorities arrested nine men in Tuesday's slaying of filmmaker Theo van Gogh, all of whom are tied to Islamic militant groups. Two suspects have been released.

Titled ''An open Letter to [Aayan] Hirsi Ali," it referred to a Somali-born member of parliament who scripted Van Gogh's film,
''Submission," which criticized women's treatment under Islam. Hirsi Ali, who says she is a former Muslim, is now in hiding.

Please donate to the.. RED CROSS
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mullahs find their Iron Grip slipping away, as emerging democracies with US troops in place surround them. Their only option to keep power is to possess the Genie and hold the Free World as a nuclear hostage.

GW understands this and can anyone still doubt his word when he says, “Iran will never have a nuclear weapon”? I think the world knows now this guy means what he says.

Hey Mullahs cover your ears! The sound of freedom comes with very loud bangs. Death to yourself you old perverts.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea has a few bombs and Iran wants some too. I think it's time we dusted off the cold war policy of Mutually Assured Destruction with a variation.

If any nukes go off anywhere in the world and any harm comes to America or its allies, and if we can't immediately determine that nuke came from a known nuclear power, we will assume the nuke came from both North Korea and Iran and we will eradicate the political and military structure in each country in response.

All of our nukes are just getting dusty and rusty anyway. And when is the last time we really tested our cruise missles? Two, three years ago?

That basically kept Russia and China in check during the cold war, and I think it will keep the whack jobs in Iran and North Korea in check also.

Both governments hate us anyway. We have nothing to lose by standing up to them and laying down the law. Hell, I don't care if the whole world hates us, as long as they are too afraid to mess with us it's fine with me.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
...we will assume the nuke came from both North Korea and Iran...

It's scary but I'm inclined to agree. Although these devastating weapons were created to save lives, they've not been used and our troops have paid dearly. If someone else uses such a weapon, It'll be time to use them as planned 50 years ago. I'm no longer afraid the world will hate us because they already do. Perhaps it's time to make them respect or at least fear us.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Uncaring Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't sound like I don't care, but they hate us and I still slept well last night. Night before, too.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sleep well also.

I know our armed forces deployed around the globe are keeping watch over me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: