SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drudge Report, Terri Schiavo May Be Saved in 11th Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more one learns about this case, the more any truly impartial
person would have to conclude that, at the very least, Terri should
be "allowed" to live until ALL of this evidence can have a fair hearing
before another judge. Contrary to Michael Shiavo's statements this
morning, Congress has not only the right, but the obligation, to step
in if the rights of a US citizen are being trampled on as Terri's are.

I am overhelmed with admiration for the strength and persistence of
her wonderful parents to have fought for so many years against such
an intractable and evil opponent. My thoughts and prayers are with
them and the rest of her family.

I think if Terri dies and the truth about her case does emerge, the
American people will be horrified at what they sat back and allowed
to happen. Many people are putting themselves in her place and
saying that, if it were them, they would not want to live like that.
Remember, that is what Christopher Reeve thought right after his
accident. His attitude soon changed and he was able to live a
productive life afterward.

The point is that it would be a travesty of justice for Michael to get
away with trying to murder his wife for what in all likelihood is the
second time. It is up to all of us to contact our Representatives and
Senators to let them know that the polls the MSM is quoting do not
reflect the beliefs of their constituents!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
From: http://hyscience.typepad.com/hyscience/2005/02/michael_schiavo_1.html
Quote:
About a year and a half ago, I worked two 40 hour wknds(!) up all night in the offices of the (former) lawyer for Terri's parents. I was able to read most of the files on the case. I was there when two former nurses phoned (separately and entirely of their own volition)and asked to come in and give an affidavit about what they knew.

http://www.cnsnews.com/Culture/Archive/200309/CUL20030903b.html

The above link contains links to the affidavits signed by three of Terri Schiavo's caregivers. Not for the faint of heart.

I printed them all and I'm mailing them to my Senators and Congresswoman - there is FAR more to this case than the near mantra of "Persistent Vegetative State" that we're hearing in the press.

Please God... somebody stop these monsters!
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclusive

ATTORNEY’S LAST VISIT WITH TERRI SCHIAVO

© The Empire Journal

On Friday, March 18, less than an hour after Sixth Circuit Court Judge George W. Greer defied subpoenas issued by a Congressional committee for Terri Schindler-Schiavo to appear as a federal witness in a Congressional investigation, attorneys for Terri’s parents, Mary and Bob Schindler, visited Terri to tell her that the death order was going to be executed and that she would die.

Read the rest at http://www.theempirejournal.com/0319052_attorneys_last_visit_wit.htm

SBD
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&e=1&u=/ap/20050319/ap_on_go_co/brain_damaged_woman_congress&si

Quote:
Congress Announces Deal in Schiavo Case

Sat Mar 19, 6:52 PM ET Politics - U. S. Congress

By SIOBHAN McDONOUGH, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Congressional leaders hoped a deal reached Saturday would clear the way for a brain-damaged woman to resume being fed while a federal court reviews the right-to-die battle between her parents and her husband.

"We think we have found a solution" to the Terri Schiavo case, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, said at a Capitol Hill news conference.

"I'm pleased to announce that House and Senate Republican leadership have reached an agreement on a legislative solution," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee said a few hours later at the start of a brief Senate session.

"Under the legislation we will soon consider Terry Schiavo will have another chance," said Frist.

"We are confident this compromise addresses everyone's concerns, we are confident it will provide Mrs. Schiavo a clear and appropriate avenue for appeal in federal court, and most importantly, we are confident this compromise will restore nutrition and hydration to Mrs. Schiavo as long as that appeal endures," DeLay said.

House approval was hoped for Sunday when the House planned to meet in a special session, he said.

The Senate session Saturday evening was convened to formally give necessary permission for the House to meet Sunday, when it otherwise would be in recess under a previously passed Easter recess resolution.

The plan is for the House to act on the two-page bill Sunday, or just after midnight Monday morning if someone objects to the bill being taken up on an expedited basis Sunday.

Frist said the Senate then would act on the House legislation later Monday, assuming it passes the House as envisioned, and rush the bill to the president for signature into law.

President Bush was expected to sign the bill as soon as it gets to him.

A White House spokesman, Jeanie Mamo, said the president, who was at his Texas ranch "was supportive of the efforts by congressional leaders. We remain in contact with Congress and the president is being kept apprised."

The compromise was similar to a Senate bill passed Thursday that would let a federal court review the state judge's decision in the Schiavo case. House Republicans had favored broader legislation that applied similar cases that questioned the legality of withholding food or medical treatment from people who are incapacitated.

Schiavo's feeding tube was disconnected Friday afternoon. Schiavo, 41, could linger for one to two weeks if no one intercedes and gets the tube reinserted.

GOP Rep. James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee (news - web sites), said the measure was "narrowly targeted" and did not set a precedent.

For a decade, a feud has raged between Schiavo's husband, Michael, and her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, who have tried to oust Michael Schiavo as their daughter's guardian and keep in place the tube that has kept her alive for more than 15 years.

Michael Schiavo says his wife told him she would not want to be kept alive artificially. Her parents dispute that, saying she could get better and that their daughter has laughed, cried, smiled and responded to their voices.

On Friday, Republicans used their subpoena power to demand that Schiavo be brought before a congressional hearing, with lawmakers saying that removing the tube amounted to "barbarism."

The Florida judge presiding over the case rejected the request from House lawyers to delay the tube's removal. Late Friday, the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites), without comment, denied an emergency request from the House committee that issued the subpoenas to reinsert Schiavo's feeding tube while the committee filed appeals in the lower courts to have its subpoenas recognized.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Bush Returning To Washington Over Schiavo

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20050320/ap_on_go_pr_wh/brain_damaged_woman_bush
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
President Bush Returning To Washington Over Schiavo

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20050320/ap_on_go_pr_wh/brain_damaged_woman_bush

Thank you God, for him.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this bill fails to have the feeding tube rainstated,
I expect GW will issue a very contraversial Executive Order before
the end of the week. And rightly so!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't contacted your Congressmen yet, now is the time. Congressman Earl Blumenaur, Democrat, Oregon, is leading a fight to block this bill, fearing it may undermine Oregons own Kill Granny Bill, masked as Assisted Suicide. Rolling Eyes

He only needs a one third vote to block it and allow Terri's death to go unimpeded.
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to send an e-mail to every Florida Senator that voted against saving Terri, telling them I am ashamed of them. The State has been again, made a laughing stock due to the court system and a gutless Florida Senate.

The Terri case is not a normal case. It has gone on for years and even before the latest issues, I've heard enough about it to suspect the "husband" as the cause of her illness. But, despite health care workers trying to alert the authorities, doctors saying that she can be helped, the court system of that county has refused to do the right thing.

What is most disgusting is how the appeals courts have not done their job. The judge should have been recused after it was clear he made many errors. He single handedly has not allowed evidence to be entered into the record such as the statements by the health care workers of abuse and neglect.

Although Terri is severely brain damaged, she understands and responds to speech directions. This is what has been downplayed by the media. They are repeating the lies of the judge, the Hemlock Society lawyer and the lying "husband." The biggest lie is that it is a right to die case. Not even close although the "doctor" and I use the term loosely and his kill the infirmed backers have managed to lobby successfully to have food/water listed as a medical treatment. Now what a farce is that?

I am astounded that people who want to save Terri and see justice done are being portrayed as the bad guys.

I have been thinking of this situation and reading the posts of the pro-starve a handicapped woman to death people. It really shows how the holocaust happened.

As they say those that are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it. Most people don't know that the third reich started out by killing the infirmed and the insane because they had no quality of life. This was ok with the type of people that are pro-starve Terri. After all who would want to live like that. However, if you think about it, the fact those people were alive meant that THEY wanted to live like that; just like Terri. She goes to sleep and wakes up every day. Then of course, after the authorities got away will killing the infirmed, handicapped and mentally ill, they decided to expand the definition of quality of life. Eventually, those that didn't deserve to live included gypsies, poles, checs slavs, russians etc. and of course the jewish people.

It all started when little by little, the people let a small group of individuals, people much like Felos, Cranford and Greer, determine whether someone has a quality of life or not.

Anyone, and I mean anyone who could in good conscious, starve a living being to death, any living being, are evil. Simple as that.

And you don't have to belong to a religion to know that.

I hope that the people who have promoted starving a handicapped woman get the justice they deserve. Losing their elections or in the case of the "husband" going to jail for spending the rehabilitation money on himself and his lawyer.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case of Terri Schiavo is tragic indeed, and when all this publicity began, I felt that I wanted to read more about the early trials and the evidence in her case that got us where we are. I realize that, in this case, I may be one of the few persons on this Forum that believes she should be let go--especially when I read the part that is in bold. This posting on Free Republic by Hildy, who appears to be a law student, attempts to look at it in an objective way. Please check it out: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1351061/posts

Quote:
This is a very tough situation for all involved -- and mind you I'm not at all involved. I just discuss the case as part of what seems to be my running commentary on Florida law.

I appreciate that you wish to understand more. Ultimately, Terri's case is understandable, though painfully so. If you take away the "evil" allegations that have been leveled against everyone, it's easy to see what you're left with.

You're left with a woman who suffered a heart attack 15 years ago, who essentially died but was resuscitated, though not entirely. Her brain had suffered enormous damage from the heart attack. As time passed, her brain further deteriorated -- to the point where much if not most of her cerebral cortex (the portion of the brain that controls conscious thought, among other things) was literally gone, replaced by spinal fluid. Doctors hired by Terri's husband say the deterioration of Terri's brain left her without thoughts or feelings, that the damage is irreversible, and that Terri's life-like appearance is merely the result of brain stem activity -- basically involuntary reflexes we all have. An independent doctor hired by the court reached the same conclusions. Doctors hired by Terri's parents did not dispute the physical damage done to Terri, but they claim there are new therapies that could improve her condition. In two separate trials, the trial court found such claims of potential improvement to be without merit. Terri's body continues to function without her cerebral cortex. She is sustained by a feeding tube surgically inserted into her stomach. She cannot eat through her mouth without a strong likelihood of choking to death.

You're left with a husband who lived with his in-laws following Terri's heart attack, who apparently provided care and therapy for years but who later came to believe Terri would never recover. He believes she would not have wanted to be kept alive in this brain-degenerated condition by a surgically implanted tube. He is apparently willing to continue his fight to achieve what he believes Terri would want despite ridicule, hatred, expense, and threats.

You're left with parents who were once allied with Terri's husband in an effort to care for Terri and restore her but, unlike Terri's husband, they never lost hope. They believe Terri reacts to them and has conscious thoughts. They believe Terri would not want, and does not want, her feeding tube removed, and that some cognitive function could be restored through new therapies. Terri's parents are willing to continue their fight to achieve what they believe Terri would want despite ridicule, hatred, expense, and threats.

You're left with judges who have been placed in the utterly thankless position of applying Florida law to this impassioned situation. Florida law calls for the trial court to determine what Terri would chose to do in this situation, and after a trial hard fought by Terri's husband and her family, where each side was given the opportunity to present its best case about what Terri would do, the court determined the evidence was clear and convincing that Terri would chose not to continue living by the affirmative intervention of modern medicine -- that she would chose to have her feeding tube disconnected. In a second trial, brought about by Terri's family's claims new therapies could restore her and that the existence of such a therapy would make her "change her mind," the trial court again heard evidence from all sides and determined that no new therapy presented any reasonable chance of restoring Terri's brain function. The propriety of these decisions -- from the sufficiency of the evidence to the appropriateness of the procedures used -- has been unanimously upheld on appeal each time.

You're left with a public that is much confused. Some see video clips of Terri moving, appearing to make eye contact, and making sounds, and they assume such are the product of conscious thought -- that Terri's "in there." Some believe Terri's husband has been motivated by money. Some believe that no heart attack occurred -- instead, Terri's husband beat her nearly to death and has been trying to end her life ever since. Some believe he is a bad person because he has taken up with another woman and has children with her. Some believe Florida's judiciary is corrupt or inept, to the point where death threats have been made against the trial judge. Some are sad that families would fight like this. Some believe that removing Terri's feeding tube would cause her pain and is inhumane (I'm no doctor, but the medical information I've seen on this subject uniformly says the opposite.) Some are disappointed that the law does not allow someone in Terri's condition to be kept alive perpetually if a family member is willing to care for him or her. Some believe no life should be permitted to reach an unnecessary end unless irrefutable proof, or at least written proof, shows the person wanted things that way.

All of these positions are understandable in some sense, though if you've read my posts over the years you know I am particularly sensitive to the judiciary's position of following the law correctly and yet being so horrifically misunderstood by many.

Is there hope? Well, if you mean hope to keep Terri alive any longer, there is some. Terri's family continues to launch new legal battles, and to appeal old ones, in hopes a court somewhere will give them another chance to prove Terri would not want to discontinue her feeding tube, or in hopes they can win the authority to care for Terri themselves. There is a new legislative measure under consideration that could prove to be a repeat of 2003's "Terri's Law." How long can these efforts forestall the tube's removal? Can they stop it altogether? I can't say. But I don't think anyone with knowledge of how the legal system works would have foreseen several years ago that Terri would be with us in 2005, yet here she is.

I continue to hope that when this saga ends it will be the ending that Terri would have wanted.

Navy Wife
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Another kicker Reply with quote

And, while the Nazis who think they're in charge of Terri's future down there in Florida, try to kill her, the b*st**d child molester/killer (also in Florida) is on a suicide watch! He CONFESSED! Who cares? Maybe if Terri could "confess" they wouldn't starve her to death anymore.

Key word is: Florida............stay far, far away from that state. Too close to Cuba, I guess. Makes me wonder where Judge Adolph Greer and attorney George Felon were born. They don't act like Americans. They act like infiltrators.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOTING ON BILL IS TODAY!

LINKS TO E-MAIL ALL SENATORS:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is why her husband has been allowed to do this for this long....
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Hitler Reply with quote

And not much unlike Hitler and the Nazis.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife, tell Hildy to read this.

Dr. Hammesfahr was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Medicine and Physiology in 1999. He spent approximately 14 hours examining Terri as recently as Sept. 2002, a thorough examination
and RECOMMENDED many tests. To my knowledge none of his recommended tests were performed.

Quote:
Dr. William Hammesfahr is an internationally recognized expert on cases of brain-injured patients. He has been identified in helping patients with chronic brain injuries from many causes actually leave long term disability, and return to work.

Terri Schiavo's injury, hypoxic encephalopathy, is a type of stroke that he treats every day with success.

"We, and others I know, have treated many patients worse than Terri and have seen them regain independence and dignity," Hammesfahr said.

"There are many approaches that would help Terri Schiavo," Dr. Hammesfahr explained. "I know, because I had the opportunity to personally examine her, her medical records, and her X-rays."

In 2002, the Court requested that he examine Terri to update her condition. His sworn affidavit follows:

http://www.apfn.org/Schiavo/Hammesfahrexam.htm

Excerpt:
Quote:
The patient is not in coma.

She is alert and responsive to her environment. She responds to specific

people best. She tries to please others by doing activities for which she gets verbal

praise. She responds negatively to poor tone of voice. She responds to music.

She differentiates sounds from voices.

She differentiates specific people's voices from others.

She differentiates music from stray sound.

She attempts to verbalize.

She has voluntary control over multiple extremities

She can swallow.

She is partially blind

She is probably aphasic and has a degree of receptive aphasia.

She can feel pain.

On this last point, it is interesting to observe that the records from Hospice

show frequent medication administered for pain by staff.

Quote:
EEG: I have reviewed the EEG recently obtained. The EEG has large

amounts of artifact. The technician's attempted to remove artifact by filtering.

Unfortunately, filtering also affects and reduces evident brain electronic activity.

This EEG is not adequate and should be repeated. It should be repeated at the

patient's bedside, with the patient in a non-agitated state.

Are other medical 'opinions' based on a faulty EEG. The court should
order a new EEG by a Competent technician to determine brain
wave activity and an MRI to determine brain condition.
Why hasn't she had the tests and therapy recommended. Doctor Hammesfahr states she is
capable of talking,WITH speech therapy.
If she could speak, she could communicate her OWN decision to
live or die.
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE EXAMINATION by Dr. Hammesfahr,
an internationally recognized expert on brain injury!!
IT IS VERY COMPELLING!! Step by step analysis of what can be done for her.
I believe some effort should be made to RESTORE Terri before
sentencing her to death.
http://www.apfn.org/Schiavo/Hammesfahrexam.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: