SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone just see the Abrams Report on MSNBC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Did anyone just see the Abrams Report on MSNBC? Reply with quote

What a terrific story he just told about meeting 3 members of our military at the airport in CA - They were there for a funeral of an Officer, and while he spoke with them they proceeded to (possibly) save the life of an elderly man that collapsed. He called them heroes, and it was very moving, positive, and clearly humbling for Mr. Abrams. I thank him for telling the story.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neat story Rdtf...

MSNBC Transcript

Quote:
Coming up, on my trip from Santa Maria, I had an experience that had nothing to do with the Michael Jackson case. It‘s a reminder about what is really important. It‘s my “Closing Argument”.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

ABRAMS: My “Closing Argument”—a story about my time in Santa Maria, California that has nothing to do with Michael Jackson. I was flying out of Santa Maria for the weekend and was approached in the airport by a guy named John who said he was a fan of the show. He was with what I assumed were two friends. One on crutches, they just looked like three guys on vacation. I quickly learned that their trip to the area was anything but.

They were in town for the funeral of a colleague, one of their quote - “teammates”, Captain Derek M. Argel of Lompoc, California, who along with three others died in a plane crash on Memorial Day in Iraq. Captain Argel, 28, was survived by his wife Wendy and 11-month-old son Logan. Argel was the first of three funerals they would be traveling to attend.

Also that of Captain Jeremy Fresques of Farmington, New Mexico, and Sergeant Casey Crate of Spanaway, Washington, all members of the 23rd Special Tactics Squadron out of Hurlburt Field, Florida, an elite Air Force unit that has among other things, been helping to locate bombing targets in Iraq and Afghanistan. So here I am consumed with the minutia of a celebrity trial in California while these guys are doing the nation‘s work. I was almost ashamed that Sergeant John—they‘ve asked me to only use their first names—had walked up to me to tell me how much he liked my work rather than me walking up to him.

But that‘s just the beginning. I learned that the one on crutches, Sergeant Brad, I‘ll call him, was recovering from a gunshot wound he received in April in Afghanistan. His team had been called in to support an ambushed coalition convoy. He apparently killed a number of enemy fighters and performed life saving treatment on another wounded soldier after he was hit with a round from an AK-47. OK, so now I‘m thinking about the relative insignificance of my life on my short flight from Santa Maria to L.A.

As we‘re leaving the plane, Sergeant John was offering up some suggestions for better coverage of our men and women in uniform when an elderly man about 10 yards in front of us falls flat on his face. I later learned he just had chemotherapy. His head and his hands severely bruised and bleeding, immediately Sergeant John called to Sergeant Brad and Major Mike and instructed them to stay with the fallen man while he ran for help.

Sergeant Brad on his crutches ran down the gateway. It was if they had trained for this mission, too, to help anyone in need. They called for first-aid. There was none. They did what they could, eventually got a wheelchair and took him to the men‘s room, helped him clean up. About 30 minutes later, a medic arrived and all was well.

These guys are heroes on the battlefield, but they‘re also living heroic lives, making sure their fallen comrades are remembered properly and while they‘re there, helping out anyone else in need. Sergeant John, Sergeant Brad, and Major Mike, I salute you guys.

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this should be forwarded to Sen. Durbin (D. Ill.) and ask him if he feels this is also the work of Nazi Death Camp guards. Evil or Very Mad

I'll also bet that both of the Servicemen feel they did nothing out of the ordinary. I think these two Soldiers are excellent examples of just who and what we have in our Military Services today.

Yes, they are real heroes in my book too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: