SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush: 'I Didn't Realize How Moved I Would Be'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Bush: 'I Didn't Realize How Moved I Would Be' Reply with quote

When my sister and I watched President Bush kneeling and looking
at the Pope, we noted the look on his face.
So long and intent, we commented that it seemed a
SPIRITUAL COMMUNICATION was going on.
Pope JPII-The Vicar Of Christ, and President Bush- a Faithful Servant of the Lord.
Quote:
Bush: 'I Didn't Realize How Moved I Would Be By The Service'

By James Gerstenzang, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — On his knees in St. Peter's Basilica, the body of Pope John Paul II just yards from his face, President Bush said two days later that he had been "in touch with a spirit."

Offering a rare, reflective self-portrait as he began the long flight from Rome to his Texas ranch after the pope's funeral, Bush said today that as moved as he was by the ceremony in the grand piazza in front of the basilica, by "the sights and sounds and majesty and colors," he felt more spectator than participant.

In a 47-minute conversation, a transcript of which was made public by the White House, the president presented a highly personal discussion of faith and the impact that religion — and the pope and the funeral — have had on him.

Aboard Air Force One, Bush abandoned the dark business suit and somber tie he had worn to the Vatican. Dressed in nylon sweatpants and a Navy warm-up jacket, according to a report from the journalists on board, Bush was clearly moved by the day: "The final scene of the plain-looking casket — one of three, by the way; lead, wood and wood — being carried and held up for the seal to be seen, and then the sun pouring out.

"This will be," he said, "one of the highlights of my presidency, to have been at this great ceremony.

"I knew the ceremony today would be majestic, but I didn't realize how moved I would be by the service itself; by the beautiful music," he said, marveling at the clarity of the sound — the music and the words in multiple languages — that crossed St. Peter's Square.

And about the homily by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Bush said: "Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautifully done."

The president, who held 17 full-dress press conferences at the White House during his first term, rarely speaks with reporters aboard Air Force One. Since he was reelected, he has been holding news conferences roughly once a month. The session Friday in the airborne presidential conference room suggested that he is increasingly at ease fielding reporters' questions.

The topics jumped from the events at the Vatican to the pope's legacy; from democracy in the Middle East to Bush's dinner Thursday with Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and Italy's support for the war in Iraq.

The president was also asked about complaints by House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) that the judiciary has "run amok." Bush did not respond directly, but expressed support for an independent judiciary.

Bush is meeting Monday at his ranch with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, and offered renewed, certain and pointed language intended to hold Sharon to the peace plan, known as the "road map," and its opposition to further Israeli settlement in the West Bank.

Previewing the meeting, Bush said: "What I say publicly, I say privately. And that is the road map has clear obligations on settlements, and that we expect the prime minister to adhere to those road map obligations."

Bush was accompanied to Rome by his father and former President Bill Clinton.

"It's fun. Oh, it's great," he said of the three-day, three-president road trip. "We share war stories, you know, a lot of talking, a lot of interesting experiences about different world leaders that we may all have met."

But the talk aboard Air Force One on Friday kept returning to John Paul II.

The president said the pontiff would have "a clear legacy of peace, compassion, and a strong legacy of settling a clear moral tone."

Minutes later, seemingly troubled that he had not expressed the thought just as he wanted, the president, amended his comment: "A clear and excellent legacy, if you don't mind adding the word 'excellent,'" he said. "I wanted to make sure there was a proper adjective to the legacy I thought he left behind. It was more than just 'clear.'"

The president noted the crowds clamoring for a declaration of sainthood for the pope, and repeated their Italian chant — "subito," or "right away."

The day led Bush, he said, to reflect on his religious beliefs.

Asked whether he had ever had any doubts about his own faith, he said: "I think a walk in faith constantly confronts doubt, as faith becomes more mature. And you constantly confront, you know, questions. My faith is strong."

As he did in his discussion of the pope's legacy, he sought later to make certain he had been understood, stating, "There is no doubt in my mind there is a living God. And no doubt in my mind that the Lord, Christ, was sent by the Almighty. No doubt in my mind about that."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-na-bush9apr09,0,7802565.story?coll=la-home-headlines
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)

Last edited by shawa on Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint Dubya
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have searched for a close-up photo of the President's face as he knelt
by the Pope's body. No luck so far. It is indelibly imprinted in my memory.
Can anybody find it??
I would like to show it to my children and grandchildren.
I would be eternally grateful to get that picture, words just can't explain it.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050406/capt.pool10404062131.vatican_pope_bush_pool104.jpg
couldn't find the close up either shawa, however someone could crop/blowup from this one. I tried it with my measly skills, although the clarity isnt great.

O/T, did find this that you may enjoy shawa
MyHeroesHaveAlwaysBeenCowboys
this site is up/down due to bandwidth and will be moving, hope the link works
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly historical image of three US Presidents on their knees in prayer for a Polish Priest from Krakow.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate
Quote:
O/T, did find this that you may enjoy shawa
MyHeroesHaveAlwaysBeenCowboys
this site is up/down due to bandwidth and will be moving, hope the link works

Thanks soooo much, Kate!!!!!!
That video is just PRICELESS!!!
Warmed my heart for the rest of the day.

tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAWA:
Quote:
When my sister and I watched President Bush kneeling and looking
at the Pope, we noted the look on his face.
So long and intent, we commented that it seemed a
SPIRITUAL COMMUNICATION was going on.

When you walk into the St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican you get shivers up your spine that you can't get anywhere else on this planet, except maybe Jerusalem.
Even non Catholics that visited it told me they never seen anything like it,
and they said they had a feeling they never felt before.
Is it just the shock and awe of the size and beauty of the Church?
Or is it the Holy Spirit giving you a sign?
I'm just a mere mortal so I can't honestly answer that, but by the look on GW's face, I think he had the same eerie feeling.
There was an old wives tale as I was growing up in Italy that said when the Holy Spirit descends upon us it comes in the form of a gust of wind!
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050406/i/r2094081087.jpg
although not the kneeling one, nice close up, the intense look on his face
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one Shawa Smile

http://www.startribune.com/images/17/

Scroll to, "Presidents pay their respects"
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanya: this is a memorable shot, thanks for the link.
I'm going to print it and put it in my office.

Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony54 wrote:
Tanya: this is a memorable shot, thanks for the link.
I'm going to print it and put it in my office.

I saw that live on TV - it was a very moving moment for me. To me it showed the human side of power - to show great respect.
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf and tony54 it is a memorable shot. I know how bad Shawa wanted that and I have to say it took quite awhile to find. I printed it and tomorrow I will get a frame. A picture does say a thousand words. My prayers are for you all here in this forum, I thank God for you all. You have helped me more than you know. Thank you!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Tanya for your effort!!

That photo is truly a keepsake!!

You folks on this forum are truly wonderful.

Love you all!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: