SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converging U.S. Navy aircraft carrier groups in Middle East
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Converging U.S. Navy aircraft carrier groups in Middle East Reply with quote

From India press
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/1877.asp
Converging U.S. Navy aircraft carrier groups in Middle East send strong message to Iran and Syria
Sudhir Chadda
Mar. 12, 2005
Quote:
The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt is on the move in Atlantic Ocean and is possibly headed towards the Mediterranean Sea. The convergence of three carrier groups in the corridor of the Middle East will send very strong message to the Syrians and Iranians. There are indications that soon US is moving two more aircraft carrier battle groups to the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Gulf. This will spell a formidable strike force for Iran and Syria who are in defiance on issues of Lebanon and Nuclear weapons development.

Outbound from Singapore, the USS Carl Vinson is currently crossing the Indian Ocean headed towards Middle-East. This will be the first time since February 2004 that US will have three major carrier groups stationed on and around Middle East.

Each of these carrier groups carry nearly 85 aircrafts and is capable of deliver precision-guided munitions. In addition there are anti-submarine aircrafts, airborne-early-warning and rotary-wing aircrafts. Because in the air refueling capabilities these aircrafts can operate from a long distance. The carrier groups are independent and can operate indefinitely.

U.S. military air bases in Turkey, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia and the three carrier groups will create a formidable force far superior to any military in the region.

In addition more than 100,000 battle hardened force in Iraq will be another major force in case US has to use force against Iran and Syria.

hmm what's this about? Usual or unusual?

(I know zip about carrier groups, or things military)
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like normal carrier group rotations to me. They could keep them on watch for awhile to send a point, but it seems pretty routine to me and the cost is enormous.

$25,000,000 plus a month support costs per carrier group times five. Nearly a quarter of a billion a month. I guess we won't get that new furniture for the office or pay the light bill on base.

Remember each Cruise Missile they pop off costs 1.2 mil to replace.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like U.S. is moving the carriers into the region to put more pressure
on Iran and to back up Israel if they attack Iran.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1522978,00.html
Quote:
Revealed: Israel plans strike on Iranian nuclear plant

Uzi Mahnaimi

March 13,2005

ISRAEL has drawn up secret plans for a combined air and ground attack on targets in Iran if diplomacy fails to halt the Iranian nuclear programme.

The inner cabinet of Ariel Sharon, the Israeli prime minister, gave “initial authorisation” for an attack at a private meeting last month on his ranch in the Negev desert.

Israeli forces have used a mock-up of Iran’s Natanz uranium enrichment plant in the desert to practise destroying it. Their tactics include raids by Israel’s elite Shaldag (Kingfisher) commando unit and airstrikes by F-15 jets from 69 Squadron, using bunker-busting bombs to penetrate underground facilities.

The plans have been discussed with American officials who are said to have indicated provisionally that they would not stand in Israel’s way if all international efforts to halt Iranian nuclear projects failed.

Tehran claims that its programme is designed for peaceful purposes but Israeli and American intelligence officials — who have met to share information in recent weeks — are convinced that it is intended to produce nuclear weapons.

The Israeli government responded cautiously yesterday to an announcement by Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, that America would support Britain, France and Germany in offering economic incentives for Tehran to abandon its programme.

In return, the European countries promised to back Washington in referring Iran to the United Nations security council if the latest round of talks fails to secure agreement.

Silvan Shalom, the Israeli foreign minister, said he believed that diplomacy was the only way to deal with the issue. But he warned: “The idea that this tyranny of Iran will hold a nuclear bomb is a nightmare, not only for us but for the whole world.”

Dick Cheney, the American vice-president, emphasised on Friday that Iran would face “stronger action” if it failed to respond. But yesterday Iran rejected the initiative, which provides for entry to the World Trade Organisation and a supply of spare parts for airliners if it co-operates.

“No pressure, bribe or threat can make Iran give up its legitimate right to use nuclear technology for peaceful purposes,” said an Iranian spokesman.

US officials warned last week that a military strike on Iranian nuclear facilities by Israeli or American forces had not been ruled out should the issue become deadlocked at the United Nations.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember each Cruise Missile they pop off costs 1.2 mil to replace.

Dang it, PhantomSgt! Now I can't complain about my taxes.

Looks like Israel might do our dirty work for us again (first with Iraq's nuke power plant, now Iran's). Works for me.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe out of our 12 carrier battle groups 6 of them are either not active or will be due to maintenance. For us to put half of our active carrier groups over there is a strong point indeed. We are about to attack which is good. Time for diplomacy is long gone we must win the war.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like standard Op Tempo to me, 1 in the Med, 1 in the Gulf with another on the way. Both Iraq wars were fought with only 3 on statation...it was a land war. Then again I'm remembering a 13 carrier group navy. What have we now?

I gotta say that Iowa class battlewagons are terribly over-engineered for delivering cruisemissles but I watched the Jersey kill the the Grayback at 1700 miles with a $400,000 cruise before GPS, Microsoft or 64k processors. What gives with the price of these things? Inflation would seem to be offset by technal inovation and scale of production.
crockspot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on CU last night mentioned that the Roosevelt is undergoing flight deck certification training in the Atlantic...

Isn't that the one that was giving tsunami aid? The pilots are overdue for recert.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crockspot wrote:
Someone on CU last night mentioned that the Roosevelt is undergoing flight deck certification training in the Atlantic...

Isn't that the one that was giving tsunami aid? The pilots are overdue for recert.

The Lincoln group is assisting in the tsunami relief effort.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the French will help out and send in their Navy..

Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, and risk their "bateau ŕ rames?" Very Happy
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the french really are environmentaly minded... I see they use all ellectric propulsion, likely solar charged eh?

Seriously though What is CU?
Quote:
Someone on CU last night
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rparrott21 wrote:
Maybe the French will help out and send in their Navy..

In all fairness, this referenced image has been Photoshopped from
one put together by the Armed Forces of Malta as a spoof of their
normal patrol tasks interdicting and providing humanitarian relief
to the many illegals and others trying to enter southern Europe
via the short gap in the Mediteranean Sea between Africa, Malta
and Italy.

The AFM's Maritime Squadron operates the last two
Swift Boats on active duty anywhere in the world. These
boats have been performing the same tasks, with the same
perfomance, for the past thirty-five years. Exactly like the
US Navy Swifts did so long ago and far away.

The short gap between northern Africa and Italy via Malta
is a natural and favorite pathway for illegal drug traffic, and
many people seeking unauthorized entry into Europe. As
well as other illegal activities. The AFM Swifts, along with
the other AFM vessels, work with the authorities in Italy and
other countries to interdict and/or constrain this flow.

The AFM also recently put into service two Protector
Class
patrol boats similar to those used by the US
Coast Guard in their homeland security roles. These
were provided, as were the Swifts, as part of the US
military assistance program. AFM Patrol Craft Papa-51
(neat name) is seen with the US Carrier John F. Kennedy
during a recent visit to Valleta.

ie Malta with its AFM is a small but valued ally of the US.
Certainly not to be the subject of the misplaced humor
implied in the post above

Here is the original photo: A Maltese Patrol Boat River (PBR)

All in humor generated by the AFM Maritime Squadron sailors

The Malta Swifts have had their trials and tribulations also.
Here is one of their boats in the aftermath of the detonation
of explosives that were being carried to sea to be disposed
of. Believe it or not, this boat survived (altho some of the
crewmen did not) and was restored to active duty where it
remains to this day.

............. TOUGH LITTLE BOATS!! ...............

Last edited by rbshirley on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
crockspot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

Seriously though What is CU?

www.conservativeunderground.com
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with I B SQUIDLY who wrote. . . . .
Quote:
I gotta say that Iowa class battlewagons are terribly over-engineered for delivering cruisemissles

But, one of those battlewagons steaming within a few hundred yards of the Lebanese shoreline would be an impressive sight in support of those protesting against Syria.

Nalt
Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerald L. Parsoneault wrote:
Have to agree with I B SQUIDLY who wrote. . . . .
Quote:
I gotta say that Iowa class battlewagons are terribly over-engineered for delivering cruisemissles

But, one of those battlewagons steaming within a few hundred yards of the Lebanese shoreline would be an impressive sight in support of those protesting against Syria.

Nalt

As I recall, back in the 80's, the USS New Jersery stuck some fear into terrorists and Syrians in the Bekka Valley when she loosed some 16" shells in their direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: