SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting out of a Blue State...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting out of a Blue State... Reply with quote

gmez2001 wrote:
lthrneck wrote:
Well as I write this we have moving boxes all around the house. After 30 yrs in LA I've seen this place go from a nice town to a poster child for what the liberals see as a great place to live. The area is overrun by illegal aliens. Traffic is a nightmare, the educators teach their own flavor of history and the politically correct crowd rules the day. Taxes continue to rise, gas (because of something they add to the fuel) is close to $2.50 a gallon, emergency wards are pretty much out of bussiness because the illegals use it for free health care. The quality of life pretty much is in the sh*tter. I've got 3 more weeks to do and I've put my 30 yrs in and have a nice retirement. (City of LA). Moving to NE of Atlanta, not in the boonies but close, (at least when I chew tobacco now I'll have company). Wink

Smart move Leather and if your in Kentucky look me up for a chew or two. As a native Californian I've seen the state go to hell over the last 35 yrs. There are still some conservative and growing areas in the north and central California,i.e.; Grass Valley,Sacramento,Eureka but these will be fully appreciated soon.
As a 25 year real estate investor the baby boooooooooomers will blooooooow this wide open in the next few years. It's already started and over the next 15 years there will be mass movement out of these fully appreciated states in the west and north east corridor. I spoke with one of my R.E. developer friends yesterday and he cannot find enough land to build patio homes fast enough here in Kentucky.
Growth rate here is a paltry .5-2% go figure. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Hey,if you don't mind having a chew with a swab jockey I'll buy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

More:
Look for the leftist politicians in Washington to respond to the egalitarian element in our society with eliminating our mortgage interest tax writeoffs. This is one of the few preferential tax breaks(help housing sector)left for the average guy in our society.
This movement has been around for some time now in DC with the fully appreciated areas the most vulnerable to deflation and price volatility.
xsquid
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't regret it. We moved from Socal, San Diego to be exact, to Arkansas in 93 and I will never move back. The daughter and grandkids are still there (working on her all the time) so we visit, but the quality of life is much better here. It did take a while to get used to the differences and the wife almost didn't make it but getting past the initial "culture shock" we will never go back. When I go back to visit I feel like I'm constantly crammed together with other people, the freeways, stores, parking lots, everything is crowded. People here let you get into traffic and when you let them wave thanks. I didn't even get to the extreme californial politics because you already know that. So far moving from a blue state to a red one has been the best thing I ever did.

lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm lucky, wife wants to get out. Even my 15 yr old son is fed up with liberal crap the teachers seem to focus on rather than education and he wants to get out of here also.
Calfiornia's population for the first time in it's history is having more people leave then move here, except the population is still growing. All illegals of course, we will eventually loose this state to Mexico without a shot being fired. LA is about to elect a very liberal Mexican as Mayor, Northern Calif. seems to welcome the illegals so it's just a matter of time. I'm really looking forward to getting out of here.
(Last one out please bring the flag).
(last day of work is tomorrow, I'm on the road end of the month and I'll chat with you guys when I get to Georgia).

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God keep you safe and protected on your journey. Enjoy your trip and the adventure of a new "duty station." Smile

I'm California born and raised, but I wouldn't go back there on a bet. Wink

Bless you!
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your move! We were stationed in GA for 4 years and we liked it. But that was many, many years ago...LOL

I am envious. Wish we could move out of our blue state. Once kids graduate that is our goal! To be around people who actually have the same ideals we do...the same sense of right and wrong!

Drive safely.
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Theresa. I'm counting down (2 days), only hang up now is the car shipper. I've got a cherry 68 Vette and I was going to tow it then someone enlightened me about the weather (hail, sand storms) etc and so I arranged for it to be shipped in a closed carrier. So it's me and the dog, wife and kids are flying.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Hey Everyone Reply with quote

Haven't been on the board in a while due to my having moved home to Texas. Yay! No more Washingston State, yippee! lthrneck? You make it to Georgia yet? Or did I-10 through Loiuisiana beat the heck out of your butts driving it? lol
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyyaall
Yup, I f'n love it here. Gotta get use to this Southern pace though even the bugs move slower. Wink
I-10 through Texas I thought would never end, that is one giant state. I ended up shipping my garage queen (68 vette), I was gonna tow it but after thinking about it for $500 more $$ it went in a closed trailor with a bunch of other garage queens.
We've moved into a new house, man what one can get for the money here compared to Calif. is unbeliveable. My 15 yr old got picked up on Jr. Thrashers after 1st tryout so that was good, I've got all his college money invested in hockey so if he don't get a scholarship he's in trouble. I'll have to have him enlist in the Navy hehe. Anyways I'll chat with you guys a bit more towards the end of the week, we are up to our a## in boxes and stuff.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: