SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost My VA Benefits Today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problem then in getting the compensation reinstated. Agent Orange claims are now among the easiest to sustain, provided you have one of the "presumptively service connected" conditions, and you do.

Good luck.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was very much surprised at how too few know of this compensation for the disease. A very large percentage of those I served with have type 2. It would be nice if there was a way to get the word out from the VA to these people, not just word-of-mouth. I just happened to find it out from a casual conversation with my bro-in-law's neighbor!
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slednfool wrote:
Quote:
What does "Agent Orange" have to do with diabetes?

You need to read Stolen Valor by B.G. Burkett, "Agent Orange" is a lie.

I am a big fan of Burkett, but his case depends largely on the lack of any large number of medical cases among Nam Vets, as of the date of publication (1998). And much of his research went on years before publication date. I'm not so sure he'd be so convinced today. It seems like it just takes a long time to produce illness.

Walt Jones, who was an early member on this board, was diagnosed with a rare Agent Orange related cancer and died from medical complications within four months. It made quite an impact on this board. See:http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12408&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=walt+jones&start=45

Less than a month later I heard from the wife (widow) of one of my comrades, from my own unit, who died in the same time frame from a different kind of AO related cancer - in just four months.

I have several buddies from my unit who have children with spina bifida, a tragic birth defect causally related to exposure to AO in their veteran fathers.

We were in an engineering unit and many guys used the stuff in hand carried spray cans, often getting generous exposure repeatedly and close up while spraying perimeter foilage for all kinds of defensive construction.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
Quote:
Thank you. I was very much surprised at how too few know of this compensation for the disease. A very large percentage of those I served with have type 2. It would be nice if there was a way to get the word out from the VA to these people, not just word-of-mouth. I just happened to find it out from a casual conversation with my bro-in-law's neighbor!

The interesting thing about Agent Orange compensation is that, until recently, the conditions presumed to be connected were rare. Now Type 2 Diabetes and prostate cancer and lung cancer are connected. If you served in-country in Vietnam and have any of the connected conditions, you are entitled to compensation. These facts are not hard to prove.

The VA's Agent Orange Homepage is at: http://www1.va.gov/agentorange/
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d19thdoc

Is the loss of sight due to diabetic retinopathy, compensated?
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the diabetes is compensible, regardless of the complications or severity of the case; provided it is diabetes 2 and provided you served in-country in Vietnam during the war. Compensation is "rated" by degree of disability - like 10% for a monor disability, and on up for greater disabilities. Each higher percentage equals more money.

See the linked VA website above.

You should see a VSO ("Veterans Service Officer") from one of the veterans organizations like DAV or American Legion, and let him/her represent your claim (for free). They usually have offices on site with VA Regional Offices and/or Medical Centers, and are in the phone book.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d19thdoc

Thx for the help. I appreciate that. Yes, I served in-country for 12 months in the Mekong Delta with the U. S. Army 9th DIV Riverine Force. I have found aperson who works with the VA and the DAV. He helped a friend of mine to get his 100%. I'm not looking for 100%, there are many others who rightfully deserve that. I think what brought this about was when I was told by the VA to see about an increase because of the loss of sight in my right eye. I think I opened a can of worms. Maybe I should have left it at 60%. Oh well...
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, "compensation" is exactly that - you are entitled to it becasue you've lost something or suffered something as a result of your service.

Instead of opening a can of worms, maybe what you've really done is made an opportunity to correct the record now, rather than have this bite you later when such a reversal would cause more upheaval.

If a compensible condition becomes worse over time, you should be entitled to increased compensation - especially if you can no longer engage in "subsantially gainful employment."

You can also apply for "unemployability" compensation, which leaves your rating at less than 100%, but which pays the 100% rate because you are not able to work. Ask your VSO about this.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up on my loss of benefits related to Agent Orange. I contacted a Veterans Rights advocate and he guided me through the bureaucracy of the VA. I now have a NSO from the Disabled American Veterans taking good care of me. ALL the original benefits WILL be restored and others I had no clue about. The sad part about tis situation is that I am not the only one. The NSO on my case had sixty cases alone last week with the same problem. The VA has had orders from the administration to check old claims and if they find only a slight error in wording, they will stop the claim! The VA is blaming the problem on untrained personnel in the VA processing the claims. I believe MY problem is on its way to being solved, but if any veteran is having problems with the VA, the DAV and one of their NSO's can get you through the mess.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: