SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWA 800's 'Deep Throat'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manelly wrote:
looks like the eyewitnesses had to take out there own Ad in the Washington Times on 8-15-2000

http://twa800.com/images/times-8-15-00.gif

more here:
http://www.twa800.com/radar.htm

I remember this ad from back then - I thought that ad was worth posting here -
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Look at this Executive Order signed on the day of the TWA800 disaster.
The Federal Labor-Management Relations Program includes the Wistle Blower clause but by Excluding the Naval Special Warfare Development Group from it, there would be no protection. Anyone from the Navy who spoke about the debris they collected, would be punished for violating National Security.

SBD

SBD, the signing of this "Executive Order" is signed the beginning of the week closed door session testimony began.

Here is a portion of H. Michael Sweeney's open letter toThe People, Media, and to Congress:

Quote:
You have been lied to by FBI

1) You may recall that in the week of March 20, FBI testified before a
closed session of the House Subcommittee on Aviation regarding the
missile fire theory and, more specifically, the issue of the
Russell/Salinger radar tape as evidential that a missile struck flight
Subsequently, investigation head, Agent James Kallstrom went public
with what we must presume to be a summary version of that Congressional
presentation, at least with respect to key facts discussed herein.
Congress and America are, by Kallstrom's remarks, apparently to believe
those radar images proved we on Internet who pursue the missile theory
were ourselves involved in some cruel hoax or operating out of
delusional thinking. This was the stage setting for the lie.

here is the link: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/CRASH/TWA/CIAVIDEO/sween.html

Sweeney also discusses the problems they had with the media that will sound all too familiar to us here at the SwiftVet Forum Sad
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, some damning evidence (recovered parts of the plane) were
whisked away by the FBI, never to be seen again!
Quote:
Flight 800: The Missing Evidence
When Suspicious Debris Arrived in the Hangar the FBI Took It Away
by Robert Davey
April 15, 1998

FBI agents at the Calverton hangar where wreckage from TWA Flight 800 was being examined to determine the cause of the crash removed a piece from the leading edge of one wing, two sources told The Village Voice. These sources said the wing piece bore possible evidence of the explosion of a missile warhead.
Journalist and author James Sanders alleges that two unnamed National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigators told him that the FBI would not allow the piece to be tagged and put into the NTSB computer; instead they had it flown to Washington, D.C. However, although the wing piece apparently hasn't been entered into its database, NTSB managing director Peter Goelz denies that the FBI prevented his agency from logging any information. The wing piece, which seems to have vanished, tested positive for explosives in an examination in Calverton, according to Sanders, and had a series of punctures in the apex of the leading edge that could have been made by shrapnel traveling at high velocity.

An Air National Guard helicopter pilot named Fred Meyer said the piece of debris, ''about five feet long,'' was likely the one he ferried from Calverton to his base at Westhampton Beach in July or early August 1996. ''I knew from looking at it that it was the leading edge of some aerofoil--horizontal stabilizer, rudder, or wing--and it had punctures in it. We're talking about a piece of aluminum alloy that is very strong and rigid. In this were dimples with holes in the center of the dimple, like something was driven through with incredible force--I would say four to six holes,'' Meyer told the Voice.

FBI spokesman Joe Valiquette says the agency did indeed remove a wing piece with a series of holes in it and flew it to an FBI lab in Washington. There it was determined, he says, that the holes were not caused by an explosion, nor was any suspicious residue found on the wing. Sanders, however, insists that his sources, both NTSB investigators, told him residue was discovered on the wing piece, and it had tested positive for explosives. Although The New York Times quoted an unnamed source as saying that a preliminary test on the wing piece came back ''borderline positive'' for explosive material, NTSB director Goelz says the Times report was incorrect and denies that there was any positive test for explosives.

Valiquette says the FBI returned the wing with the suspicious holes in it to the NTSB investigation in Calverton, along with a lab report showing the negative results of a test for explosives. However, NTSB director Goelz says he is not aware of any piece from a wing edge with holes in it. ''Do you have a reference number?'' he asked. As the Voice was going to press, more than a week after first requesting specific comment, Goelz said he was still trying to locate the wing piece.

In other words, the wing piece has not been reexamined by the NTSB. This is alarming given the intense criticism that arose last year over the integrity of FBI crime labs. Last fall before a Senate committee, Inspector General Michael Bromwich stated that ''hundreds if not thousands of cases are implicated'' in the mishandling of evidence in FBI labs. The former FBI crime lab unit chief James Corby also testified that explosives unit chief J.Thomas Thurman, who was involved in the TWA Flight 800 investigation, was a particular problem. ''Special agent Thurman did alter reports intentionally,'' Corby said.

Further tests of the wing piece by the NTSB would have been reassuring. But the uncertainty cannot be resolved. The wing piece is missing.

Both the FBI and NTSB, nevertheless, have ruled out a missile as the cause of the crash, a conclusion much disputed by Sanders, Meyer, and other critics of the investigation. Bound for Paris, the 747 exploded without warning at 8:31 p.m., July 17, 1996, about 12 minutes after takeoff from Kennedy airport. The plane was eight miles south of Long Island at about 13,700 feet on a hazy evening, just after sunset. All 230 passengers and crew were killed.

What became the most expensive investigation ever into a civilian air disaster ($28 million and counting) was launched, with the FBI and the NTSB sharing the load. The FBI searched for evidence of a crime, while the NTSB assumed its mandate to investigate major air crashes. Although neither agency has determined the cause of the explosion, last week the NTSB recommended the rewiring of thousands of airliners, mostly 747s, built by Boeing and other companies, which may reduce the risk of sparks that could ignite fuel vapors.

The FBI-NTSB joint investigation was not a comfortable fit. Indeed, tensions between the agencies reportedly arose immediately over the interviewing of eyewitnesses and the handling of evidence. The FBI's most pressing concern at Calverton, Sanders insists, was to be on the lookout for certain kinds of evidence. A retired police officer from Seal Beach, California, Sanders is the author of The Downing of TWA Flight 800 (Zebra Books, 1997), which argues that the 747 was shot down by a U.S. Navy missile during an exercise. ''The FBI was coming in when there appeared to be sensitive pieces coming onto the floor of the hangar,'' Sanders told the Voice, ''but before they'd been tagged and catalogued and put into the NTSB computer they would be removed, never to be seen again.''

Sanders's source for this is Terrell Stacey, a veteran TWA captain who on July 16 had flown from Paris to New York the very aircraft that the following day would be designated TWA 800. Stacey was chosen to represent the company in the investigation ''because of his expertise in dealing with the 747,'' said TWA spokesman Mark Abels.

When Sanders first spoke to Stacey, he remembers, Stacey said, ''If you'd called a week ago I'd have blown you off, but things are so bad inside the hangar that, yeah, I'll talk to you.''

[bSanders says that Stacey told him he had watched the FBI walk off with a structural piece called a ''pickle fork,'' for example. ''This particular one was on the right side, where the wing meets the fuselage. This pickle fork had exterior strike marks: something outside going into the plane had hit it. The FBI took it,'' says Sanders. The NTSB's Peter Goelz says he was not ready to comment on the pickle fork. The FBI also had no comment.[/b]

At secret meetings in hotel rooms, Stacey told Sanders he was not the only one dismayed at the spectacle of disappearing debris. There were times, Sanders says Stacey told him, when senior NTSB management had to deal with a virtual rebellion from workers who felt that the investigation was being derailed by the FBI. By January 1997, Sanders says, ''he was saying that on the NTSB side virtually all the workers on the floor had come to the conclusion it must have been a missile.'' (When this reporter visited Stacey's home in rural New Jersey, he declined to comment, citing the legal troubles that have arisen as a result of his role as a primary source in Sanders's book.)

In addition to his tales from the hangar, Stacey brought a printout of an NTSB log to one of the meetings with Sanders. The printout, a copy of which was obtained by The Village Voice, lists hundreds of pieces of debris, noting where each was found on the ocean floor. During the early days of the recovery effort the order in which pieces blew off the aircraft was apparently considered important. ''Things that fall off first tend to be clues to what happened,'' an unidentified investigator told The New York Times.

With that principle in mind, Sanders notes, ''CW504 is particularly fascinating because it was the first structural piece to fall off.'' This piece is part of the front spar, which is the front wall of the center fuel tank in the belly of the aircraft between the two wings. No fuel or fuel vapor comes into contact with the front spar because it is separated from the rest of the tank by a dry bay.

In his summary of the NTSB's account of how the airplane came apart, a process that for the NTSB began with an explosion of vapor in the center fuel tank, senior metallurgist James Wildey writes, ''In some cases, the Group had to accept that some features either could not be explained by the proposed scenario or might even be in conflict with the proposed scenario. A case in point of an apparent conflict is the recovery location of front spar piece CW504 in the earliest part of the red area [the area nearest to Kennedy airport].''

The problem with CW504 is that although several more bits of the front spar were found in the red zone, most of the center fuel tank was recovered from the green zone, the debris field a couple of miles to the north and east where the aft fuselage section fell. Possibly on account of this, one mid-August 1996 article in The New York Times reported that investigators had concluded that the center fuel tank exploded as much as 24 seconds after the initial blast.

Sanders pointed out that another NTSB report, ''The Trajectory Study,'' grappled with the enigma of CW504 and the piece RF35, which also fell off in the first few seconds after the initial event and landed early in the red zone. RF35 was a piece of the right fuselage above the front of the wing, containing some cabin windows. On NTSB photos of the fuselage reconstruction it is just above a gaping hole, and just in front of the tear in the fuselage where the first-class section and nose sheared away from the rest of the aircraft.

''The Trajectory Study'' states that, using accepted principles to calculate the trajectory of these two pieces, both would have had to leave the aircraft before the last transponder radar return, which is presumed to be impossible. After pages of calculations the report concludes that CW504 must have spun like a Frisbee, and that RF35 probably glided, to reach their respective recovery positions.

But to Sanders, no fancy aeronautical theorizing is needed to explain all this. You just have to suppose that in fact the center fuel tank, if it did explode, had nothing to do with the ejection of these pieces from the aircraft. What did cause them to break away so suddenly was a missile that hit the plane just forward of the wings, leaving the residue on the wing leading edge and the strike marks on the pickle fork, and knocking out RF35 and CW504. Then there was the trail of reddish orange residue on seats in rows 17 to 19.

This residue was on two pieces of seat fabric that Stacey took from the hangar. Sanders had it analyzed at a laboratory. He now says he regrets not asking the lab simply to test for explosives, instead of giving him a breakdown of all the metals and chemical compounds in the residue. But a breakdown is what he got, and he says that missile manufacturers like Thiokol acknowledge that the chemical brew is found in missiles and the fuel that drives them. The FBI insists the residue is nothing but glue, used to refurbish the seats in that particular section of the plane.

Whatever the residue is, it has gotten Sanders, Stacey, and Sanders's wife, Liz, into serious legal trouble. After Sanders's missile theory was published in The Press-Enterprise newspaper in Riverside, California, and a month later in The Downing of TWA Flight 800, the FBI subpoenaed Sanders's phone records.

In doing so, Sanders says, they ignored his rights as a journalist. Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Campbell insisted that the conditions were met for a subpoena to be issued for the phone records of a member of the media. Sanders says the FBI moved so quickly that he had no chance to challenge the subpoena, signed by Attorney General Janet Reno.

After the FBI found Stacey's name in the phone records, they questioned him and he agreed to cooperate in return for a reduced charge of misdemeanor theft. This was in June 1997. Strangely, the FBI permitted Stacey to remain part of the investigation, with access to the Calverton hangar, until they were ready to charge him, which didn't happen until December.

Stacey's guilty plea carries the risk of a one-year jail sentence and a fine of up to $100,000. He is scheduled to be sentenced in June. Sanders and his wife, Liz, an ex--TWA employee whose only role, she says, was to ask Stacey if he would speak to her husband, face up to 10 years in jail if they are convicted of charges of conspiracy to steal and theft of material from an aircraft accident. Their trial has yet to be scheduled.

Meanwhile, Sanders says that, partly as a result of learning about the holes in the wing debris, he has changed his mind to some degree about the accident. In his book he theorized that an unarmed missile had hit the plane. Now, he says, ''I no longer think the warhead was inert.''

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/9816,davey2,7984,1.html
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if this is already here - my apologies if so -

The Jr. Senator from Mass. is quoted here:

Quote:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1108774/posts

John Kerry's Own Words on 9/11 -- A Selection of Research (must read)
Various excerpts | 9/11/01 - 9/12/01 | John Kerry
Posted on 03/31/2004 10:19:48 AM PST by jmstein7

CNN LARRY KING LIVE 21:00 September 11, 2001 Tuesday

KING: Senator Kerry did your -- did you committee on international opertions and terrorism ever actually fear something like this?

SEN. JOHN KERRY (R), MASSACHUSETTS: Absolutely. Absolutely. But let me join John and I know all my colleagues in just expressing -- I think all of us here in Washington are feeling in very personal ways the loss of what's happened here. I know that I had one friend I know of already on that plane from Boston, and I dread the learning of perhaps others. But for thousands of families tonight, there is just a huge loss, and I think in every American there's a sense -- there's a fury, an intense, burning fury about this and a determination to do what is right about it.

We have always known this could happen. We've warned about it. We've talked about it. I regret to say, as -- I served on the Intelligence Committee up until last year. I can remember after the bombings of the embassies, after TWA 800, we went through this flurry of activity, talking about it, but not really doing hard work of responding.

SNIP
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Morris also refers to Flt 800 as a terrorist act

Transcript segment from:
Show: FOX ON THE RECORD WITH GRETA VAN SUSTEREN>

Date: February 7, 2002

Quote:
MORRIS: In 1995--in 1995--a bill was pending in the United

States Senate to require that sanctions be imposed on oil companies or
other companies that enhanced
the Iranian oil industry. Sandy Berger advised a veto. Clinton signed
it...

VAN SUSTEREN: And that was...
MORRIS: ... as well as there was a national security waiver.
VAN SUSTEREN: And what that had to do with the issue of...
MORRIS: Clinton then continued--Clinton then continued to waive

the imposition of sanctions, the three times that something like that
happened. In 1996, when we had
the Air 800
, when we had the Olympics and when we had Saudi Arabia...

VAN SUSTEREN: All right, stop right there, since...

MORRIS: ... and there was decisive evidence that these were
caused by terrorists...

Morris tends to try and back off it a little.....i think.....anyway....here is the link http://www.lucianne.com/routine/archives/lcomstaf.htm
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

September 18, 1996, Wednesday
COMMITTEE HEARING

HOUSE NATIONAL SECURITY COMMITTEE
HOLDS HEARING ON THE DOWNING REPORT OF THE BOMBING OF KHOBAR TOWERS NEAR DHAHRAN, SAUDI ARABIA

CUNNINGHAM: Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

General Shalikashvili, you know I consider you a friend and I also consider you a soldier because I've witnessed over the last couple of years your diligence to stay out of politics and take care of our troops and do what's right.

And I would say, General Downing, other than the Navy's going to kick your rear end in the next football game, that...

DOWNING: It will be the first time in four years or five years if that happens, I might add.

(LAUGHTER)

CUNNINGHAM: We're due, sir. We're due.

But let me just say that the tactical changes that you're making, I think are noteworthy and I think from the administration. But I think we're a country that where we should be controlling the flow of the river instead of swimming upstream.

And let me be specific.

First of all, there is a fundamentalist mood not just in Bosnia and Europe and Russia and Turkey and the United States that I don't feel that we're meeting adequately, that -- just like the drug program that, in my opinion, the administration has grossly not overseen to the problems worldwide that where you're talking about tactics and you talk about that first of all that the sanctions against Iran and Iraq -- I mean, they're still full speed.

CUNNINGHAM: That's not enough. And it's like saying that, "Well, we're going to stop interdiction for drugs and that's going to make it go away."

There's a much bigger picture, and I know all of you realize that.

But I've got a book here that lists by name many of the terrorist that are still in Bosnia today from Hamas and mujaheddin, from Iran, Iraq, and Pakistan and so on. While you got a few hundred of them that were escorted out after the Dayton accord, you still have Islamic fundamentalist units in Bosnia.

And just like TWA 800, the arms that the president sent there that violated the agreement the Congress made and sent arms to Bosnia -- I just had the delegation from Yugoslavia in the back room -- those arms are going to end up all over Europe, and they're going to end up against the United States. From the Hamas, from the mujaheddin. And the things like TWA are going to escalate in this country because of our policies, and that's why I say you're swimming upstream.

Secondly is that I see a bigger picture and a real problem. Russia today, if Yeltsin fell, is scared together of the fundamentalist and Islamic movement within their country. You look at Turkey. They're going toward fundamentalism.

You look at a lot of areas, even in our own country with Farrakhan trying to accept a billion dollars from Libya. I mean, those are real problems that we're not addressing.

And what you're trying to do is great. But when you've got a dam bursting, trying to swim upstream and maybe put a little dam isn't going to work.

There is a whole movement out there against Christianity, against Israel, and against the west. And unless we really adhere to that, I think we're in big trouble. And our little efforts that we're trying to make tactically, we're going to be in big trouble.

You talk about training. You know, I talked to Captain O'Grady. You know, when you talk about the superior training. The Air Force doesn't have F-16s now in its adversary program. It's flying -- the 64th and 65th are gone. The only adversary we have in the Navy now is Top Gun. And you know what we're flying instead of F-16s, simulating Su-29 and MiG-29 and Su-27? Pre-Vietnam A-4s and F-5s because of the Defense cuts.

The president is looking at adding $6.5 billion in spending to let us -- pull us out of hostage, the Congress. but out of that $6.5 billion, he wants $3.5 billion out of Defense, General Shalikashvili.

And I know in your own accords, you know, the modernization and everything, but these are the things that we really need to look at.

And I laud Secretary Perry for your work overseas and these things, but unless we look at this thing in a bigger picture, we're going to be in deep trouble in this country.

CUNNINGHAM: And focus on it, we know where a lot of those folks are. We could have still had sanctions on Saddam Hussein, we'd still be there. Until we really start getting tough on these things, I think.

But I look at things even like the shoot down of the helicopters and who took the heat for that, the air crews, the F-15s. But yet it was the United Nations that didn't coordinate with AWACS, didn't coordinate with the helicopters, didn't coordinate with the F-15 drivers. And did the UN take a heat for it, no. You lost some of your good military guys that are professionals that sit out there and fight for this.

And I would just ask you to expand this and take a look because both in our training, the moral of the armed forces. And I don't care what you say, I talk to these kids everyday, including Admiral Boorda that we lost -- who was a good friend of all of us.

I think we've got a bigger problem here but I laud you for attacking that portion of the puzzle, but it's just one piece in the puzzle, sir. Thank you.

SBD
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember something I read in Yossef Bodansky's book, Bin Laden, the Man who Declared war on America. This book was published in 1999 by the way. I found this blurb at http://hometown.aol.com/missiletwa800/claims.htm

Perhaps you should read Yossef Bodansky's book - "bin Laden - The Man who Declared War on America". Bodansky is the Director of the House Task Force on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare and in this capacity is a key advisor to the highest echelons of the U.S. Government. In his book Bodansky writes that there were two key events "on the eve" of the TWA 800 downing.

First he describes an editorial in the London Islamist paper 'al-Quds al-Arabi' that spelled out the reasons behind the escalating terrorist attacks on the United States which concluded by mentioning the bombings in Riyadh and Khobar as the beginning of these attacks. The editor of al-Quds al-Arabi, Abdul-Bari Atwan, is personally close to Osama bin Laden.

Bodansky indicates that the second key event was a fax received by al-Hayah in London through al-Safir in Beirut in which on July 16 the Islamic Change Movement - the Jihad Wing in the Arabian Peninsula took credit for both the Riyadh and Khobar Towers bombings . A warning was then issued by the same group on July 17 stating that "the mujahideen will give their harshest reply to the threats of the foolish U.S. President. Everybody will be surprised by the magnitude of the reply. ... The invaders must be prepared to leave, either dead or alive. Their time is at the morning-dawn. Is not the morning-dawn near?". TWA 800 exploded in the early morning in the United Kingdom. On July 18, this group issued a statement accepting responsibility for the TWA 800 downing. The leaders the Islamic Change Movement had participated in a June 1996 terrorist planning meeting held in Tehran and on July 20, 1996 it attended a follow-up conference in Tehran in which the Islamic Change Movement was singled out for "recent achievements".

We can guess what the "recent achievements" were!
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remembered this, found at http://www.wealth4freedom.com/truth/13/twa800.htm. This is by the late great Willam S. Donaldson III, USN Cmdr. He was a critic of the official TWA 800 investigation as well.

4. When Mr. Clinton signed the Iran, Libya Sanctions Act of 1996, a decision was made by the Iranian Supreme Council to approve attacks on major American targets. Terrorist surrogate groups from nine countries were summoned to Tehran to meet with Iranian officials in June of 1996. Later that month, a huge truck bomb was deployed against the US Air Force barracks complex at Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia. Three weeks later, TWA Flight 800 was shot down only hours after an explicit warning of an attack was received in London and Washington that taunted the President.

See above for info about the warnings.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS AMAZING!!
This gentleman nails it!! He's got the goods on the government coverup!!
He is a USN Retired Aviation Mishap Analyst, who knows from which he speaks and it appears to me that he must have had some whistleblowers supplying leads and evidence!!

He wrote the following letter to Boeing and TWA: (emphasis mine)

Quote:
Re: The unexplained loss of TWA Flight 800

Cmdr. William S. Donaldson, III - USN, Ret.

Aviation Mishap Analyst

P.O. Box 90, Clements, Maryland 20624

April 5, 1999

Mr. Philip M. Condit
The Boeing Company
P.O. Box 3707, Mail Code 10-10
Seattle, WA 98124-2207

Mr. Gerald L. Gitner
Trans World Airlines
One City Center
515 North Sixth St.
St. Louis, MO 63101

Re: The unexplained loss of TWA Flight 800

Gentlemen,

Over the last four months our investigation into the loss of TWA

Flight 800 has produced information far surpassing that contained

in our July 20, 1998 Interim Report to Congress. We can now

prove, before a jury or other independent fact-finding body, that

the aircraft was shot down. We can also explain why the

Administration covered it up and expose some of the methods they

employed to do so.

Your corporations are being scapegoated and defrauded by

Administration officials because, had the truth about this incident

been reported before November of 1996, it could have derailed

the reelection of Clinton/Gore. Exposed now, it could send guilty

parties to jail for Misprision of Felony Homicide.

We can provide your attorney's with witnesses, documents, or

reference material that will support the following text:

White House knowledge of a threat prior to the loss of TWA

Flight 800.

1. The Administration knew that in 1996, surrogates from rogue

states had access to MANPADS (Man Portable Air Defense

Systems) or shoulder-fired missiles in mid-eastern weapons

bazaars. $5,000 would acquire the least capable model, the

Russian SA-7. $50,000 would buy the most capable, the Chinese

Vanguard, a deadly new missile upgraded from US Stinger

technology transferred to the Chinese in the early 90's. Superior to

the Stinger, this missile has a much longer range. The

Administration also knew Iran had a limited number of US Stinger

missiles in inventory.

2. The Administration was aware that, worldwide, MANPADS

missiles had already claimed 26 civil transport aircraft and was

only a matter of time before a U.S. Flag carrier would be targeted

and hit. They knew the Administration had dodged a bullet in

1994 when Maryland State Police found a fully armed French

Mistral MANPADS missile ready to fire on its tripod directly

under a busy northeastern air route.

3. In response to sanctions unilaterally levied against Iran by Mr.

Clinton in 1995, Iranian surrogate's car bombed US troops in

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and later smuggled MANPADS missiles into

the US from across the Canadian border. Iranian officials warned

the Administration that they considered enactment of the

Iran/Libya Sanctions Act tantamount to an act of war!

4. When Mr. Clinton signed the Iran, Libya Sanctions Act of

1996, a decision was made by the Iranian Supreme Council to

approve attacks on major American targets. Terrorist surrogate

groups from nine countries were summoned to Tehran to meet

with Iranian officials in June of 1996. Later that month, a huge

truck bomb was deployed against the US Air Force barracks

complex at Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia.

Three weeks later, TWA Flight 800 was shot down only hours after an explicit

warning of an attack was received in London and Washington that

taunted the President.

5. The White House, the CIA and the FBI were aware of the

threat and they knew preventing that attack was their primary

responsibility.

6. We can show the Administration anticipated incorrectly that, if

the missiles were used, they would be targeted against Olympic air

traffic landing or taking off in the Atlanta area.

7. We can provide testimony that immediately after Flight 800 was

shot down, Mr. Clinton called an FBI command post supporting

the Olympics and informed them Flight 800 was downed with

shoulder-fired missiles.

8. The White House, the CIA and the FBI political leadership have

waged an unrelenting disinformation campaign from the onset.

This has ranged from the White House spokesman stating,

"Anyone in government that says this was a missile only has half a

brain", and to the CIA cartoon that libeled hundreds of

eyewitnesses.

Witnesses or "Untouchables"?

1. The day after Flight 800 was shot down, the Justice

Department, helped by 1,000 FBI agents, began the process of

converting hundreds of witnesses into the first American

"untouchable cast". The political leadership of the NTSB aborted

its mission in one surrender of its responsibilities after another.

When the Justice Department illegally ordered the NTSB crash

investigators to have no contact with witnesses or their statements,

and the NTSB complied, the investigation was over, the cover-up

and Misprision of Felony Homicide had begun.

2. At the NTSB Public Hearing in December of 1997, the word

"witnesses" was not even mentioned. Before and since, they have

been ridiculed, slandered and liabled in official videotapes and

statements made by government spokesmen.

3. On March 15, 1999 the derailment of the Spirit of New Orleans

after she hit a steel truck at a railroad crossing in Bourbonnaise IL,

prompted a media wide call for witnesses by NTSB officials. It

seems a witness was needed to prove the truck had driven around

the safety gate. Apparently, investigations are much simpler and

witnesses more creditable for the NTSB when there is no White

House interest.

4. We have access to 107 witnesses on 4 aircraft, 19 boats, and 31

locations ashore. They were located in a 360 circle around the

missile engagement. Their live testimony alone will prove the

aircraft was shot down. This is why the Justice Department has

kept air crash investigators away from witnesses for 2 1/2 years

and also one reason they are conducting a malicious show-trial

prosecution of author and outside investigator James Sanders and

his wife. It's hard to interview witnesses from a Federal prison.

The FBI failed to identify and interview 17 of these people.

Among these 17 are witnesses on a boat who may have seen the

escaping shooter.

Justice Department suppression of Missile Evidence

1. It appears, aggressive FBI missile-team field agents eventually

solved the problem as to the cause of the crash, but had no support

in the FBI leadership. In fact, the FBI leadership seems to have

deliberately withheld vital information from their own agents.

2. George Gabrial, the senior FBI Agent on Long Island and

personal friend of Mr. Kalstrom, was a close witness on his boat.

We can provide witnesses who overheard him say he believed

what he observed was a missile. FBI missile-team members did not

know he was a witness until we informed them.

3. The FBI has videotape that was shown to military experts of a

missile shot from off the coast of Long Island that failed to engage

a target. This first attempt was nearly coincidental to the Khobar

Towers attack 3 weeks before Flight 800’s loss.

4. By late September, 1996, FBI missile-team members had

established informal liaison with military missile guidance experts.

By that time the FBI knew witnesses at sea on all sides were

pointing to a missile launch a few miles southeast of Flight 800's

explosion point. What they observed fit the profile of a

MANPADS missile engagement.

5. In December 1996, FBI missile team members told military

experts that two separate commercial fishermen dredged up and

threw back a MANPADS first stage, the missile ejector-motor can.

The ejector motor, about the size of a Coke can, fires in the tube,

ejecting the missile, then drops in the water when the missile 2nd

stage booster ignites.

6. The fishing vessel Alpha Omega recovered one of these motor

cans in early October, 1996, while trawling for scallops about 2

nautical miles from Flight 800's explosion point. The crewman, not

realizing the importance of his find, noted the two distinctive

ignition wires attached to the can before he threw it overboard.

7. Despite overwhelming forensic evidence of a weapon impact in

the number 2 main tank of the left wing and witness testimony of a

missile attack, the Administration would not fund military missile

experts or allow the FBI to trawl for missile parts until after the

November 1996 elections.

8. The Alpha Omega was one of five trawlers contracted by the

Navy Supervisor of Salvage for trawler operations. When FBI

agents finally came aboard in November 1996 to begin trawling

and brought pictures of three objects they were looking for, it was

that point the crewman told them they were too late, he had

already found and discarded an ejector can!

9. Responding to the previous findings, Special Agents Bongardt

and Otto took a live ejector motor can from a Stinger missile

aboard all the trawlers under contract, showing it to captain and

crew.

10. Interrogated for hours, the Alpha Omega crewman insisted the

can he found had the same features, ignition wires, etc. but was

somehow different.

11. That interrogation should have prompted the FBI leadership to

suspect they may have been dealing with the longer-range Chinese

Vanguard or Russian SA16/18 missiles.

12. It is clear from the Supervisor of Salvage's operational trawling

maps depicting "missile firing zones" and the FBI Trawling

Operations Manual in our possession, that the Justice Department's

intent was to find and hide from "other Interested Parties", missile

ejector cans, missile battery cooling units and the last Flight 800

Scavenge Pump the NTSB was trying to blame as a source of a

spark.

13. The $5 million trawling operation was funded by NTSB,

contracted to civilian scallop boats through the Navy Supervisor of

Salvage from 4 November 1996 until it was suddenly terminated

on 30 April 1997, yet the trawlers were manned 24 hours a day by

teams of FBI agents.
Up until 30 April 1997 the scallop boat

captains had been told the operation would continue indefinitely

for months or even years. FBI agents got the word via cell phone

to shut down the operations. On two of the boats, when the

captains refused to stop until the Navy contractor on board told

them to, the agents threatened force to make the captains shut

down. The first agent backed down when the captain told him he

would go anywhere at gunpoint, but the agent could expect to be

charged with piracy on the high seas when they got ashore. The

second agent backed down when the captain informed him that he

was armed also and he was the captain and they weren't going

anywhere!

14. The FBI's trawling plan was flawed in the following ways.

a. The missile firing zones depicted on the charts were 1.75 NM

and 2.7 NM radius circles. These distances are accurate for two

types of MANPADS but the Chinese Vanguard exceeds those

ranges.

b. They used the last transponder response from the aircraft as the

aircraft explosion point. The aircraft was travelling east over 2,900

feet between each transponder response. A two-second error

would move the trawling off by 1/4 mile.

c. They failed to notice, until December 1996, a recorded surface

radar contact only 2.9 NM from Flight 800 when it exploded!

d. They failed to identify that boat!

e. They failed to adjust the trawling lines to cover that boat's

surface track while it was in range of TWA Flight 800.

15. The FBI told military experts they had a witness who perfectly

described a MANPADS engagement terminating in an impact on

Flight 800’s left wing root. It includes boost; sustainer-motor burn

and total missile fly-out time typical of the US Stinger and its

copies.

16. Military thermal imaging of B747-100’s provided to the FBI

by China Lake Naval Air Weapons Facility, indicate a MANPADS

missile fired from a low forward quarter would guide toward the

three air pack exhaust ports, directly under the center wing tank

and not, as publicly stated for the engine nacelles. See attached

Thermal Imaging.

17. Military computer modeling of the TWA 800 engagement,

using Stinger data, shows the missile’s velocity would degrade to

400 meters per second as it climbed through 13,700 ft. This would

cause the circular error probability (CEP) to expand to 20 ft. or

more, allowing an impact almost anywhere on the aircraft.

18. Stinger guidance technology provides a last instant steer-

forward command to avoid a miss by flying through an engine

exhaust plume. Such a command would explain a missile, fired

from in front, steering for the air pack exhausts under the center

wing, impacting forward on the left wing root leading edge.

19. The Stinger, for example, has a two-pound warhead with three

fusing options, contact, penetration and time-out.

20. Using stinger missile fly-out data provided to the FBI by

military experts, the combined velocity of missile body and aircraft

at impact would be 1950 ft/sec.

21. If the cockpit voice recorder hasn't been tampered with, an

audio laboratory should be able to discern this velocity through its

analysis of recorded frequencies. This may be why the NTSB has

refused to allow the Cockpit Voice Recorder group to convene

and study the data generated from the Bruntingthorpe tests done in

England.

22. E = ½ MV2 would predict kinetic energy available at impact

of over 1.2 million foot pounds.

23. The kinetic energy from a missile body entering the number

two main, ¾ full of fuel, at mach 1.8 would cause the tank to burst

from hydraulic overpressurization.

24. Fused for penetration, the two-pound high explosive warhead,

bursting in the fuel could impart an additional 200-PSI spike of

hydraulic ram overpressure.

25. Jet fuel is over 700 times the density of air. A MANPADS

missile warhead’s fragments would be stopped in a few feet of

fuel, negating high velocity fragment damage to aircraft

components. Mr. Kalstrom’s public statements repeatedly used the

lack of high velocity fragment damage as an excuse to ignore

witnesses and shutdown the investigation.

26. The Navy China Lake missile impact "Quick Look Engineering

Study" identified 4 criteria for expected damage if a shoulder fired

missile hit a 747-100 inboard main fuel tank. All four are caused

by hydraulic over pressurization of fuel tanks. All four are in

evidence on the left wing. None of these criteria have ever been

seen in previous air crashes.

27. The China Lake report’s first two recommendations were to

detonate shoulder-fired missile warheads in fuel tanks to determine

if the fragments would be trapped and to do live firing of these

missiles at inboard main tanks to compare to left wing damage on

Flight 800.

28. Mr. Kalstrom ignored all seven recommendations; cherry

picked statements out of the China Lake report and used them out

of context in the media to argue the aircraft was not shot down.

29. When Mr. Kalstrom was faced with having to take action on

the China Lake report he chose to shut down the investigation.

30. At the time the FBI investigation was prematurely shut down

in November of 1997, the FBI had failed to identify a fast moving

boat captured on radar only 2.9 nautical miles from Flight 800

when it exploded. Mr. Schirilo, who replaced Mr. Kalstrom,

admitted that fact in a letter to Congressman Traficant.

31. After his retirement, Mr. Kalstrom was taped stating the boat

captured on radar was really a helicopter. Considering the radar

target was non-transponder and was tracked on the surface at

speed below 36 knots for 35 minutes prior to disappearing over the

horizon, even FBI agents have acknowledged Mr. Kalstrom’s

excuse is nonsense.

32. Witnesses afloat and ashore observed a six second missile burn

(Stinger rocket burn is 6 ½ seconds) coming from the near vicinity

of the unidentified boat.

33. Senior Justice Department officials need to be compelled to

answer under oath why testing essential to determine if Flight 800

was brought down by a shoulder fired missile was not funded and

why they ignored the forensic evidence, military experts, witnesses

and their own FBI field agents.

The search for the Black Boxes

1. Discovery of the plight of the Flight Data Recorder and Cockpit

Voice Recorder and their two Ducane pingers, after water entry,

may be the key to unlocking the cover-up. We can show a Grand

Jury how Mr. Clinton personally involved himself.

2. The NTSB is extremely sensitive to the subject of Black Boxes.

They opened the boxes without any investigators from the

Interested Parties present. They refused to allow TWA's

investigator to listen to the voice recorder more than once.

3. The Voice Recorder has a "sound like damaged tape" precisely

seven seconds prior to its end. Seven seconds prior to missile

impact would be coincidental to MANPADS booster ignition. A

visually bright event that could be seen by the First Officer.

4. Dr. Loeb has refused to release Addendum number two to the

Flight Data Recorder Analysis that was written to rebut our

interpretation of the last data line. The NTSB even refuses to let

the Voice Recorder Analysis group reconvene!

5. The Administration's explanation of the circumstances under

which the USS Grasp" divers found the Digital Flight Data

Recorder and the Cockpit Voice Recorder is highly questionable.

6. According to divers we interviewed and the Navy Supervisor of

Salvage Report, Navy divers from the USS Grasp found the

recorders during Dive #2 and Dive #3 on the evening of 23 July

1996. The Administration maintains these same divers found them

more than 24 hours later at 2330 hours on 24 July 1996. East

coast TV news coverage ends at 23:30.

7. The most probable motive for this deception was to ensure

investigators, who are Parties to the Investigation, were not

witnesses when NTSB/FBI officials were alleged to have first

opened the boxes in Washington during the early morning hours of

25 July 1996.

8. The boxes should have been found in the aircraft tail cone

section, or within its debris. Instead, divers from the Grasp found

each box 30 feet apart on a hard sand bottom, devoid of any

attached debris and neither Ducane Pinger was operating. They

appeared just as they would if dropped overboard from a boat!

9. Somehow both Ducane Systems fixed themselves while in FBI

custody. They were found to be fault-free in laboratory test days

later.

10. The small cylindrical Ducane Pingers are mounted on the

narrow front face of each oblong rectangular box. They are

protected from damage because they are bolted firmly to the inside

angle of a short piece of angle iron. Because of their shape, the

probability of either free falling box landing on the bottom with the

pinger stuck in the sand, would be akin to a free falling domino

landing on it's end and remaining standing in that position.

11. The only way Ducane Pingers can be silenced under water

without evidence of damage is by partly unscrewing the battery

connection.

12. The probability of both undamaged Ducane Pingers failing

simultaneously in a shallow open ocean environment, on top of a

hard sand bottom, approaches that of a spontaneous aviation

kerosene explosion in an ignition-free Boeing 747-100 fuel tank.

13. We consider the fact the NTSB has remained mute about

these alleged Ducane failures is Prima Facie evidence of either

abject incompetence on the part of the NTSB who should have

opened an inquiry into the cause, or proof of a cover-up of NTSB

misconduct.

14. Weeks Marine, Inc. was verbally contracted by both the Coast

Guard and FAA officials the night of the crash to position for

salvage operations. They were on site the next morning with the

best salvage equipment available in the Atlantic. It was superior to

Navy assets, but Weeks Marine was stood down by the NTSB. It

would be five more days before Navy divers would be on scene to

recover recorders, bodies, etc! Why the forced wait?

15. Holding Weeks Marine, Inc. to standby while ordering Navy

assets to respond from far away points deliberately condemned

victims trapped in bottom wreckage to five additional days of

ravage by natural elements. This grossly compounded the grief of

the families and put at risk the ability of medical examiners to

identify all remains. The White House was responsible for this

order.

16. Circumstantial evidence indicates the Administration, knowing

the aircraft to be shot down, may have ordered a covert recovery,

laboratory examination and reinsertion of the recorders to ensure

the aircrew did not describe the attack on audio tape. Scuba divers

could have recovered the recorders on the afternoon of 18 July

and dropped them back overboard after 10 am 22 July, before the

USS Grasp and Navy divers were on scene. During that period of

time NOAA research vessel Rude and the motor vessel Pirouette

were simultaneously sent 5 miles off the main debris field on a

"wild goose chase" by the NTSB. Both ships had been mapping

that field with side scan sonar!

17. Properly done, a scuba team equipped with a Ducane locator

amplifier tube, held over the side, could position a small boat

directly over active Pingers, dive and recover the boxes in a single

effort. Active pingers can be detected by divers300 yards away.

18. We have a witness that has passed a polygraph test and has

provided a sworn affidavit that a member of the NTSB leadership

told him the recorders were found and examined by 20 July. The

Coast Guard told both TWA maintenance and Congressman

Forbes that the recorders were found on 18 July
. The next day, 19

July, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence was told the

aircraft was shot down by terrorists. Senators Hatch and D'Amato

made public statements to the same effect.

19. White House, NTSB and Justice Department officials need to

be compelled to explain these events and their actions under oath.

We also have other individuals who have asked to remain

anonymous who should be questioned under oath.

20. Despite a steep learning curve and the best efforts of some if

its most aggressive field agents, FBI leadership has demonstrated

itself to be functionally illiterate in the critical areas of; military

weapons and tactics, radar interpretation and air crash

investigation. The fact the White House failed to immediately

assign appropriate elements of the Department of Defense as lead

investigators in the missile inquiry is inculpatory.

21. Gentlemen, we have the "FBI Trawler Operations Manual"

and Operations Order as well as other documents left behind

aboard a contract boat by FBI agents. If found, the Justice

Department intended to hide from your companies; the last fuel

scavenge pump, a missile ejector can and the missile battery

cooling unit!

TWA Flight 800 was the 27th civil aircraft shot down worldwide

by shoulder fired missiles. The Administration’s actions have

greatly increased the danger of a recurrence, not only because of

the deception of this case but because administration policy

deliberately fails to link any terrorist act to the government of the

Sponsor State. This provides political cover for the

Administration's lack of action and sanctuary to deadly enemies.

I will point out the coincidence of the Clinton Administration's pro

Arab, anti Israeli policy shift and the arrival on our shores of a

creditable anti-aircraft threat under the control of rogue states. In

1994, the Maryland State Police found a fully armed French

MANPADS missile, the Mistral, ready to fire on its tripod, directly

under a heavily used air corridor near Westminster Maryland.

Our research also found U.S. Stinger technology transferred to

China in the early 90’s enabling them to produce the Vanguard, a

quality shoulder fired Chinese missile. It was deployed first in

1996. If past history is an indicator, the China / Iran weapons

transfer link bodes ill for future air commerce.

In a worse case scenario, absent a respected American

Commander-in-Chief, Iran’s Supreme Council, or other rogue

state, could successfully shutdown or disrupt major traffic hubs

worldwide by activating surrogate cells armed with Vanguard. If

they can shoot down one, why not a half dozen on a single day?

Gentlemen, the time to act is now, regardless of any arrangements

you may or may not have had to accept. Once the American

people understand the truth, your corporations will be indemnified

against any further political extortion from this administration.

We would ask, in the interest of long term air safety, that you take

an aggressive and public pro-active stance. Challenge the

Administration; educate the media and the electorate. Severance

from a politicized and fraudulent Federal investigation is no

penalty and maintenance of the status quo is certainly no prize.

Sincerely,

William S. Donaldson

http://www.all-natural.com/twa800.html

This letter was written in 1999. It would seem that Boeing and TWA had the hook in too deep to embrace his offer and SPEAK OUT.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 13, 1997, Tuesday
NEWS CONFERENCE

WEBWIRE-HOLDS NEWS CONFERENCE TO REPEAT HIS ASSERTION THAT TWA FLIGHT 800 WAS SHOT DOWN BY A MISSILE

SPEAKER:
PIERRE SALINGER, FORMER WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY

FORMER WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY AND OTHERS HOLD A NEWSCONFERENCE ON THE DOWNING OF FLIGHT TWA 800

SPEAKERS: PIERRE SALINGER, INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST AND FORMER PRESS SECRETARY TO PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY

JAMES SANDERS, AUTHOR, THE DOWNING OF TWA FLIGHT 800

GLEN SCHULZE, AVIATION RADAR EXPERT

PAUL DINAS, KENSINGTON PUBLISHING CORP.

DINAS: Thanks for coming this afternoon. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Paul Dinas. I'm the editor in chief of Kensington Books, the publisher of The Downing of TWA Flight 800. And we'd like to welcome you here today to cover this event.

We called this press conference today in response to what we believe is the ongoing efforts by the federal government to cover up the truth about what really happened in the tragic air disaster that caused the deaths of 230 innocent people nearly one year ago aboard Flight TWA 800.

We believe that a missile brought down TWA Flight 800. And The Downing of TWA by Jim Sanders is the first book-length work that has seriously analyzed all the available data in support of the missile theory.

The author, Jim Sanders, has been stalked by federal agencies. His journalistic privilege to protect his sources has been jeopardized and threatened, his evidence confiscated. His publisher was subpoenaed by the FBI for documents relating to the book.

National media venues have been canceled at the last minute because the federal authorities have refused to participate with Sanders in an honest discussion of the facts.

Disinformation and intimidation by the FBI and other agencies have prevented the truth to be revealed to the American people -- until now, until the publication of The Downing of TWA Flight 800.

Today, Jim Sanders is here to answer questions. He is joined by Pierre Salinger, one of the earliest and strongest voices in support of the missile theory, and Glen Schulze, aviation radar tape expert and a former Defense Department consultant who has studied the data available on TWA Flight 800 extensively.

What we'd like to do today is to have each of these men give a brief statement and then open up the floor for questions.

There are books and supporting documentation on the far table back there, which you are welcome to take with you. And I'd like to introduce now Jim Sanders, the author of The Downing of TWA Flight 800.

SANDERS: I'm here primarily to answer questions. And originally, when this was called, it was to go over the FAA radar tapes. But since the photos have -- the NTSB photos -- have started coming out of the right and left side of Flight 800 here, I think I brought enough technical information along to bore most of you and answer some serious questions to others after this is over.

I would like to -- one of the things I hope people would like to talk to me about when we're answering questions are the eight pages from the TAGS report that are not addressed. These -- everything that feel off the plane before the center wing tank exploded -- are not addressed in the government's own sequencing report.

The plane went 4,700 feet with this stuff falling off it, with seats over these three rows right here going out the left side of the plane, not the right side of the plane, proving as a for instance, this hole right here was a later happening because if this hole during the decompression had opened up, of course, you would have had bodies,
seats, and cabin debris coming out both sides of the plane when it -- for the first eight second -- it came out exclusively from the left side of the plane.

And the other things that need to be pointed out -- when you look at this, you will notice that surrounding the center wing tank here the catastrophic event that's supposed to have started everything is nothing but what looks like white tags. They're actually green tags, which means it fell at the last.

It was among the last debris to fall -- not among the first debris to fall.

If you look down here towards the bottom, the one hole that's not addressed in this entire thing -- down here, surrounding it are red tags from the R-2 (ph) door right here down to here where this hole is -- those were the initial things to fall off the airplane.

And then in front of that is the yellow tags where the front end of the plane -- eight seconds into the breakup -- finally left the body of the aircraft.

Those kinds of things are what I would hope to be answering after we get done talking about the radar tapes.

SANDERS: Thank you.

DINAS: Glen Schulze, a radar tape expert, has a brief statement about the radar tape material.

SCHULZE: These are the famous nine video radar frame images that were published in the Paris Match magazine in March 13 of this year. And I'm going to base most of my remarks on these nine frames plus the statement from the FBI, Mr. Kallstrom, that occurred eight days later on the 21st of March regarding the analysis of these frames. In fact, he actually used some of these frames to analyze what happened that night.

In order to fully analyze these nine frames, you need to know -- you need to have a road map of what these symbols mean. And that's where I'm going to be critical of the FBI's analysis, because they apparently did not have the correct symbology.

It took me a little while to find the correct symbols. I know the FAA and the NTSB have Web sites, which have interesting information on what's happening inside their agencies. So I thought I could quickly go there and find symbologies that would help me figure out what a forward-stroke bar meant, which Mr. Kallstrom calls a "cigar," and what the other symbols meant.

I had to finally resort to a public bookstore, Barnes and Noble in Denver, and this is a book by Mr. Paul Illman, who's an ex-TWA employee, just by happenstance, entitled "Aeronautical Knowledge" -- third edition -- "A Pilot's Handbook."

On page 289, you have the two most common air traffic controller radar screen symbologies and their definitions. They describe the five different type target symbols and they describe the various alpha-numeric codes that are affixed to those symbols.

With this chart -- with this symbology chart, which by the way, I've checked with Mr. Illman before I arrived, before I left for this meeting, and he assures me that he's working on a current edition, which will be the fourth out of this series, and that these charts are correct. These charts come straight from the FAA library.

Eight days after those nine frames were displayed in the Paris Match magazine, James Kallstrom made the following statement. He said that the "blip belonged to an unarmed Navy P-3 Orion that was flying at 20,000 feet, with the knowledge of the air traffic controllers, but without a working transponder."

"Without a working transponder" turns out to be a symbol of a single dot or a small cross for the FAA's own symbology chart. The symbol that Mr. Kallstrom was referring to was a forward stroke. A forward stroke symbol means that the plans has a beacon transponder, exactly opposite to what Mr. Kallstrom said.

Secondly, he said it was flying with the air traffic controllers' knowledge. The forward stroke also indicates an uncorrelated target. "Uncorrelated" means the air traffic controllers have no previous knowledge of the flight plan of that tape -- of that plane. So Mr. Kallstrom is wrong on both accounts.

He further goes on and says, "when your transponder is not on, it shows on the radar screen as a solid line." That is not correct. It shows on as a dot or a small cross.

Now, the -- up to this point, this is a factual challenge to the information developed from the Paris Match frames now. This is Mr. Kallstrom analyzing the Paris Match frames. In that process, I think he validates the Paris Match frames, as well as the geometrical analysis that I have performed on the images from that tape plus another tape.

Based on this, we think the whole question of the radar tapes from TWA 800 needs to be critically reviewed. Thank you, Paul.

DINAS: Then we have Pierre Salinger to make a brief statement.

SALINGER: Thank you. I just want to add a few things on the radar tape situation, because what Mr. Schulze is saying is of high importance, because when Richard Russell got the radar tape, he brought in three specialists, who were radar specialists, to look at that tape and to give him information that he had in his mind that he was seeing a missile on that tape and that that missile was touching TWA 800. The E-3 specialist confirmed what he had told him.

And the second thing that was interesting that happened was when Richard Russell came to Europe to join us, we were preparing our work for the Paris Match. Obviously, we had our -- I mean, I had my first look at the radar tape, and we were studying it. And then, of course, we brought Paris Match in to see the tape. And we allowed them to photograph almost every four seconds pieces of that tape.

I mean, this is part of what Mr. Schulze is showing you. But they have probably 55 or 60 photos that are very important that show what's going on.

But what was interesting was that they said, listen, before we publish this, we've got to get a French radar specialist to take a look at this tape, because we want to confirm it from our standpoint, from our side, what you're saying that this is a missile going up in this tape. He brought in this fellow. We said, fine.

He brought in this radar specialist. He looked at it for about 45 minutes, and he says, listen, everything that these guys are saying is absolutely true. That's why Paris Match went forward on publishing this whole thing, which has played a very important role.

And as Mr. Schulze has told you, the fact that the FBI has been saying that what we're saying about it is wrong -- I hate to say this -- but what they're saying is wrong, and what we're saying is right, is what's seen on this radar tape.

I just want to tell you one kind of weird story, because it's one that could very well happen in the United States as well. I don't know how many of you know something that happened in 1969.

There was a young man. And I know his -- it's not his mother, because she's not married to his father, but she knew him. And what happened is that he in November was in Corsica, and he went on a flight to Nice, because he wanted to see some friends.

The flight was about halfway across the Mediterranean when it exploded, and it plunged into the sea. Obviously, it plunged much deeper into the sea than TWA 800.

Of course, people in France were very interested. How did this happen? How did this happen? It went on year after year after year after year. And ten years later, the French government came out with a report saying, ah, we apologize. We forgot to tell you that we shot that plane down with a missile.

Let's hope it's not going to take ten years to find out the truth about TWA 800.

DINAS: OK. I'd like to open the floor for questions. And if it gets to be too crazy, I'll moderate.

QUESTION: Mister -- I'm sorry -- Schulze, if you're an expert on radar tapes -- and I don't even know if, you know, it's proper to get into a debate over technicalities that nobody in this room's a specialist in. But if you're an expert on radar tapes -- which by the way, is not reflected on your resume -- why do you need public literature to find out symbolism?

QUESTION: What exactly is your background? Your resume indicates you did some telemetry work and some sonar expertise.

SCHULZE: And...

QUESTION: And secondly, a two part -- you know, they were saying a lot of other things also that don't indicate this was a missile, that all these things are far apart and were overlaid.

SCHULZE: Let me answer the resume question first, and then we'll come back to the second question. In the mid-1950s, right after graduating with a degree in electrical engineering, I was -- found myself stationed at the courtesy of the U.S. Army in a White Sands missile range.

At that point in time, my assignment was a -- my MOS was 1394, which stands for electronic engineering assistant. My task at that point was debugging a chain radar system network which had over-the- horizon capability.

This was at White Sands, New Mexico. And if you're familiar with the White Sands range, that range is 90 miles long. If you're launching from the main camp C station, and you're trying to lock a radar on it up at Oscara (ph) Peak -- which is 90 miles away -- your radar antennas will be pointed into the desert floor about 100 yards in front of the site.

As the missile is launched, the radar at C station will track it because it has the closest range. It's radar coordinates were digitized. This is back in 1953. Digital radar data was transmitted by microwave to five uprange stations -- Alamogordo, Oscara (ph) Peak, and North Oscara (ph) Peak, and South Oscara (ph) Peak.

The chain network functioned to automatically reposition the upbringing stations on target through this digital radar system. When the system was installed, it did not work for the first two years.

The system was finally debugged by seven corporals in the U.S. Army. And these seven corporals all received letters of commendation from the commanding officer of the 4th Army. I was the lead engineer in that team of seven corporals.

In the mid-1970s, I was invited to the FAA engineering facility in Atlantic City to see if it was possible to digitally record the radar images from controller screens. This is 20 years ago, 1975.

The -- that invitation was extended to three different companies. I was the lead application engineer on one. We went in and spent about four weeks that summer connecting to their equipment and playing back tapes, as did the other two vendors.

All three vendors passed the test. A procurement speck was written with my help and was to come forth as a publication from the FAA as a request to quote. Three months passed, no request to quote. Six months passed, no request to quote. Nine months passed, no request to quote.

When we finally got to the lead engineer, and said, what's happened to your request to quote for these record -- recorder systems. We were looking to sell hundreds of them. He said the attorneys inside the FAA thought it was not a good idea to have a tape recording record of what the controllers were seeing during an incident.

From that time on, I've had other radar stints (ph), but I'll just let it with those two. Now, I don't -- didn't quite follow your other question about overlays and things.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) even granting what you're saying is correct -- whatever -- are you saying that that indicates either that the government was wrong in its interpretation, or based on your expertise, that that shows there was a missile there?

SCHULZE: The only expertise it took for me to find out that the FBI was falsely interpreting those symbols was to not be intimidated by the question of looking at radar tapes, which I was dying to see because I had hoped that they would be doing that back in 1975 for the public safety.

SCHULZE: So all I did was take the symbols in the standard FR -- FAA manuals and see how they interpreted, along with what Kallstrom had said, and he was exactly mistaken. He was confusing non-beaconed target blips with beaconed target blips.

Now, if that is not understandable, then we have no hope, then, to convey this to the public. When you can't tell the difference between a target that is doing an electronic handshake with the FAA ground station and one that is, and you can't tell a correlated one from an uncorrelated one, you can't analyze those tapes.

QUESTION: Does that mean the government's wrong? Are you saying that that shows there's a missile?

SCHULZE: To me, it shows that the whole question of how deeply have those radar tapes been analyzed is up for grabs. Now, let me give you another little philosophy of mine on what I think this means. It means that the original explanation that Kallstrom gave on the 21st of March successfully erased from people's memories and from the table the question of what two FAA controllers said the night of the 17th and the morning of the 18th of July.

On the 17th of -- the evening of the 17th, one of the FAA controllers was quoted in the press as saying, "There was a mysterious blip that merged with TWA 800." The next morning, a call was received at one of the NTSB offices by an FAA controller -- both of these were out of the New York control center. He was the first one to use the word missile in this story, as I go back and look at my information. He was quoted as saying to the NTSB, there is evidence that TWA may have been hit by a missile.

Now, all I'm doing with my radar analysis is bringing these two statements back on the table, because Kallstrom's explanation of the Paris Match frames does not carry any water with me.

QUESTION: I really don't want to be argumentative, but every time we write one of these stories, and it's denied by the government, all the families call us up, and say, why are you putting you through this torture again? And you're -- once again, I just want to make it clear -- I'm here in part because you were identified as a radar expert. And by your own admission, you know, you've had very limited experience in radar. And your knowledge and analysis is based on some public document.

I mean, so -- how would -- what do you say to the families? I don't think it's fair to say you are a radar expert.

SCHULZE: I appreciate your comments about the family. Before I made this trip, I talked with John and Eleanor Seaman, who are members of one of the TWA families. And they told me that when conferences like this are held, it is tough on the TWA families. But I had to make a decision, what's tougher? To let this go on and on for ten months without a resolution.

Now, what's your definition of a radar expert?

QUESTION: I would think it was somebody who doesn't have to go to a public library to get out a book, somebody who could look at a radar screen and identify what's going on by itself.

SCHULZE: Well, I was suspicious before I went to the library. But when I come to a press conference, I want to be prepared with something that is not challengeable. Now, isn't it the subject, why did Mr. Kallstrom identify these targets as not having their beacons turned on when the frames he's analyzing clearly have them? Isn't that the subject? To me, that's the subject.

Now, as regarding the definition of an expert -- let me help you out with a definition here. I think if you take a cut of the public, and you have, say, 100,000 people -- just people walking around on the street -- I think I would rank at the top of those 100,000 people in being able to look at these charts, convert these charts into terminologies that I think you people can understand.

So in that regard I think I don't need to be a radar designer, but I need to understand radar, and I need not to be intimidated when I see these frames come to me in Paris Match.

Yes.

QUESTION: Do these frames show a missile?

SCHULZE: I can't say that. The first time I used missile in my explanation was when I quoted the FAA controller who called in the next day and said, a missile may have struck TWA 800.

SCHULZE: All I'm saying is that that statement plus the previous statement the night before that a target -- a mysterious target -- merged with TWA should be brought back on the table. They have not been explained.

QUESTION: Do these frames show a mysterious target?

SCHULZE: This frame shows mysterious, unidentified targets, yes.

QUESTION: Did you listen to the cockpit voice recorders (OFF- MIKE)?

SCHULZE: No, I have not.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE).

SCHULZE: Sure.

QUESTION: I've had long conversations with the captain down there in Florida that released this original...

SCHULZE: Captain Russell.

QUESTION: Right. And I'm a retired Navy commander, and I've got a lot of experience with radar and a lot of experience with missiles.

What he told me -- just to relieve the assault on your position here -- I'm very much convinced it was a missile because what I -- what I got from that conversation was that he showed three consecutive skin paint radar returns on an unidentified object, airborne, that was traveling faster than Mach 1.

Anything else -- now, is that your view? Do you agree with what...

SCHULZE: Yes. I agree with that.

QUESTION: OK. Now, unless we had a pair of supersonic airliner arriving at New York, putting the brakes on in seconds, there was something out there travelling that fast. And anybody in this room that doesn't believe that, they need to go into the science books.

And I'll tell you something else, scientifically. That airplane did not blow up at 13,800 feet from that tank. It's a physical impossibility. If you do -- if you go into the math, the tank temperature has to be at 138 degrees Fahrenheit in order to get the vapor pressure that's explosive.

We're being led down a primrose path by the government. I don't necessarily agree with the conclusion that you gentlemen have come to here, but I think the airplane was shot down. I think all those eyewitnesses that saw it saw exactly what they would see with a successful engagement of a surface-to-air missile. I don't think the...

QUESTION: Excuse me, could I ask a question please? If we could return to the press conference, can I ask Mr. Sanders a question?

On this fifth item in the sequence -- sixth item in the sequence of events about the vibration travelling at 2,000 feet per second -- travelled through the 747's frame. A bomb vibration travels at less than 350 feet per second.

Could you explain how you came to that conclusion, whether you are -- what you are measuring? Whether you're measuring cabin air or whether you're measuring -- how do you know the difference, and how do you know how fast the bomb vibration travels?

SANDERS: Because the investigators who went to the meeting and went through this process in January, I had sources on the inside who gave me the analysis that was given to them that night as they went through the entire process. And what he...

QUESTION: There's no proof from an engineering standpoint how you calculate the speed of sound being transferred through aluminum...

SANDERS: No, I don't know. I'm not an engineer. I'm getting from them, on the inside, as they were advised of this at a meeting in Washington, DC. What was explained to me as a layman is you do have sound waves going through the air versus vibrations going through the frame and that through the frame is by far the faster.

QUESTION: Right.

SANDERS: And I was told that it was measured at 2,000 feet per second. And that was, you know, that was a round figure, obviously. And the question was, well, what would it be if it was a bomb? And they said, less than 350. My recollection is they said 340 feet per second, of which there's considerable experience.

QUESTION: In other words, the source of the noise changes the rate at which it moves through the -- through the frame of the airplane? Is that what you're saying?

SANDERS: The source of the noise -- well, I would imagine that the incident...

QUESTION: ... The cockpit voice recorder captures the sound.

SANDERS: Right.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) it captures vibration. The source of the vibration, whether it was a bomb or whether it was something physically striking the frame, changes the speed at which that (OFF- MIKE)...

SANDERS: (OFF-MIKE) I was advised two things. One is that the actual -- sorry about that, whoever that is -- the actual sound itself was an unique sound that had never been heard before.

SANDERS: And that the speed of the vibration was something that they had never encountered before.

QUESTION: Speed meaning its frequency?

SANDERS: No, feet per second.

QUESTION: Well, how do you know what that was?

SANDERS: I was told that by people after they came back from...

QUESTION: How did they know what that was?

SANDERS: (OFF-MIKE) they were the ones at the meeting going over it.

QUESTION: And these are government people, you say?

SANDERS: Yes, these are investigators inside the investigation that were there. They specifically went down to Washington, DC, for a briefing. There were more than 20 of them. Some of this is been out in public, because you get more than 20 investigators who aren't in a particularly good mood anyway, from what I was told, and some of this -- part of this did end up in the press earlier. But the 2,000 feet per second, to the best of my knowledge, hasn't.

QUESTION: Why hasn't the audio version of the cockpit voice recorder been released?

SANDERS: I could only guess at that. If it had been released, then independent analysis could be done on this very question. Now, whether it's going to be released, I don't know.

QUESTION: Has TWA, in any way, directly or indirectly, encouraged you or paid for any one of you or your associates for any research that's being conducted in your book?

SANDERS: I can only speak for myself. Absolutely not.

SCHULZE: Absolutely not. No.

QUESTION: Mr. Schulze, don't you work for a firm that specializes in airplane (OFF-MIKE)?

SCHULZE: No, I do not.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE).

SCHULZE: Kirtland (ph) Packard is a law firm in Los Angeles that I did some previous aviation accident work for.

QUESTION: They're the leading aviation negligence firm on the West Coast?

SCHULZE: It is. Do I work for them? I did two small investigations of aviation accidents in California for them. That last one was five years ago.

DINAS: Would you mind if I jumped in here for a second? It might be useful to show -- to give a track on how Glen actually came to be here today. I mean, it's a very useful story, and it's something that relates directly to this whole controversy.

Glen was, you know -- is an expert, and he wrote to Jim Sanders via our company. He did a detailed 5-7 page report on his own -- on his own motivation relating to this radar issue. It came to Jim through our publicity department, and that's how we got in contact with Glen. Glen is -- was a concerned citizen, as we all are, very concerned about that this information that's being promulgated by the government sources. And that's why he contacted us, and as a result, he is here today. So I just want to lay that on the table now. Thanks.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) Mr. Sanders, I saw three or so reports over the weekend about how the government's trying to wrap this thing up. Not one of the reports mentioned the eyewitnesses who saw either a missile or a streak of light going towards the plane. How do you think the government is going to discredit those accounts?

SANDERS: I think they're going to try to ignore them, and unless you people of the press force them to address each and every one of them, they can simply ignore it, because there's much more than what you've just said.

First of all, those areas went hot -- those military areas south and east of Long Island went hot that night, and they lied about it. They told Dave Hendricks, who got a heads up from a Navy -- long-time Navy source of his, within 72 hours that those areas -- it was specifically, this Navy source said, W-105 -- had gone hot that night and friendly fire had brought the plane down.

So Dave immediately called up the FBI and the Navy, and asked them about it. And they said, well, no, nothing of any consequence was going on that night. After that, the FAA -- someone inside the FAA gave Dave the documents proving that those areas went hot that night. He calls up the Navy and says: I'm going to fax you these documents. I want a comment. And the Navy said: if you send them, we will throw them away. We will not comments. Call the FBI.

SANDERS: The FBI, Kallstrom's PR man, whose name escapes me -- it starts with a "V" -- told him the exact same thing.

So it starts with that night, with those things being hot. Those are key questions. There was the 34 highly credible -- that's the government's own word. Their military missile experts interviewed the 154 people who came forward. They said these are 34 highly credible witnesses that saw a missile come rise out of the ocean and strike Flight 800.

And you, of course, have Chris Bauer. In my mind, it should have been front page news across America when Chris Bauer, captain in the 106th Air National Guard -- finally, the information that I have known about from the inside from the investigators that we had as sources had -- apologized for that -- had -- for months, I had known that Chris Bauer had said that he saw a missile going east to west, and he saw it impact Flight 800. That finally came out through an "Aviation Week" story through an interview with Major Meyer (ph) who was in the plane at same time. And it...

QUESTION: The co-pilot said the opposite. Could you explain that?

SANDERS: His co-pilot -- his co-pilot said he took his eye off the ball. He did not see anything impact Flight 800.

QUESTION: The co-pilot gave a completely contradictory account.

(UNKNOWN): They both said there was something streaking towards the plane, then striking it.

(UNKNOWN): It was the direction that was contrary.

SANDERS: Right. That -- that -- you know, whether it was east to west or west to east, Captain Bauer saw it the whole time in. Major Meyer (ph), by his own admission -- and I've gone back and listened to that tape again, because they -- Meyer (ph) was asked about it within 24 hours on tape. Bauer didn't -- was not asked anything about it at that time. And it's only this where it's come out.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) that's the problem. I mean, you're a wonderful guy and it's fun talking to you, but you talk about Bauer and you leave Meyer (ph) out. I mean, you have two guys sitting in the same plane, looking in the same direction, and they both report contrary things. And you chose to talk about...

SANDERS: There's 34 highly credible witnesses who say the same thing as Bauer. And Bauer is the one who, to this day, cannot talk to the press. So I think that's highly relevant. Meyer can (ph); Bauer can't. I think you all know what his story is.

I mean, it's not like we're hiding that one. I mean, that one's been out there for a long time. We're just trying to put out what is being said by Bauer.

(UNKNOWN): They both saw a streak of light.

SALINGER: I want to add to this. This is one of the most important things on this case. Now, we have documents on some of these people who have given their evidence on the missiles that are going up. I think that the Senate Intelligence Committee could start next week and have hearings and bring in those people who have been hidden away by the government and let them testify before the public and explain what they saw and what happened at that very night.

And bring in other witnesses who have also disappeared. Let's go this into a big event and have the Senate Intelligence Committee do a study.

QUESTION: Mr. Salinger, are you being paid anything by Kensington Publishers, or Mr. Schulze, for that matter?

SALINGER: Not a word. I haven't been paid by anybody to do this investigation. I'm doing it for myself. Oh, wait a minute. I have to tell you the truth. I did get paid a little bit by Paris Match. Not very much.

QUESTION: Mr. Salinger, which witnesses have disappeared?

SALINGER: Well, I'm not going to talk about those witnesses that disappeared. But if the Senate Intelligence Committee comes up tomorrow morning, I'll give them the names.

SCHULZE: I'm not being paid by Kensington Press. They have picked up my expenses.

QUESTION: I've got a question here, Mr. Schulze. I'm sorry I missed your presentation. Maybe you've already covered this. But can one of you tell us what the qualifications are of James Hall to be an aircraft accident investigator?

SCHULZE: All I can say is he's a political appointee, and that's the only comment I have.

SANDERS: I'm not aware of his qualifications in that or Kallstrom's either for that matter.

QUESTION: Well, what could I haul up -- he sent a letter to the FAA asking them to agree that there was no evidence of a missile. Have you talked about that, the FAA (OFF-MIKE) prior to that letter?

SANDERS: No, that hasn't been discussed yet.

QUESTION: Will you discuss that, because I think here's the NTSB meeting leaning on the FAA to say that the radar tape shows no missile, and the FAA apparently did not go along with that.

SANDERS: It is a rather interesting series. You have the NTSB chairman's report of November 15 that says that the FAA technicians at the scene analyzed it and believed that a missile intercepted Flight 800's path, and that information was first sent to the White House.

On December 26 -- and also there was an assignment given out for an NTSB person to write a letter to the FAA and at that -- the letter is just incredible in terms of it -- to paraphrase it -- and I don't think you'll find any disagreement on that. It says, here's what we want you to say, ain't nothing to this whole thing. And the significant part of the response is that the technicians will not go along with it. They clearly wouldn't go along with it.

I strongly believed that they would have gotten that statement if the technicians themselves, the FAA technicians, would have said, OK, we'll go along with it. But they didn't. So it is really an extraordinary series of letters.

QUESTION: What in your view is the government's motive for engaging in this cover-up and threatening of witnesses and the disappearance of witnesses? Is it connected to the Whitewater?

(LAUGHTER)

I mean, what is happening here?

SANDERS: In terms of threats, I can only discuss myself and my wife. And after that, it went to the White House. Their own documents -- and the FAA has backed this up in their documents. It went to the White House. It entered the political realm. It certainly entered the national security realm, and that will be the last question that can possibly answered in this entire investigation.

SCHULZE: The question about letters being exchanged back and forth between the NTSB and the FAA -- the FAA responding letter, which was just described by Mr. Sanders, also had a recognition that the controllers that night were very stressed out because they had seen what they thought was almost a near miss. Now, I haven't seen this in any of the U.S. presses -- that along with all of the other clouds we have hanging over TWA 800, we now have the controllers saying that there was almost a near miss that night.

Now, those of you that read the West Coast papers will know that last week over in Los Angeles two jumbo jets -- one a 747 that had just spent 10 hours in the air coming from Amsterdam, KLM, and another jumbo jet, an (OFF-MIKE), coming from Japan; total of 754 people on board -- showed up as a near miss on a controller's screen, and they went into orbit, as reported by their lead technician. These things are important.

By the way, these two planes came -- later, by analyses, came to within an estimated 200 to 400 feet of each other both trying to land on one of the same runways -- one of the parallel runways in Los Angeles. So radar blips do merge on radar screens, and they do mean something.

QUESTION: What would this show? I mean, if you were to prove that there was, that a missile was fired at a TWA flight, what would it show?

QUESTION: And why would the government be so interested in hiding this?

SANDERS: I think the "why" question cannot be answered until everything is on the table. I just don't see any possible way -- I wish I had a National Security Council source; I don't. Even then, I'm not sure you'd get the entire thing, because when politics and national security all come together, outside-the-Beltway logic doesn't apply. I challenge anybody to seriously question that.

So trying to use everyday logic to figure out why on earth people do the things that they do in this element, this realm, I just don't think it can be done at this point.

QUESTION: You say in your book that the Navy was testing its state-of-the-art Aegis system, and that when the missile was fired at a drone plane, that the radar just froze or locked. If this was the -- you said this was the pride and joy of the U.S. Navy, this particular system. Well, how could it all of a sudden just freeze?

SANDERS: Well, it's an extraordinary program. It started informally back in the '80s when the Vincennes shot down the wide-body Iranian airliner and one of our destroyers or cruisers was hit accidentally by an Exocet missile. An awful lot of thinking and preparation went into that, and I understand that actually they've been working on something like this at some level since the 1950s.

But it is quite a program for the future. We assume -- the Navy through its literature and the Army and the Air Force -- they assume that we are going to have combat in shallow waters such as the Arabian Sea. And right now, without the protection of a radar and software system -- because the software system controls the radars, and it makes the decision on the shoot, don't shoot, and even which ship...

(AUDIO GAP)

... before they could sign it off for combat. And that included the electronic jamming. That included launch of a drone over land clutter. It included having civilian aircraft within range of the radar. And it included having our military aircraft in a situation where the radar then had to -- and the software then had to be able to distinguish between the bad guys, the friendlies and the commercials.

And all of these things were there that night. That's why I point at the CEC (ph). It had to have been signed off by September, and that's why that's in there.

QUESTION: But what went wrong? I mean, you're saying this is the pride and joy of the U.S. Navy. (OFF-MIKE) system is practically foolproof. And then, all of a sudden, this one night it just freezes?

SANDERS: Well, I don't think I said it was foolproof. I hope someday that it is foolproof, because it's something that's going to save an awful lot of lives. No question about that. But what in fact happened -- it didn't freeze. I mean, you add new elements to each test to get more and more realistic for combat. And if you launch that missile and you lose your radars from electronic jamming, you've lost control of your missiles under combat conditions.

So -- yes.

QUESTION: I heard a story the other day. I'm sorry I wasn't paying very much attention to it, but maybe you can clear it up. It had something to do with a material that was found amongst the remains of Flight 800 that someone said may have been the remnants of missile fuel, and perhaps, the government response was something about it being glue for the seats.

SANDERS I think that's one of the controversies that I think we -- we definitely need congressional hearings. I received -- I did not go steal it, and I did not conceal it; a couple of legal points here -- I received two pieces of residue from rows 17, 18 and 19. Let me show you.

I don't know if from back there you can see this.

SANDERS: But these black spots here -- this is where investigators inside the hangar, after they were made aware, they saw a difference in some of the seats from the others. And they saw reddish-orange residue in a very limited area.

I specifically asked them to go eyeball it and give me the row and seat numbers on them. These were the row and seat numbers they gave me -- in row 17, 18 and 19. And then they go, oh, by the way, in August the FBI took samples from row 17, 18 and 19. They didn't take them from throughout the airplane, and there wasn't a reddish-orange from throughout the airplane. It was in three rows.

I had it analyzed, and I don't see it right here. But give me a second because I think copies of this are back there. It's important to go through what's in this glue.

First, we talked to Webber Seats, and Webber Seats said, well, 25 years ago, you know, they put the seats in the plane. Twenty-five years ago, they said, yes, there was glue in the seats. What was it? It's contact cement. Go down to your hardware store and look on the label -- it's contact cement.

I said, well, does it have chromium in it? They said it's contact cement. You know, so does it have chromium, silver, copper, boron, manganese, nickel, antimony, titanium, lead, aluminum, iron, zinc, calcium -- does it have any of these things in there? No.

So I think we have a very clear -- either I'm wrong or they're wrong. I had it analyzed. I gave the other sample to CBS News, and when Kallstrom found out about it, he had four samples analyzed. He knew what was in there, and he promised CBS News that he'd raid that place. From a producer, I got that. From two...

(AUDIT GAP)

... it is theoretically possible that if a Libyan sub popped up there that they might want to call that national security, yes. But that's a stretch at this point.

QUESTION: Mr. Sanders, have you or any of your associates listened to the cockpit voice recording?

SANDERS: I have spoken to investigators who have heard it. They did not hear it originally, but they did hear it in the months afterwards. I do not -- I was trying to run down somebody that was there when it was opened to hear it originally and in the very early tapes. I was not able to do that. So I just have a verbal rundown on what was there months after.

QUESTION: No one that you've been working with to your knowledge has ever listened to these tapes themselves?

SANDERS: No, I do know people that have listened to them in the weeks and months afterwards. I just don't know anybody that was there when they first reviewed them. That's something I would very much like to do. It's just one of those things that needs to be done.

If I was a federal investigator, the first thing I'd do is pull those tapes, ensure whoever might be skeptical about anything that might be on the tapes, because you can analyze them and tell whether or not they've been spliced -- and I'm not suggesting that they have been. But that's something that has to be done. And then you very carefully, obviously, go over every aspect of the tape. That's one of those things I don't have the ability to do at this point.

QUESTION: Are you suggesting, when you're talking about the samples with the residue on them, are you saying that CBS surrendered those to the FBI because the FBI was going to come in and raid the place and forcibly take them away?

SANDERS: Yes.

QUESTION: Without a subpoena? Or...

SANDERS: Well, I...

QUESTION: This was a news organization. (OFF-MIKE) protected, aren't they, by...

SANDERS: I'm quite confident they either had or were imminently able to have a subpoena on that one. I mean, the Brooklyn grand jury is sitting right there. And they got a subpoena for me, that they had to pull back after I hired an attorney in New York, because simply, by their own rules and regulations, it was not a legal subpoena.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) could they get a subpoena to come in and search a CBS office?

SANDERS: Apparently, they thought they could. You can't...

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) thought they could?

SANDERS: Even Jim Kallstrom on his worst day is not going to go raid CBS without the legal authority, I wouldn't think.

QUESTION: I would think that would be a great story if they said, go ahead, boys, we're going to have the photographers here. We're putting...

SANDERS: I was looking forward to it. I was laughing with my source inside CBS when we -- when she first got her first two heads up -- you know, her sources, inside Kallstrom's own team -- two of them independently came to her and said, the place is going to raided. She told me about it, and we were literally laughing about it.

I said, let me check with my lawyer because he has good sources over there, too. And he came back and confirmed it. We just couldn't believe it was going to happen.

SALINGER: I have to tell you a funny story to respond to what you're saying. It was in 1992 -- no, 1991, I guess -- that I'm the only person that interrogated the two Libyan suspects in the Pan Am 103 case. I spent time. I put them on TV for two hours. I came back to London, where I was based for ABC News. And suddenly, I was subpoenaed by the British government to turn over all of the tapes, turn over all the information I had.

You know what I discovered? The Americans had told the British to do it because the Americans knew they couldn't do it because of the First Amendment. And so the British did it instead of the Americans.

QUESTION: So you would say that these -- that they didn't have the authority to subpoena that material?

SALINGER: I think that it would have been very difficult for them to subpoena. What they might have done, though, is talked them into giving it away.

QUESTION: CBS wouldn't...

SALINGER: Yes.

QUESTION: ... agree to violate its commitment to (OFF-MIKE)?

SALINGER: I don't -- I don't know, but I think something maybe -- maybe happened that gave it away. But I'm not sure that they could do a subpoena.

DINAS: I might be able to answer that because I was directly involved in this and gave many interviews to the press regarding this. It's the fact, that yes, in fact, CBS was talked into giving those bits of evidence from a source they were investigating for either a news -- a news special on this controversy or to work with "60 Minutes."

And my understanding from the producer whom I've spoken with was that this producer was a young producer and was working with Jim over the months -- behind -- trying to get this information into the major news media. And then when -- when the -- wherever they got wind of it -- whether it was the NTSB or the FBI got wind of the fact that two of the samples from the seat material were in their possession, they sent agents up and went right through the line of command, who then contacted the CBS attorney.

The CBS attorney said, we don't want to mess with federal authorities. We don't want to jeopardize our Pentagon contacts. Give over that material. This is directly -- I was directly involved in this.

And this is the reason why: It's -- it was obnoxious that a major news organization who had been working with a journalist for weeks on a very sensitive story that was critical of the government turned over this material to the very people they were, hopefully, going to be exercising their journalistic right in being critical of.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) isn't it fair to say that -- that the reason -- the reason the government claims they have a grand jury in Brooklyn is not to suppress evidence but to investigate the theft of evidence?

DINAS: Yes, that's their argument. Their argument is, yes, this was -- this was a theft of evidence.

QUESTION: How do you feel about the fact that -- what the government claims is we don't -- once again, Jim is one of the more charming people we've ever met.

QUESTION: We don't care what he says. But how can you have the system where somebody steals evidence of an investigation and hands it over to whomever?

DINAS: Well, that would make sense, that would make sense if it were the single sensitive bit of evidence that they have regarding this issue. These were two one-inch strips of material from a seat, right, material that was taken from a hangar that had yards and yards -- maybe even a full, you know, a full battalion of this kind of material at their disposal to be analyzed? It was analyzed.

Two one-inch strips in no way hampers a serious investigation. What it does do is it blows the lid off an aspect of that investigation by the government that they don't want to be in the public eye. And that's one of the things I should mention about -- the publication of this book.

This book is not meant to prove anything. Jim is a journalist, and he's a researcher. This book is not meant to conclusively say it was a missile. All this book is meant to do is to open an honest and frank discussion about the cause of this disaster in the -- in front of the American people.

The government has systematically denied this right, has refused to debate Jim in public, has refused to even mention this book. They have only intimidated him and his wife. They have subpoenaed the publisher, myself included. This has been a direct campaign for one year to not answer the hard questions. That's why this book was published -- to get people working on answering the hard questions; getting the investigation out in the open; and not investigating any (OFF-MIKE) theory from meteors to a gas bubble out of the ocean; and really focusing on what the debris trail indicates, what the radar indicates, what the eyewitnesses indicate. This is really the purpose of this book.

And this is why Jim's efforts and Pierre's effort and Glenn's effort, and all the concerned citizens that are -- that we've been in touch with and are in support of this book -- this is the purpose of this publication, is to have an open and frank discussion.

QUESTION: Mr. Sanders, how do you account for the fact that none of the bodies of passengers seated in those rows exhibit the kinds of burns or other injuries that would be associated with close proximity to a missile exhaust?

SANDERS: In rows 17, 18 and 19 -- I'd have to go back and look at that. Essentially, the only bodies on the plane, except for two,
that showed burns are what they called -- it's not my term -- floaters, those that were blown out of the plane in the early stages, in those first eight seconds.

None of the -- well, two of the bodies that did not exit at that time according to the coroner's documents we have show burns. But that is a rather amazing thing that there is essentially no burns from anyone inside the fuselage, whether it -- whether it has to do with the blow up of the center wing tank or has to do with the missile passing through. Plus, the missile did pass through underneath row 17, 18, 19, not inside the -- the passenger cabin itself. And those rows, essentially, immediately began to exit out the left side of the airplane.

When you look at -- there's a full color schematic of -- of -- of Flight 800 that was done on a computer by the coroner that shows body damage and seat damage. And you'll see that the three rows with the least damage of all are those three rows in row 17, 18 and 19 that exited immediately after the impact.

QUESTION: The book argues that the missile would have calculated the center of mass with the heat signatures on the airplane, and that center of mass would've been just forward of the wing. All the engines are basically hung off the wing as it sweeps back. Wouldn't the center of mass be further after the...

SANDERS: If it were an (OFF-MIKE) that would be the -- infrared -- yes, that would be the argument.

SANDERS: And I went through this in great detail with investigators who were involved in that, because that's what I had assumed. And, they said, no, that after all of their investigation on this and going through it that the signature was towards the front. I'm quite surprised myself. That's not my analysis; that's analysis given to me by people on the teams who were looking into that.

QUESTION: I'm curious as to what it is in the documents you obtained that you feel indicates that the ATC data was sent first to the White House and that it indicated that the controllers observed a missile or something else striking 800, because I've read your excerpt of the chairman's report and the letters from Dr. Loeb (ph) and the reply from the FAA. Can't seem to find anything there that indicates (a) that it went to the White House first, or (b) that...

SANDERS: I'll read it to you. Give me a second. I'm not the most organized person sometimes.

Under the November 15 chairman's report, when they were reporting -- the different teams were reporting, under "Fire and Explosion," which is Dr. Merrick Berkes (ph), it in sentence two is talking about Merrick Berkes (ph). He also indicates -- oh, excuse me. I'm giving you the wrong one. I'm answering another question that you haven't asked yet that we hope you do. Give me a second to get to page four. I'm sorry.

Be a darn good question if somebody asked it.

(LAUGHTER)

SANDERS: You want to ask it? "The letter will reference the technician who did the analysis resulting in conflicting radar tracks that indicated a missile. It will also inquire why that information was reported to the White House and sent to the FAA technical center before the safety board was given access to the data."

Now, this is reiterated in follow-on letters that said -- the FAA says, yes, we did indeed send it as soon as possible to the White House because of what the possible significance of this was. It's very clear in the letter. I can dial through here and find the FAA response, I believe, but I mean, it's very clear that it went to the White House.

QUESTION: That letter also indicates that once the tape was examined by FAA experts who are expert in radar data, they concluded that there was, in fact, no missile track on that tape. Isn't that right?

SANDERS: There was a general statement said that -- I can't remember; there's a two word phrase that was in there. But it also says that those technicians wouldn't back off of what -- would not agree with that assessment. And this is just another one of those areas. Is this a PR statement by management over there? Or is that what they really believe? And those are the kind of questions that can only be answered if we have a legitimate investigation.

QUESTION: What's your great question?

(LAUGHTER)

SANDERS: Let me see if I can even remember it. Oh, yes, I can remember it. Does the NTSB have any evidence whatsoever that takes their hypothesis that static electricity caused all this to a theory -- a theory having some microscopic bit of evidence to back it up? And in fact, their own statements says that there is -- let me read it; don't want to paraphrase it.

Let me read two sentences: Merrick (ph) indicated that, to date -- that's Dr. Merrick (ph) Berkes (ph) -- his group has seen no evidence of erosion or pitting in any of the wreckage. He also indicated that they have not discovered any static or fuel transfer problems with the center wing tank. You know, that's not they discovered a little bit, and we're just trying to get over that hump. They don't have anything.

Pardon me?

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE) what's the date?

SANDERS: November 15, and there is -- and that stands unopposed.

SANDERS: You know, they have not produced a shred of evidence to say that, well, we finally got that first shred. It's just that the center wing tank blew up somewhere along the line. So there is nothing more recent.

(UNKNOWN): Here's the White House response from...

SANDERS: Oh, yes, we already passed that, but that's fine.

QUESTION: Mr. Sanders, have you made any -- have you or the publishers made any effort to use the Freedom of Information Act to obtain the rest of the documents such as these two that you had leaked from the FAA? I understand they had those meetings on a regular basis. Under the FOIA, they would be -- they should be available, should they not?

SANDERS: Right. I've spent almost 12 years learning the FOIA process, and a very detailed plan of action is under development and should be completed within the next few days, because we want to split it into what you realistically can get now, which is quite limited, versus once the FBI says we're pulling out of here. They're going to leave the door open, absolutely guarantee it. They will not absolutely -- it's a mechanical, and there's no other possibility.

If they say that, we all get to line up at their front door the next day for documents, because if they don't leave the door open, virtually everything except witnesses' names and a few things like that we all get to get a hole of them. So that simply won't happen.

So yes, it's a very technical process, and it costs a lot of money when you use attorneys to do it. So the answer is -- very long answer of saying, yes, that's in the process right now.

QUESTION: You might consider getting in touch with Larry Claven (ph) of Judicial Watch. He's had a great deal of success getting FOIAs very expeditiously.

SANDERS: Right, I understand that. Timing is everything.

QUESTION: You've got in your book a chart that seems to bolster your case that this was a friendly fire missile. That includes a special box south of the crash site that you indicate went active 8:00 p.m. on July 17, about a half-hour before 800 was shot down. But your documentation in the back of the book seems to indicate that that box didn't go active until 9:00 p.m., a half-hour after 800 got shot down.

SANDERS: No, if it's London time, it went active 8:00 p.m.. In fact, when I initially saw that document, I argued it (OFF-MIKE), because I was counting up on my fingers from the times I've gone to Britain and France. And we looked it up. But no, it's 8:00 p.m..

QUESTION: The Navy references to Zulu, which is Greenwich mean time, the universal time coordinate, which normally is five hours ahead of East Coast time except for Eastern daylight time. And July 17 wasn't (ph) Eastern daylight time when it's four hours ahead, because obviously, in the spring hour clock moves ahead one hour. So the reference there seems to be that the area went active four hours prior to the 01:00 Zulu, which would be 9 o'clock (OFF-MIKE).

SANDERS: Well, there was a lot of work done on that by the Riverside Press Enterprise before I got involved in it, and that -- this is the first time anyone's even said anything about it, because after doing an enormous amount of checking on it -- and I did question them myself on that. And no, the answer came back it was 8:00 p.m. that night. And that has not encountered any questioning from the government side whatever.

But it's also interesting that that document came out of Fax Pack (ph) down in Oceania, Virginia, which is where the military has their own traffic controllers and where the CEC (ph) program plugs into the air traffic control networks there and has its own independent monitoring system.

So you have a tremendous number of radar systems covering that area and personnel covering that area that particular evening, which doesn't respond to the Zulu time.

QUESTION: Isn't that the military facility that's normally responsible for coordinating offshore military aviation activities with the FAA?

SANDERS: In -- in the norm, right.

Yes.

DINAS: We have time for like one or two more questions.

QUESTION: There have been reports about other countries' satellite photography type -- took pictures of a missile hitting a plane. I think there was a Canadian -- there was a story about Canadian photographs and (OFF-MIKE) photograph, and another one, maybe Russian, that Mr. Salinger knows about. What's going to happen to those pictures?

SANDERS: The -- I'm not sure I can find my -- I don't know what has happened to those. I do know that in the chairman's report that it mentions two different types of -- of -- let me see if I can find it here real quickly. I think it's on page three or page four -- on page three.

"The FBI and the DIA have indicated to him that there is a possibility that geo-synchronous satellite centers may have picked up either radio transmissions or infrared emissions related to this accident." And I haven't seen anything other than some casual statements on that. So I don't know.

DINAS: Any more questions? Well, thanks for coming today. We appreciate your support.

END

NOTES:
Unknown - Indicates Speaker Unkown
Inaudible - Could not make out what was being said.
off mike - Indicates could not make out what was being said.

SBD
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this over at the Site Institute, the terrorists are still talking about taking down aircraft with missiles:

http://siteinstitute.org/bin/articles.cgi?ID=publications32505&Category=publications&Subcategory=0
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was part of the Assault Craft Unit out of Little Creek that worked on the TWA 800 salvage. At the time he told me that the divers photographed and recovered parts of a SAM missile tail assembly from the sea floor.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yall for finding this thread - I was lookin' for it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: