SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I have no intention of using it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: "I have no intention of using it." Reply with quote

It seems that the press, perhaps inspired by the recent Drudge stories, is, at long last, beginning to give more than a cursory glance at some Kerry lore once thought "old news" and inconsequential.

Witness this authors metamorphosis when he applies a critical eye to a re-examination of Kerry's "8mm" escapade...

Quote:
What John Kerry once said about the footage of him in Vietnam.
by Stephen F. Hayes
The Weekly Standard
07/29/2004

Boston

<snip>

On the one hand, the Kerry campaign has chosen to make Vietnam an issue in this campaign; one could argue that this invites such scrutiny. And I have no problem with Kerry's fellow soldiers airing their grievances, particularly about his painful (and some would say slanderous) words about the actions of his colleagues in Vietnam. Kerry no doubt painted with too broad a brush in describing the crimes committed by some soldiers in Vietnam. The resentment many veterans still harbor at Kerry's antiwar rhetoric upon his return is understandable.

But for me, the bottom line is this: John Kerry served his country and deserves credit for doing so. So I woke up this morning intending to write a piece making that point. I retrieved an article written some two years ago by Bill Keller--then a columnist, now executive editor--of the New York Times.

<snip>

...what struck me about the article--reading it today, hours before the film airs in at the convention and in millions of homes across the country--was something Kerry told Keller about the footage from Vietnam.

Here's the entire one-sentence paragraph, as written by Keller:

"It is so innocent," he said by way of introducing his youthful cinematic effort, adding a little defensively, "I have no intention of using it" for campaign purposes.

Is this just another example of a Kerry flip-flop? The public record suggests it might be worse.

The Weekly Standard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: