SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McCain Pulled Senate Back From Armageddon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: McCain Pulled Senate Back From Armageddon Reply with quote

Sheesh!!!! There's only a gazillion misstatements by this writer, starting with the title.
Her drippy drooling over McCain is nauseating.
But then you see who the writer is--Margaret Carlson from the totally unbiased PBS.
Quote:
McCain Pulled Senate Back From Armageddon: Margaret Carlson
May 26 (Bloomberg) -- Step back from the precipice. Take your nuclear option off the table. Put your hand where I can shake it.

And so John McCain pulled the Senate back from Armageddon Monday night, becoming a temporary hero to all but the fire-eaters in both parties. McCain had only a few hours to broker a deal -- not just Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's deadline but his own: the Washington premiere at 7 p.m. of the movie based on McCain's book ``Faith of My Fathers.''

Shortly after 7, a deal was struck. There were high fives and hugs in McCain's office, but there was no joy in Fristville. His folks had been praying for Armageddon ever since Frist, of Tennessee, and his Democratic counterpart, Harry Reid of Nevada, gave up on coming to terms after a private dinner on May 15.

That evening ended early and put the so-called nuclear option -- Frist's plan to scuttle filibusters of Bush's judicial nominees -- back on the table. Frist knows his supporters would rather dine on cyanide than accept half a loaf.

What makes it more interesting is that both senators are likely presidential candidates in 2008. In this pre-primary, chalk up one for McCain.

To that end, McCain seems to have no strategy except to be an equal opportunity offender of special interest groups. (The Senate panel he chairs on Indian affairs is investigating lobbyist Jack Abramoff, a sponsor of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's controversial travel.)
( and many, many democrats)

Dutiful Servant

Frist, on the other hand, has risen by dutiful service to his president. While McCain envelops everyone like a long-lost shipmate, he sure didn't embrace the SBVT
Frist doesn't have a hair or a verb out of place. He only warms up when the conversation turns to angina, or when he talks about his surgical trips to Africa.

Frist, a surgeon, almost ran as a Democrat when he first entered politics. Now he has little time for the other side. According to the Washington Post, one of his rare instances of reaching across the aisle was when he and Reid co-sponsored a bill to restrain unruly airline passengers. Their common ground: Frist's wife was a flight attendant and Reid represents that most unruly of travel destinations, Las Vegas.

McCain has thrived being his own man. Frist is playing to a constituency whose basic operating instructions are not to give an inch. But the tide may be turning on that approach. Public approval of Congress is at a dismal 29 percent, according to a CBS News poll taken May 20-23.the disapproval is with democrat obstructing and delaying

Errors

Frist has erred several times since the November elections. If his finest moment in the Senate was racing to the scene with his medical bag after a crazy man stormed the Capitol, his worst was playing doctor to Terri Schiavo as the world watched him diagnose her condition from the floor of the Senate, just about the only time health care has come up this session.

Even conservatives don't want government in their hospital room. The public is also turning against him as he carries the White House brief on Social Security, Iraq, No Child Left Behind, and changes to Medicare.Wishful thinking, Margaret

Democrats are hardly the source of Frist's troubles. Beaten bloody as harp seals since losing in November, they ask for little besides mercy.Mercy for what??? The fact that they are in the minority? They were silent on Schiavo and haven't mustered the moxie to offer their own Social Security plan. They objected to limits on stem cell research but left it to raving liberals like Utah's Orrin Hatch to actually do something about it.

Stem Cell Politics

Once upon a time, Dr. Frist believed in embryonic stem cell research. Then he heard his base howling that a clump of cells less sophisticated than a mosquito constituted a human life. When President George W. Bush limited such research to existing stem cell lines, Frist went along. As predicted, the policy proved woefully inadequate. The House, abandoning the president, voted to overturn the ban. The Senate, abandoning Frist, will soon follow.And President Bush will veto it, sorry Margaret

There are few strategies worse than taking your marching orders from the activist minority of a slim majority.Uh, Margaret, the conservatives are hardly a minority in the Republican Party. But try telling that to the College of Cardinals running the GOP.That statement is just plain OFFENSIVE Bush barely beat a Massachusetts metrosexual married to a billionaire in the middle of a war.BARELY BEAT??3,000,000 plus votes?? He emerged with a scant 51 percent and [b]acts like Pope Benedict XVI.again OFFENSIVE

Frist should dine more often with the other side. Bloodied Democrats could tell him of the hazard of getting pushed too far from the center; it happened to them on partial birth abortion. Frist and McCain don't see the world in such different ways -- McCain's a conservative, too. He sits at Barry Goldwater's old desk.Margaret, is there any brain matter between your ears??

But McCain's also that rare being in politics -- an existentialist. He made it to the Reagan Building in time to see his much younger self on the big screen, a fresh-faced Navy aviator who had no idea he would soon be living through hell. No wonder he doesn't care if his hair or verbs are out of place or if he hangs out with the other side. No wonder he thinks Iowa will take care of itself.Don't count on it, John.

To contact the writer of this column:
Margaret Carlson at mcarlson3@bloomberg.net.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_us&refer=&sid=aw2yje7SffQ0

Just another LOONY-LEFT LIBERAL IN LA-LA LAND!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe McCain needs to realize that if we wanted Liberal Democrats in power, we would have voted them in.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to tell Capt. McQueeg we don't want him. He should just switch parties and see how welcome he becomes when his ego clashes with all the swelled heads of the likes of sKerry, Schumer, Kennedy and the rest. I have no regard for McCain and do not trust him.
DaveS
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: McCain should start his own party! Reply with quote

He is not loyal to anyone and only wants attention.

I have never liked him and knew years ago that something was flawed when I saw how the MSM fawned all over him. He makes me want to puke.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have serious questions about him myself. The POW/MIA issues and the push with sKerry to normalize relations with VN are very high on my list.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wpage wrote:
Have serious questions about him myself. The POW/MIA issues and the push with sKerry to normalize relations with VN are very high on my list.

I have no doubt that McCain and Kerry are cut from the same cloth.

They will say or do anything to remain in power.

Kerry is a dyed in the wool liberal that tried to look moderate and failed; McCain is a dyed in the wool liberal that pulled it off.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I sometimes put myself through the torture of
watching "Capitol Gang", especially when Kate O'Beirne is on. Mark
Shields and Al Hunt are bad enough, but lately Margaret Carlson has
not even made the slightest attempt to hide her bias. Since she
absolutely LOVES McCain, I am not surprised to read this article which
makes McCain appear a hero rather than the backstabber he is.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met Charles Keating. He told me to call him ' Charlie'. About John McCain he said he didn't get what he paid for! That's true for everyone that encounters (Did I tell you he was a POW?) John.

Barry would be spinning. Shortly after John (Did I tell you he was a POW?) took Goldwater's seat he held a fund raiser "for Barry". At the end of the night Barry took half the money (It's for me aint it?) for the state GOP so he and John (Did I tell you he was a POW?) never spoke again.

John (Did I tell you he was a POW?) didn't have to run last year...no one knew he was on the ballot because his 'encumbent protection act'/campaign finance reform killed any possibles. The state GOP hates him but that's not where he gets his votes.

For your second go round marry the richest (mob) beer distributer's daughter in the state and you can be a senator too. Shake down everyone before your commerce committee for favors and you too can run a national campaign. Side with the New York Times and the rest of the MSM against a Republican and you too (Did I tell you he was a POW?) can be John McCain.

I can't pretend to know the hardship McCain endured during his captivity. I can observe that he's put it behind him by attaching himself to antithetical agreements with VietNam, John Kerry and a personal antimony to W.

I just wish some one would come 'round and check his land claims in Arizona, indict him (Did I tell you he was a POW?) and save us from this guy (Did I tell you he was a POW?) we can't vote out.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If either of the Sr. Admiral McCains were stil around, John would be taken to the woodshed. I doubt they would be pleased with his behaviors. It is important to focus on his present. He has made the past irrelevant to his politics. Two media hogs bigger than he and ******* Schumer would be hard to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: