SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Group Sues Over Tiny Christian College's Funding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Group Sues Over Tiny Christian College's Funding Reply with quote

from Fox :
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154730,00.html

Quote:
Group Sues Over Christian College's Funding
Wednesday, April 27, 2005

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A group advocating the separation of church and state has sued the federal Education Department over funding for a tiny Christian college with a predominantly Alaska Native or American Indian student body.

Alaska Christian College in Soldotna has just 37 students, but has received more than $1 million in federal money in the past two years, according to the Freedom From Religion Foundation .

The college is affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church of Alaska.

"This is just promoting religion," Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Wisconsin-based foundation, said Tuesday. The group's lawsuit was filed Thursday in Wisconsin.

The group hopes to prevent the school from receiving $435,000 — an allotment inserted by Republican Rep. Don Young in a federal spending bill passed last November. He obtained $400,000 for the school the previous year.

Young did not immediately return a call for comment about the appropriations.

Alaska Sens. Ted Stevens and Lisa Murkowski also got the school $200,000 for a counseling center, according to the group.

College President Keith Hamilton said Tuesday the college, which offers a two-year degree, undergoes a rigorous process before receiving the money.

"Throughout this granting process ACC has acted with integrity and honesty and has spent the money in the manner that has been approved by the Department of Education," said a statement issued Tuesday by the college.

Hamilton said the college helps students make the transition from village life to larger schools; he said half of the students next year will be matriculating at Kenai Peninsula College.

Students also have had credits transferred to various other colleges and universities, including the University of Alaska Anchorage and the University of Alaska Fairbanks, he said.

Soldotna is a city of about 3,800 on the Kenai Peninsula, 150 miles south of Anchorage.
nccjones
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So please, someone help me out here because I'm confused. Does this mean, that if you go to a non-Christian college, the school can receive funding, but not a Christian school? Isn't that discriminatory?

I'm not sure how this works, but that's what it sounds like to me....

Laura
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the religeon of the Alaskan natives Christian anyway? It appears to me that this is who this is intended for. That lady in Wisconsin needs to leave her white picket fence and take a visit to see how these people live in that area.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these people must really live unhappy lives when all they have to do is this sort of thing for entertainment.

This has to be their reason as certainly the funding has no effect on their everday living, at least it it does not affect me in any way.

If it is the tax dollars they are worried about then I believe there are more and bigger targets out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: