SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CARDINAL EGAN'S GOOD SENSE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: CARDINAL EGAN'S GOOD SENSE Reply with quote

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/editorial/42746.htm

Quote:
April 17, 2005 --

As the Vatican continued the official nine days of mourning for Pope John Paul II, it was hard not to wonder what leaders were thinking last week when Bernard Cardinal Law was allowed to lead a requiem Mass.

Cardinal Law — once one of the most powerful of the American princes of the church — resigned from the Boston archdiocese in disgrace over his role in hushing up multiple cases of priestly sexual abuse of young boys.

Over the years, Law covered up several cases of priestly abuse — including that of the notorious Rev. Paul Shanley. The financial settlements — upwards of $85 million — left the diocese near bankruptcy.

A year ago, the Vatican transferred Law to Rome. Last week, he was allowed to lead a memorial Mass.

But why? He stands as a very public reminder of the largest stain on the legacy of John Paul II — the church's inability to address the abuse issue in a timely and forthright manner.

The Los Angeles Times reported the noticeable absence of six of the seven U.S.-based cardinal electors during the Mass. It said that three of the seven — including New York's own Edward Cardinal Egan — stayed away specifically because of Law's presence.

Of course, after that story broke, the New York archdiocese's spokesman insisted there was a scheduling problem preventing Egan from attending the service. The other cardinals also cited "scheduling" conflicts and said nothing should be read into their non-attendance.

Make of that what you will.

We just note that the Vatican did itself no favors by allowing Cardinal Law to assume such prominence.

Conversely, the American cardinals did well to distance themselves from their erstwhile colleague.

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Cardinal Law is confessed, absolved and in full Communion with the Church?

If he has been penitent and come back to the Church's teachings, why should he not be restored to the duties of his office?

Apparently the Pope had nothing but forgiveness and acceptance for the Cardinal. As his confessor, I would think that he knew better than any of us what was in the Cardinal's heart.

Whatever civil or criminal procedings and punishments might be levied against this man have no relevancy to his position in the Church if he is again in full Communion.

Funny how these same newspapers would never presume to even hint at telling the Imams how to get their radical factions under control.

But, the Catholic church is fair game.

Hmmmm.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, EJ!!
The MSM and LIBERAL Catholics take every opportunity to bash the Church!
Forgiveness is a fundamental teaching of the Catholic Church.
Perhaps, that is the reason the Vatican had Cardinal Law say the Mass.
Note that part of the Latin Mass, Law cries out, "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa"
(through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault).

Who are we (sinners all) to question GOD'S forgiveness of others??
HE requires us to confess and repent, and come unto Him.
I certainly count on His all-encompassing forgiveness for my many
transgressions in life.

IMO, the U.S. Cardinals who did not attend Law's Mass were looking at the
political ramifications for themselves, rather than the opportunity to
demonstrate God's love and forgiveness for ALL of our sins.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, shawa, I could not have said that so well in a hundred years. I don't know what was in the other other Cardinals' hearts, but I pray that it was only mercy; mercy being one of the first duties of Catholics, as I understand it.

I've not even been a Christian for the last 12 years of my life, but I think I'm just up to the gag reflex with the completely unreasonable and ridiculous double-standards imposed upon Christianity (the Catholic Church in particular) vs. the acceptance and even promotion freely given to other religions. (including mine)

The Pope wasn't even cold before the bashing of the Church's "rigidity" and conjectures about the possibility of the liberalization of the Church began. Confused

And just how hypocritical must someone be that they nearly slobber in appreciation for the Pope's disagreement with our President regarding the war in Iraq on one hand and yet criticize his "inflexibile" leadership with regard to his agreement with our President in matters such as the promotion of freedom, opposing communism, the notion of "just wars" and (most important, maybe?) the value of human life?

If these media people are so connected to spiritual matters, I suggest they start offering counsel and their oh-so-helpful political criticism to Muslims, Jews and Pagans in equal doses.

Oh, man.... that'd go over big, hm? Rolling Eyes

DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawa and EJ,

Good points. I hadn't considered that aspect (forgiveness by Pope John Paul II) in the issue over Law's public appearance. I guess I'm too critical.

I'm not a catholic but I really respected John Paul II. I hope your church can find somebody as wise to lead the church in the future. The late Pope showed us that the catholic church has a definite role to play in setting the world's moral standards.

I don't agree with that church or the idea of a "pope", but hey, maybe I could be wrong. If nothing else, Pope John Paul II shared the basic moral tenets of us right-wing protestants.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Catholic, either, but I always admired Giovannes Paulus II and I mourned his loss even as I felt certain that he stepped from this world into the arms of Mother Mary and Jesus, whom he served faithfully for nearly all of his life.

I don't think you have to be Christian to recognize someone who is a light of good in the world, even if you don't always agree with what s/he says or does. Smile

I am happy to see that the new Pope appears to be one who will be one to help return the Church to the rock that it has been at its heart since its inception. A "doctrinal Rottweiler" as he's been called - both affectionately and deprecatingly. His willingness to see a Church more faithful to its doctrines even if that results in a smaller church is a very good sign, in itself.

This is an institution which traces its heirarchy of leadership all the way back to the original apostles... for me, one of the main sources of its appeal is its constancy and solidity.

Do we honestly believe that we are the only generation who has seen such a time of tribulation and triumps? And will it give us a spiritual rock if the church changes to meet the demands of a minority or even a majority in the church? A change is the same as saying, "Hey, we got it wrong before, but we're right, now." How could we ever know that there wasn't a another major change of doctrine right around the corner? How could we believe that it is the one true church? It is what it is! Smile

And it's making the left-stream media crazy. Very Happy (We need a little happy-dance icon, here. Wink )

My very best wishes for Benedict XVI!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Cardinal Law is concerned: 1 Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

If he has atoned or been given forgiveness, is it up to any of us to continue condemnation? He committed very serious transgressions but as the above scripture shows, nearly anything can be washed away.

I have no idea if he paid pentance or was just promoted. I'm not even Catholic either. But still feel it's best left in the hands of the Vatican.

In the end, only God decides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: