SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actress says USA responsible for 9/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Actress says USA responsible for 9/11 Reply with quote

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/302977p-259389c.html

Yet another Hollywood twit.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why waste our time with this kind of drivel - not even worth discussing
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another anti-American idiot.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actress: 9/11 our fault

By MAGGIE HABERMAN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Maggie Gyllenhaal

Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal, star of a new flick about the aftermath of 9/11, believes the United States "is responsible in some way" for the devastating terror attacks.
Gyllenhaal, 27, made the comments at the Tribeca Film Festival, where her new movie "The Great New Wonderful" - which has a plot centered on the destruction of the World Trade Center - premiered Friday.

"I think what's good about the movie is that it deals with 9/11 in such a subtle, open way that I think it allows it to be more complicated than just, 'Oh, look at these poor New Yorkers and how hard it was for them,'" Gyllenhaal told the NY1 cable channel.

"Because I think America has done reprehensible things and is responsible in some way and so I think the delicacy with which it's dealt allows that to sort of creep in," she added.

A lower East Side native, Gyllenhaal's new film focuses on a handful of New Yorkers coping with their pain about a year after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror strike.

The 27-year-old vaulted to stardom after appearing in "Secretary" as a mousy assistant.

The film festival where Gyllenhaal spoke was launched by actor Robert De Niro in 2002 as a way to help scarred lower Manhattan rebound.

Originally published on April 24, 2005

Everyone - If you see fit, please forward this to everyone on your email list and beyond. This idiot needs to learn a lesson about insulting the country that supports her luxurious lifestyle. Hopefully she will see that the other 50% that used to go to a movie she was in without thinking twice will no longer do so. In this case, bad publicity of this kind should be the worst kind. Less 50% is a lot of money for a studio to lose, loser.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These brainless BOZOs aren't worth my time. Common Sense eludes them. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even heard of her.

Why should we care what some twit in La-La land thinks about ANYTHING? Confused

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are partly responsible though this mouth breather has it wrong.

For eight years WE became complacent and did not hold our political leader accountable for his actions. We allowed a presidency that lead by popular poll rather than what was right and yes, what wouldn't yield good press.

WE sat back in our silicon gold rush and didn't take action when the moral of our troops was being undermined.

WE came very close to maintaining our apathatic view of the world and it was only through what can best described as pure luck that we received a leader who shook us up and woke us up.

Yes, WE did have a hand in that awful tragedy by our own inaction.

Fortunately WE have received a second chance. For the past 5 years WE have had a leader that, regardless if you agree with him or not, is NOT complacent nor will make decisions simply based on popularity. During the reelection campaign last year WE learned that WE do have a voice and more importantly WE firmly resolved to hold our political candidates responsible for their actions both past and present.

WE seem to forget the great words of "BY THE PEOPLE" and "FOR THE PEOPLE" and unfortunately it takes something like Oklahoma and 9/11 to remind us that our government is OURS and it is OUR responsibility for its failings.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154679,00.html

Actress in Hot Water Over Sept. 11 Remarks
Wednesday, April 27, 2005

NEW YORK — Maggie Gyllenhaal has waded into sensitive political waters by raising questions about Sept. 11 and American foreign policy.

The 27-year-old actress, who stars in a new film called "The Great New Wonderful" about the 2001 terror attacks on the World Trade Center, said in an interview last week that the United States "is responsible in some way" for the attacks.

A fan Web site devoted to Gyllenhaal was overwhelmed with criticism, forcing the site's editor to remove the ability to post messages "because it's gotten too outta hand."

In a statement issued Monday by her publicist, Gyllenhaal said Sept. 11 was "an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict.

"Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9/11."

She also expressed her grief for "everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe."

"The Great New Wonderful" features stories about people living in New York in the aftermath of the terror attacks. The movie is being shown at the Tribeca Film Festival, which was founded by Robert De Niro (search) to help revitalize downtown Manhattan after Sept. 11.

Her screen credits also include "Secretary" (search), "Mona Lisa Smile" and "Donnie Darko." She is the older sister of actor Jake Gyllenhaal. She lives in Manhattan.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up Hollywood movies (and TV shows) years ago. It's a source
of pride that I can walk through the checkout line of any supermarket
in the country and be surrounded by all of these tabloids touting people
that I have not a clue as to who they are. OK World Weelky News has
found the Alien Bible and they worship Oprah. I got that much. The
War Department watchs Oprah and I don't get fed in the evening until
she's off. But that's not MY TV.

So if it's not Fox, History Channel, NASCAR, or violent Japanese anime,
I don't have a clue. They don't get my money either.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident anyone who posts on this board can take on Maggie Whatshername and four of her fellow Hollyweird twits simultaneously on Jeopardy! and beat the pants off of 'em! Laughing
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comment about she "vaulted to stardom" after some appearance in a film I never heard of.

I got turned off Hollywood too. They just keep rehashing the same garbage year after year and they wonder why movie attendence is down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: