SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry allows Navy release of military, medical records
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lftrn97
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Could Carter's Files Reveal Kerry's Discharge Status? Reply with quote

When Carter pardoned protesters and cleaned up discharges he must have had to name the receipients and if so they should show up in one of Carter's Presidential documents...possibly search the Carter Center's files and are they subject to FOIA?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Could Carter's Files Reveal Kerry's Discharge Status? Reply with quote

lftrn97 wrote:
When Carter pardoned protesters and cleaned up discharges he must have had to name the receipients and if so they should show up in one of Carter's Presidential documents...possibly search the Carter Center's files and are they subject to FOIA?

Interesting suggestion...sort of a backdoor approach...it does seem logical that SOME branch of government might have a record of a request FROM Kerry (or perhaps from Ted Kennedy) or, perhaps, some internally generated process document with Kerry's name on it were he to have sought re-consideration of a less than honorable.

Whether such evidence (IF it exists) might have made it into Jimmuh's library is conjecture but certainly worthy of consideration by someone versed in the Presidential papers process.

You also raise another valid question (perhaps unrelated) as to access to Presidential Library material. Do those libraries act in some quasi-governmental role as surrogate caretakers of The People's records and subject to FOIA inspection? I have no idea. Good question.

On edit: An internet search yielded...

Quote:
Presidential Libraries of the National Archives and Records Administration

The Presidential Library system is made up of eleven Presidential Libraries. This nationwide network of libraries is administered by the Office of Presidential Libraries, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), located in College Park, MD. These are not traditional libraries, but rather repositories for preserving and making available the papers, records, and other historical materials of U.S. Presidents since Herbert Hoover.

Each Presidential Library contains a museum and provides an active series of public programs. Also included in the Presidential Library system is the Nixon Presidential Materials Staff, which administers the Nixon Presidential materials under the terms of the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act. When a President leaves office, NARA establishes a Presidential project until a new Presidential library is built and transferred to the Government.

http://www.archives.gov/presidential_libraries/about/about.html

OK...Presidential Libraries ARE government-run and, as such, would seem to be subject to FOIA examination. But I wonder if ANY content that is "Privacy Act" protected might, somehow, make it's way into a Presidential Library.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1you#10 wrote in response to Iftrn97's question:
Quote:
You also raise another valid question (perhaps unrelated) as to access to Presidential Library material. Do those libraries act in some quasi-governmental role as surrogate caretakers of The People's records and subject to FOIA inspection?

I have worked briefly in the Nixon papers at College Park and can tell you that many documents have been removed due to privacy concerns. A special review panel went through them and decided some could be opened; however, one must know to ask the archivist because the newly released documents were not put back in their original folders, they are in another set of records!

The archivists are extremely helpful there and I am sure they would be at the Carter Library also. Finding anything is like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I personally like the idea of this type of approach!!!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTION????

From the Lyons Research website:

Quote:
1) Why did Senator Kerry apply to the Navy for a copy of his record when the National Personnel Record Center is custodian of the file?

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is the custodian of records of discharged Navy personnel who served in 60’s and 70’s. All requests for navy personnel records of both officers and enlisted should be made to the NPRC, not the Navy... . When a Veteran wants a copy of his Navy Record he/she must fill out an SF180. The Veteran can apply directly to the NPRC, the custodian of the record, or he can have a third person obtain the record for him/her, in which case he must sign an authorization to allow the third person to act as his agent. It is not enough to fill out an SF 180. There must be a third party authorization, or the record will only be released to the Veteran. We see no reason why Senator Kerry would choose to have the Navy release his record when the NPRC is the custodian of his full record.

2) Why was Senator Kerry discharged from the Navy Reserve in 1972 but his discharge is dated 1978?

Kerry was discharged from active duty on Jan 3rd 1970. He entered the inactive reserve at that time. In July of 1972 he entered the standby reserve. The standby reserve is a status that only requires the veteran to notify the Military of his/her current address, in case the Military wants to call the Veteran up to active duty. The standby reserve is often referred to as individual ready reserve (IRR). Typically participation in the Standby Reserve is limited to a couple of years. We have never seen a Veteran in any branch of the military that had a 6 year standby reserve obligation, unless it was part of their enlistment contract. Except for Senator Kerry’s 1978 discharge from the Reserve, we have not seen any other records that indicate that the Senators Standby Reserve obligation was that long.

3) Why is there a statement of service from a JAG officer in Senator Kerry’s personnel file?

The Judge Advocate Generals Office is the legal branch of the military.In the hundreds of personnel files we have reviewed, we have never seen a JAG summary in such a format and have only seen summaries when they are used in sentencing or pretrial investigations. The presence of this statement in Senator Kerry’s file is certainly unusual. This document by itself, however, is not enough to make assumptions about why it was created.

In Summary it is impossible to guess what is in Senator Kerry’s Navy personnel file. The ONLY way to obtain a true and complete version of the file is to have Senator Kerry sign a release and an SF180 allowing the bearer of the SF180 to obtain any and all of his Military Service Records from the National Personnel Records Center, a branch of the National Archives. The NPRC is the only Government organization that has and can release a copy of his complete personnel file.

My question: WHY IS A JAG OFFICER TYPING THIS COMPILATION OF KERRY'S SERVICE on 1/25/85???

This is my transcription of the document (since I don't know how to copy and transfer a document)

Quote:
The following information was compiled from the Service Record of John Forbes Kerry by LCDR D. H. Myers, JAGC, USN NMCP - 06P, Office of Legal Counsel, Naval Military Personnel Command.

Inducted (PEBD) 18 August 1966

OCIU-2 19 August 1966

D.O.R. as ENSIGN, USNR
(ACTIVE COMM BASE DATE) 16 December 1966

D.O.R. as LT (jg) 16 June 1968

D.O.R. as LT, USNR 1 January 1970

Release from ACDU/
Trf to Naval Reserve 3 January 1970

Trf to Standby Reserve - Inactive 1 July 1972

Discharged for U.S. Naval Reserve 16 Feb 1978

ORIG: D. Myers, LCDR, JAGC, USNR, NMPCO/OP-OIL 42225 Disk #3

TYPED:01/25/85, NMPC-06, NBI: Kerry1, Courier 10 pitch 42225, JE

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link, to the document shawa transcribed
http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/jkerry/servicercrd.pdf

good question
do JAGs usually compile summary of service records?

this was in Jan 1985, the year he got all those new medal citations of June 1985

per this batch of records starting pg 11
http://www.judicialwatch.org/archive/2004/navykerryresponse.pdf
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
QUESTION????

From the Lyons Research website:

Quote:
1) Why did Senator Kerry apply to the Navy for a copy of his record when the National Personnel Record Center is custodian of the file?

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is the custodian of records of discharged Navy personnel who served in 60’s and 70’s. All requests for navy personnel records of both officers and enlisted should be made to the NPRC, not the Navy...

What the NPRC revealed is that they hold original copies of Kerry records from multiple agencies in a vault. At one point in time they had sent all the certified copies to different departments to copy and reveiw. They cannot release any records that belong to a outside agency without that agencies permission. Question is what agencies got to view and copy Kerry's entire records from NPRC?

This entire mystery (along with some goodies) will be solved very shortly Laughing
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, did the Globe and the LA Times invite John O'Neill to come on down and review Kerry's signed SF 180 and the Records? Shocked Laughing

I know silly me and what planet am I on? Shocked Laughing Laughing Wink
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:

This entire mystery (along with some goodies) will be solved very shortly Laughing

OK now, you're not going to make me stew on that are ya? Have a heart! Wink
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarineBrat wrote:
The bandit wrote:

Is it soup yet ? Wink
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarineBrat wrote:
The bandit wrote:

Luke 12:2-3
2 Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
3 Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: