SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News Guild Prez: U.S. Troops Killing Reporters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: News Guild Prez: U.S. Troops Killing Reporters Reply with quote

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/5/19/70255.shtml

Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:01 a.m. EDT

"The president of a group representing reporters worldwide is accusing U.S. soldiers of committing atrocities without offering any evidence to back the charge up.

Appearing in St. Louis on Friday, Newspaper Guild President Linda Foley complained:

"What outrages me as a representative of journalists is that there’s not more outrage about the number, and the brutality, and the cavalier nature of the U.S. military toward the killing of journalists in Iraq."

In case anyone missed the point, Foley restated her allegation:

"They target and kill journalists ... uh, from other countries, particularly Arab countries like Al -, like Arab news services like Al-Jazeera, for example. They actually target them and blow up their studios with impunity. ..."

Foley's remarks, which were aired Wednesday night on Sinclair Broadcasting's "The Point," drew outrage from the program's host, Mark Hyman.

"These completely irresponsible remarks speak for themselves," Hyman told his viewers. "Foley should immediately deliver evidence that supports her horrible allegations or she should immediately resign as Newspaper Guild president."

The Sinclair host added: "Unfortunately, the damage may have already been done. Her remarks could lead to further bloodshed, including against Americans."

Foley's comments echo those from former CNN news chief Eason Jordan, who was forced to resign earlier this year after leveling similar charges at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland."

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, they all "Support The Troops, Just Not The War." Rolling Eyes Confused

How long until we hear of someone "testifying" before some committee on what "monsters" are being created?

Will J. Lo. end up following in Hanoi Janes footsteps, now that she has decided to ask HJs help in becoming more politicial?

Same crap, different war.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email address is lfoley at cwa-union.org

I emailed her demanding that she produce proof of her claims!!!
Otherwise, it is just another unsubstantiated smear on our military and she had better make a public apology!!!

Eason Jordan made this charge, then tried to deny it and refused
to turn over the tape of his remarks.
This time, there is a tape and I hope Sinclair Broadcasting keeps it out
there along with a demand for Linda Foley to substantiate her outrageous claim.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone researched the background of this group, the Newspaper Guild? She sounds like she's talking off the same sound bite as the Italian reporter a couple of months ago. Are they connected???

I'd love to wash those folks mouths out with soap until they said nice things about the US Military Sad

Navy wife
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On O'Reilly tonight 8pm est Fox News

Mark Hyman to Discuss the Newspaper Guild's Allegation Against the U.S. Military

"Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
(Nasdaq: SBGI) announced that commentator Mark Hyman will appear on the FOX
Cable News program, "The O'Reilly Factor," tonight where he will discuss his
commentary calling for the resignation of Linda Foley, President of the
Newspaper Guild of America (NGOA). Jennifer Gladstone of Sinclair's
NewsCentral provided an exclusive report on Wednesday of the NGOA's allegation
that the U.S. military has been targeting journalists in Iraq - a charge that
the U.S. military emphatically denies."

You can vote here: And also read, "Words That Cause Grave Harm"
http://www.newscentral.tv/
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Newspaper Guild"?

hahaha....

"We represent the Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild, The Lollipop Guild
And in the name of the Lollipop Guild,
We wish to welcome you to Muchkinland.
We welcome you to Munchkinland"

hahaha....

"If I shot them all, there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

-W. T. Sherman-
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newspaper Guild-Communications Workers of America Website:

http://www.cwa-union.org/news/WhatsNew.asp?ID=209

Affiliated with AFL-CIO

Seems to be typical Liberal Activists.

This statement by Foley is laughable:

The Guild, a leader in the fight for media diversity, co-sponsored a forum in October that raised serious questions about the effect of media consolidation on free speech. "One of the most important things we have to do is help people understand how fundamental this issue is to our
democracy and to their access to credible information,"
TNG-CWA President Linda Foley said.

CREDIBLE INFORMATION?????
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a year "down range" in Iraq, and frankly, a story like this does not suprise me.

Ok ya'll, get this. Summer of 2003. Some of my fellow soldiers and I were sitting in the "Mess Hall" at Camp Speicher, just north of Tikrit, eating dinner. We had just come off mission, and we were in full battle rattle. We were approached by a reporter and cameraman from CNN, he asked if he could talk to us and answer some questions. Now I can tell you, if you want the truth, just ask a Private.

One of my soldiers, a Private, told him to "Eat Sh*t, I only talk to Fox News, I don't trust you and the rest of the MSM to tell the truth."

How's that for telling it like it is, and this kid is only 22 years old. I wanted to give him a medal right then and there.

I still have many friends that are in Iraq, and its pretty much a given with the grunts in Iraq, as a whole don't want to talk with any reporters because the soldiers know about the spin that is put on what they say.

It is true that the MSM is not reporting the good things that soldiers are doing in Iraq, and the "Dumb Grunts" understand this and have distanced themselves from the media.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knighthawk wrote:
One of my soldiers, a Private, told him to "Eat Sh*t, I only talk to Fox News, I don't trust you and the rest of the MSM to tell the truth."

Laughing

Oh, I wish I could give that young man some homemade cookies!

And I'm so sorry that's it's devolved to this point. I listen to old news broadcasts and it wasn't always this way. Soldiers used to speak proudly of what they'd accomplished and the folks at home could listen and know that the sacrifices they were making were not in vain.

The patriotism and concern for the well-being of the troops in harm's way was so apparent in the newscasts from back then.

I keep praying that we can get more of it - for all of our sakes.

I think it says a lot about our culture when we allow these pathetic little talking head nobodies to get away with the absolutely treasonous conduct that we've seen them commit time and again since 9-11.

The safety of the troops should come automatically. Unfortunately for all of us, that requires some discretion and common sense on the part of the media.

Sadly, in their headlong dash to discredit all things military, they have no concern for the precious blood being spilled on foreign soil in our defense.

God help us - we need it!

wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How's that for telling it like it is, and this kid is only 22 years old. I wanted to give him a medal right then and there.

I still have many friends that are in Iraq, and its pretty much a given with the grunts in Iraq, as a whole don't want to talk with any reporters because the soldiers know about the spin that is put on what they say.

It is true that the MSM is not reporting the good things that soldiers are doing in Iraq, and the "Dumb Grunts" understand this and have distanced themselves from the media.

Gotta love the "Grunts". They usually do get it right. There's a built in filter to the BS.

From a old proud Grunt.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reponse to Ms Foley from the field in Iraq

source powerline
A Word from Major E.
Quote:
Major Eric E. serves with the Iraq Explosive Device Task Force at Camp Victory in Baghdad. He understandably takes Linda Foley's remarks regarding the American military targeting journalists rather personally. He has sent us a copy of his letter to the union over which she presides:

Quote:
Dear Newspaper Guild:

As an American serving here in Iraq, and having previously served in Afganistan, I am deeply offended by Ms. Linda Foley's crystal clear allegation, made in a public forum to audience applause, that the U.S. military conducts targeted killings of foreign journalists in Iraq. Of course, she has no evidence. The U.S. military liberated these nations, and is providing security to facilitate the development of democratic governments that encourage constitutional freedoms, such as that of the press.

On the other hand, however, there is possible evidence that there are journalists, or people posing as journalists, who are actively supporting the insurgents and, therefore, their terrorist tactics. For example, there was recently a CBS journalist who was firing at U.S. troops. Interestingly, when he was first apprehended, many of the newspapers you represent breathlessly reported that the U.S. had wounded a CBS journalist. After a brief investigation that revealed the man's actual role in attacking U.S. troops, many of the same papers changed their decription to say only that it was a man who carried the credentials of a CBS journalist.

Another example of journalists who actively support the insurgency occurred recently at the 14th Street Bridge in Baghdad. My sources are the troops who were themselves involved in this incident. The south end of the bridge was the site of a spectacular car-bomb attack several months ago and there is an abandoned building that stands alone near the site.

One morning, the Iraqi police guarding the bridge noticed an abandoned car near their checkpoint. Upon investigation, they found that it was filled with explosives. After safely moving the dozens of innocent civilians who would likely have otherwise been killed by a blast, the police neutralized the car bomb.

Within minutes, a television camera crew, emerged from the abandoned building. When the Iraqi police questioned them, they simply showed their Al-Jazeera "journalist" credentials, saying that they were filming the river and knew nothing of the car bomb. They then drove north toward the next bridge, where thirty minutes later a different car bomb detonated, killing Iraqi civilians. To the surprise of no one, the footage was aired on Al-Jazeera that night. Obviously, the crew had at least been informed of the terrorist plans, and even back-up plans, then actively supported terror against Iraqi civilians by filming and broadcasting it around the world.

Another example, which does not yet rise to the level of evidence, is the photographer who was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his photo of insurgents executing Iraqi poll workers in the middle of a busy street, before the January 30th elections. From the perspective of the photo, it is clear that the photographer is close to the killers...and likely in the middle of the street with them.

It raises the question of whether the photographer was collaborating with the killers. That question is unlikely to be answered though, because Associated Press, the news organization who paid the photographer, refuses to give his or her name, and explained that they were doing so in order to protect the individual's "safety." I ask you, if he or she was comfortable enough to be that close to the men who were executing those poll workers in broad daylight, exactly who is it that might pose a danger to this person?

The men and women of the U.S. military are risking their lives to end tyranny and bring freedom to these countries. It is insulting for the leader and chief spokesperson for your organization, which represents journalists from all over the country, to make baseless allegations in order to smear the reputation of the members of our armed forces. She need not support, or even appreciate, the U.S. military, but she should not use her position to smear its reputation with charges that are equally horrible and baseless.

Ms. Foley seems better suited to write an opinion column, rather than to serve as the head of a leading organization that represents the members of a profession that, at its core, requires integrity and objectivity. I ask you to relieve Ms. Foley of her duties, and replace her with someone who understands the importance of having evidence to support sensational allegations, such as saying publicly that the U.S. military murders those from around the world who carry out one of our nation's most sacred freedoms--the freedom of the press.

Thank you for your attention. Please e-mail a response to this address.

Sincerely,
Major Eric E.
Camp Victory
Baghdad

Major E. promises to let us know as soon as he hears back from the guild, but we're not holding our breath on that one.

~snip
So Ms. Foley specifically alleged that journalists are being deliberately killed by U.S. soldiers in Iraq; that there are a "number" of such killings which are "brutal;" that the U.S. military has killed American journalists; and that soldiers have also murdered Arab journalists "with impunity." She cites exactly one example in support of these lurid charges, the blowing up of the Al Jazeera studio in Baghdad in the early phase of the Iraq war, in which an Al Jazeera employee died. I believe this incident did occur; however, I do not know of any evidence that the bombing was deliberate. The Army said that it was accidental. Which illustrates, of course, why the U.S. government urged all foreign journalists to leave the country before the war began. That's a mighty thin reed on which to rest her charges.

emphasis added
NYCnative
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iraqi blogs have from time to time posted thier feelings about the "journalists". Since this posting Haifa street has been cleaned up a lot from what it had been.

From Iraq The Model
posting from Big Pharaoh

Quote:

Monday, December 27, 2004

In the last two days I was busy putting my blog together after that mysterious error and it seems that I overlooked some very important stuff and missed some news that require a stop.
The one I'm trying to point at is THIS.

I saw that not a few bloggers have already addressed this……Damn it, I can't find a word to describe it. Anyway I just want to add few words from my personal experience.
Haifa street is not a preferred choice for Baghdadis when they want to go for a walk or even for regular movement because of the dangerous alliance that was born several months ago between the Ba'athists who have the money and the regular criminals who are alwyas hungry for money and these criminals inhabit the old neighborhood close to this street.

And I believe it's become a sinister spot for journalists who work for foreign media after one of them got killed in a helicopter rocket attack during some clashes between the terrorists and the coalition troops some time ago.
So, what the f*** was that photographer doing with his equipment at that particular moment, in that particular spot?

An explanation is needed….No wait, what would I do with a stupid explanation!
I demand an investigation on this incident, immediately because frankly I'm tired of watching this happening again and again and I'm tired of talking about such suspicious activities from some news networks. Once it was Al Jazeera, the second time it was Al Arabiya and now it's AP.

Who's going to get killed next? And who's going to cover it live?

http://bigpharaoh.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_bigpharaoh_archive.html#110409044313815239

"Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof." -Inscription on the Liberty Bell
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If reporters continue to embed themselves with the enemy, they have entered a free fire zone and face the consequences. We only wage war one way, with overwhelming force and if you're on the other side of this sh*itstorm of lead may God Save Your Soul.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
If reporters continue to embed themselves with the enemy, they have entered a free fire zone and face the consequences. We only wage war one way, with overwhelming force and if you're on the other side of this sh*itstorm of lead may God Save Your Soul.

Cool Cool Cool

Amen!

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:

Cool Cool Cool

Amen!

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: