SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Durbin, through some tears apologized
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Durbin, through some tears apologized Reply with quote

Well, Durbin did finally apologize on the floor of the Senate. His voice broke at one point. Did he learn that words have meaning other than to be used for his political benefit? I sure don't know. I doubt it. But somehow I am not convinced apologies are enough. How can he put back the propoganda tool now being used against us in Arab countries?

Nancy Palocy blamed the issue on the Republicans trying to distract attention away from something. I think she said Republicans wanted to distract from the war. Rolling Eyes On Fox news it sounded like the Dems are back peddling a little trying to still have the GTMO issue to bash Bush with, but trying to not blame the troops. Rolling Eyes Shocked [Big Sigh]
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect/19durbin.html

Durbin apologizes for comments

June 21, 2005

BY ASSOCIATED PRESS

~snip~
"Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line," the Illinois Democrat said. "To them I extend my heartfelt apologies."

SOME may believe? SOME APOLOGY! Evil or Very Mad
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F'n weaseler. How many times do we have to watch this movie?

THIS is how a waffler accepts responsibility and makes amends!

NOTHING of value here. Nothing meaningful. He got caught with his pants down and now wants to say that it was just a trick of illusion that his pants were down. Yahrightwhateverrrrr, Durbin. Rolling Eyes

How's life on Daschle Road?
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He picked the wrong line of work. He really should have gone into acting. (ok,ok not a big difference, I know...) Those tears were more believable than Tom Cruise's latest profession of love.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newspapers were beginning to rail against Durbin in his home state. This apology is CYA and not at all meaningful.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
The newspapers were beginning to rail against Durbin in his home state. This apology is CYA and not at all meaningful.

Bury dick the bastard in the next election.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never said " I was wrong." He parsed words and waffled. His whimpering was for himself in my opinion and not because the jerk was truly repentant. Voinovich is a better crier. These wimps and pussycats disgust me. The Senate has disgraced itself. Where are the "Honorable" Senators (as they are addressed). Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weasel doesn't begin to describe his dispicable act. First, he mouths an apology, then basically retracts it with that Lincoln quote.

Let's see how he will undo the damge he has caused by Al Jazeera widely broadcasting his "misunderstood" words.

Like has happened to others from both parties, Durbin should be expelled. He wouldn't be the first one to issue an apology and still be shown the door.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His voice quaking and tears welling in his eyes, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate also apologized to any soldiers who felt insulted by his remarks.

It isn't over until the men & women in uniform accept his apology. I still believe we should seize this opportunity to send a strong message that their are 26,000,000 Veterans who will rally to the defense of this generation of troops. Politics has nothing to do with this and we will come after any politician of any persuasion with a vengeance that has been in the making for 35 years.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police

Last edited by coldwarvet on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the way I saw it. He said, "If I offended..." He didn't say, I am sorry for exaggerating GITMO for political gain.

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
F'n weaseler. How many times do we have to watch this movie?

THIS is how a waffler accepts responsibility and makes amends!

NOTHING of value here. Nothing meaningful. He got caught with his pants down and now wants to say that it was just a trick of illusion that his pants were down. Yahrightwhateverrrrr, Durbin. Rolling Eyes

How's life on Daschle Road?

Last edited by Ohio Voter on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the IRE of the VFW just scared the sheeet out of Little Dickie.

From the letter from Colonel Furgess posted by Lew Waters on anoter thread:
Quote:
"To link such selflessness to three of world's worst regimes is reprehensible," said Furgess, "and I call on every member of Congress and all 900,000 veterans in the State of Illinois to make their displeasure known to Senator Durbin."

Durbin's tears were for nearly a million votes he has lost forever!!!
I don't believe those Vets will ever vote for him again, apology or not.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I missed it, I googled for some video

Sooo....he apologized to those who were offended , but never really said that his remarks were wrong,. just a poor choice of words

and he used Colin Powell as ..what...an excuse, as cover, for his remarks? Just can't take responsibility ....

video links...if you missed it
this guy has most of it
http://treyjackson.net/files/durbinap.wmv

short clip --the teary part at the end
http://www.thepoliticalteen.com/video/durbinapo.wmv

Quote:

full text

“More than most people, a Senator lives by his words, words are the coin of the realm in our profession. Occasionally words will fail us and occasionally we will fail words.”

“On June 14, I took the floor of the Senate to speak about genuine heartfelt concerns about the treatment of prisoners and detainees at Guantanamo and other places. I raised legitimate concerns that others have raised, including Secretary of State Colin Powell, about the policies of this administration and whether they truly do serve our needs to make America safer and more secure, whether, in fact, some of the policies might, in fact, endanger our troops, or in some ways disparage the image of America around the world.”

“During the course of that presentation, I read an e-mail from the Federal Bureau of Investigation that was discovered to exist last August, and has now been produced as part of the Freedom of Information Act. After reading the horrible details in that memo, which characterized the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo, I then, on my own, my own words, made some characterizations about that memo. I made reference to the Nazis, Soviets and other repressive regimes.”

“Mr. President, I have come to understand that was a very poor choice of words. I tried to make this very clear last Friday that I understood to those analogies to the Nazis, Soviets and others were poorly chosen. I issued a release which I thought made my intentions and my inner-most feeling as clear as I possibly could.”

“Let me read to you what I said. ‘I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said causes anybody to misunderstand my true feelings. Our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support.’”

“Mr. President, it is very clear that even though I thought I had said something that clarified the situation, to many people it was still unclear. I'm sorry if anything that I said caused any offense or pain to those who have such bitter memories of the Holocaust, the greatest moral tragedy of our time. Nothing, nothing should ever be said to demean or diminish that moral tragedy.”

“I'm also sorry if anything I said in any way cast a negative light on our fine men and women in the military. I went to Iraq just a few months ago with Senator Harry Reid and a bipartisan Senate delegation. When you look in the eyes of the soldiers you see your son and daughter. They are the best. I never, ever intended any disrespect for them.”

“Some may believe that my remarks crossed a line. To them, I extend my heartfelt apologies.”

“There's usually a quote from Abraham Lincoln that you can turn to in moments like this. Maybe this is the right one. Lincoln said, ‘If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, 10,000 angels swearing I was right wouldn't make any difference.’”

“In the end, I don't want anything that I may have said detract from the love for my country, my respect for those who bravely risk their lives each day for our security, and this Senate which I am so honored to serve as a member. I offer my apology for those offended by my words. I promise to speak out on the issues that I think are important to the people of Illinois and to the nation.”

a message from the troops
http://home.comcast.net/~phildragoo/wsb/media/440736/site1498.jpg
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing At least Trent Lott took a screwin' like a man, this ****-*** reminds me of what the definition of "is"-"is".

I heard on fox today that Bin-durbins good friend is none other than Howie that lost every race dean! Wink
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yes, Lott had to resign of a "poor choice of words". I suppose it is more politically correct to call US Troops Nazis than to say the nation would be better off under a segregationist president like Strom Thurmond.

blue9t3 wrote:
Laughing At least Trent Lott took a screwin' like a man, this j*****f reminds me of what the definition of "is"-"is".

I heard on fox today that Bin-durbins good friend is none other than Howie that lost every race dean! Wink
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an article By REBECCA CARROLL Associated Press Writer: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/wireStory?id=870374

Snip:

One reason for the apology Tuesday was the "this loud, continuous drumbeat of misinformation that was being broadcast and printed," said Durbin spokesman Joe Shoemaker.

So I gather that the Durbin apology is to satisfy those (“Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line ,,,”) who are offended and Durbin’s spokesman soothes the remainder who back Durbin,

Kind of a Kerry nuance where Durbin apologizes before his spokesman clarifies.

Regards,
Dick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: