SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting Your Guts Out While Alive--Must Listen!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Cutting Your Guts Out While Alive--Must Listen!! Reply with quote

We have Donna Shallala and Bill Clinton to thank for this!

Unbelievable.

The federal edicts that were passed under Donna Shallala and Bill Clinton went totally under the radar.

Did you know that under that federal law that if you are deemed to be "near death", the hospital is required to send your medical records to an organ harvesting center who then takes the decisionmaking out of the hands of your doctor and the decisionmaking regarding your treatment is then put in the hands of organ harvesting center.

Listen to the entire internet stream. About 30 minutes in, Dr. Bryne talks about the federal laws regarding this.

There is much too much for me to type now.

Must listen!

http://www.thedavidallenshow.com/medialibrary/interviews/20050420.byrne.paul.mp3

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audio is from.....
Interviews on The David Allen Show
April 20, 2005 Topic: The race to declare people "dead"

Dr Byrne advises against living wills ...couple points
Quote:
--you need current information to make a decision
--living will makes a decision about something some time in the future, without current information
He talks about living wills in the beginning of the interview.

Here's another link at that site with comments by Dr Byrne
Why”Living Wills” Aren’t
Before You Sign...On the Dotted Line
by Paul A. Byrne, M.D.

The interview then goes into the issue of organ tranplants, which is generally true in practice. He also cites some worst-case scenarios - no idea how often they occur.
here's a link on the site to an article
"Dead" redefined to facilitate organ transplants

Understanding brain death criteria
By Paul A. Byrne, M.D.

Dr Byrnes's comments are something to think about, re the rush to get living wills lately... some links....
National Right to Life
http://www.nrlc.org/euthanasia/willtolive/wtlcasepoints.html

What You Need to Know About Living Wills
http://www.healthy.net/scr/news.asp?Id=7544
Quote:
Q: Will a living will guarantee that my wishes are followed?
A: Maybe, maybe not. The specifics of your condition, the available technology and large and small decisions made along the way typically affect your medical prognosis and appropriate treatment.
However, patients nearing death often draft a detailed written "advance directive" spelling out treatment. Someone with terminal cancer, for instance, may request chemotherapy but reject a respirator.
Health care professionals also may not honor your wishes. A study of 117 doctors published in the Archives of Internal Medicine last July found that physicians didn't follow advance directives 65 percent of the time under hypothetical scenarios for seriously ill patients.

As an aside, I dont have a living will. Years ago when I brought up the subject to my daughter & her hubby, both health care professionals-- they voiced a very firm 'no'. Instead, I have a health care proxy (= durable power of attorney) and a power of attorney. The HC proxy worked to-the-letter for both my parents.

Interview is worth a listen! Play it while you're browsing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: