SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NY City Vietnam Vets to March, Friday, May 6th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: NY City Vietnam Vets to March, Friday, May 6th Reply with quote

NYDailyNews
Heroic Viet vets plan major march
…Denis Hamill, May 4, 2005
Quote:
While others talked the cheap talk these are the guys who walked the real Vietnam walk.

And this Friday, as a new war rages in Iraq, the New Yorkers who served in Vietnam will march across the Brooklyn Bridge to commemorate the 20th anniversary of this city's Vietnam veterans "Welcome Home" ceremony.

The event will start at 10 a.m. at Cadman Plaza Park, with an 11 a.m. march across the Brooklyn Bridge to Vietnam Veterans Plaza at 55 Water St.

Remembrance ceremonies begin at noon with keynote speakers, followed by a POW/MIA wreath laying, and a reunion center.

Although I never served in the military, 20 years ago I tagged along as my brother John marched with his fellow Vietnam vets in that parade that took place 10 years after the fall of Saigon to commemorate the millions who served and the 58,000 Americans who died, 1,741 from New York City.

I'd crossed the Brooklyn Bridge thousands of times before, but I had never felt the thrill I experienced as those Vietnam vets marched across the storied span, many missing limbs, some in wheelchairs, others carting shrapnel, some destroyed by Agent Orange, most filled with ghastly memories that had forever altered their lives.

That day the Vietnam veterans of New York marched for themselves but mostly they marched for those who could not be there because they were now among the names of the dead on the newly erected New York City Vietnam memorial at which they would gather.

It was a day that made you proud to be an American in New York City.

more……..

for those in the greater NY area ....keep your eyes on that Bridge on Friday
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, anyone know how it went?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go Stevie Wink

Source NY1

Quote:
Manhattan
Veterans Mark 20th Anniversary Of New York Vietnam Memorial
May 06, 2005

Friday is the 20th anniversary of New York's Vietnam Memorial.

Veterans marched across the Brooklyn Bridge to Lower Manhattan this afternoon to remember those who fought in Southeast Asia, and also those who fought for 10 years afterward to build a memorial here in the city.

The vets say the memorial means as much today as it did all those years ago.

“The plaza, what it means to people of the newer generation, it's an education tool,” said march organizer Patrick Gualtieri. “When they walk here, they're able to see the map of Vietnam as we knew it back in the 60s. They're able to go read the letters on the wall behind me. Those are written by soldiers to family members, and actually family members writing back.”

A total of 1,741 New Yorkers lost their lives in the Vietnam War.

short video clip at link, after the march, at the Memorial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: