SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max Cleland and Hollywood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Max Cleland and Hollywood Reply with quote

It appears that Max Cleland and Hollywood are again at it attacking the Vietnam Veteran and the War.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linky Question

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Sparky give us a clue where this story is published.

Independent that leans right of center.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please supply a link to the story. This thread will have to be deleted later today if no link is supplied.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this:

http://www.amctv.com/show/detail?CID=63471-1-EST

Quote:
Hollywood Vietnam (2005)
Adventure
Color, 60 min.

"Hollywood Vietnam" takes us on a mythical journey to the Vietnam War and back, as it was imagined by Hollywood. With an emphasis on how Vietnam War films both succeed and fail to depict the reality of Vietnam, the documentary sets out to examine how history is communicated through storytelling, and ultimately, what these stories tell us about our age-old love-hate relationship with warfare. This special draws on over 20 films and includes interviews with prominent Vietnam veterans and people involved in the making of these films: Senator Max Cleland (Vietnam Veteran), Senator Chuck Hagel (Vietnam Veteran), Jerome Hellman (ex-Marine, producer "Coming Home"), actor Matthew Modine ("Full Metal Jacket"), John Milius (Writer, "Apocalypse Now"), Bobby Muller (Founder: Vietnam Veterans of America), Ron Kovik (Vietnam Veteran and writer, "Born on the Fourth of July") and R. Lee Ermey (Vietnam Veteran - actor and military technical advisor, "Full Metal Jacket", "Boys of Company C", "Apocalypse Now").

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollyweird does it again! As if their version is thus sayeth the Lord. Give me a break...between them and Maureen Dowd.....they should be hung!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed they somehow forgot Mel Gibsons "We Were Soldiers."
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday while surfing TV on two different channels they were showing The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now. These two movies really helped the image of the VN vet Question
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my money Good Morning, Vietnam was the closest to the Viet Nam experience that I have seen to date. Geez, I even remember meeting my own in-laws in a manner somewhat reminescent of the scene when Robbin Williams meets the family of the VN girl he as wooing.
The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now couldn't have played more into the John Kerry image of Viet Nam. They were so far out in fantasyland it wasn't even close.
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this program. They did include "We Were Soldiers Once". They only showed one scene. The one where the troops are ready to deploy and Mel Gibson says that he can't guarantee that all would return alive. But, he could guarantee that nobody would be left behind on the battlefield.

However, the basic thrust of the program was that the typical Vietnam veteran may not be deranged, but he is a very angry disillusioned person who was betrayed by his government (that lied to him) and his country (that rejected him). Also, that we "invaded" Vietnam and destroyed the country. And, lest we forget, war in general is a futile exercise and that there is no valid reason for going to war.

All together, a thoroughly enjoyable 60 minutes - if you want to feel like an angry veteran (angry at everyone that appeared in this piece of propaganda). I am making a list of Hollywood directors and actors that hate America. I may run out of ink and paper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: