SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would-be opponent calls Clinton soft on terror

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Would-be opponent calls Clinton soft on terror Reply with quote

Hmmmm, If I lived in New York State, HE'D HAVE MY VOTE!

Quote:
Would-be opponent calls Clinton soft on terror
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer
June 24, 2005, 7:01 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- A would-be challenger to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's re-election in 2006 charged Friday she is part of a "soft underbelly" of liberal politicians trying to divide the nation over the war on terror.

The broadside from Republican John Spencer, a former Yonkers mayor, was the latest verbal fusillade in a war of words between Republicans and Democrats over the aftermath of Sept. 11.

Clinton, D-N.Y., was part of a group of Senate Democrats, including Sen. Charles Schumer, who on Thursday demanded top White House aide Karl Rove apologize or resign for comments about Sept. 11 at a political fundraiser in Manhattan.

Spencer, a Vietnam veteran, charged Clinton was seeking to advance her own ambitions by splitting the country.

"She's running for president, and I think deep in her heart she would love a divided nation," Spencer said. "The enemy within is the politicians in Washington who use war for their own political gain to divide our nation and attack our president."

He charged Clinton was part of a "soft underbelly" of liberals that leave the United States more vulnerable to terrorists.

Clinton's campaign spokesman Howard Wolfson said it was Spencer, not Clinton, who was being divisive.

"The Republicans are beginning yet another campaign in which issues and ideas will take a back seat to false and outrageous negative attacks," Wolfson said. "Instead of politicizing 9/11 and the war on terror, Mr. Spencer ought to stand with Sen. Clinton in uniting against the terrorists and supporting our troops."

The heated exchanges over the war on terror escalated Wednesday night when President Bush's chief political adviser Karl Rove gave a speech to the New York state Conservative Party outlining what he said were the differences toward terrorism between the right and left.

Rove said conservatives "saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war.

Liberals, he said, "saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers."

Clinton, Schumer and other Democrats said Rove's remarks flew in the face of the political unity shown after the 2001 terror attacks.

At an Armed Services Committee hearing, Clinton told Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld that she wanted to see "a different tone."

"I'm old enough to remember how deeply divided our country was in Vietnam. I never want to see that again," she said.

Spencer, an infantry lieutenant in 1968 and 1969, said if Clinton really cared about the soldiers serving overseas, she would have spoken out when fellow Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois invoked Nazis and the Soviet gulag in a speech on the Senate floor about the U.S. military installation at Guantanamo Bay. Durbin later apologized.

"Why do you stand by these colleagues?" Spencer asked.

While Spencer was quick to defend national Republicans, he was less charitable with his own state party.

"The New York state GOP is I think a little bit discombobulated. They've been slow to get going, they're engaging in personality contests and beauty contests. I'm a real candidate," he said.

Spencer enters an uncertain field of potential Republican candidates to challenge Clinton. His fellow Westchester resident, District Attorney Jeanine Pirro, has said that she will run for some statewide office, possibly the Senate. Others preparing to run against Clinton are Edward Cox, a son-in-law of the late President Nixon; former Wall Street public relations executive Adam Brecht; and tax lawyer William Brenner.

www.newsday.com
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this next senate race won't be the same shhoo-in for Clinton as the last one. Some challengers are lining up early this time'round

Jeanine Pirro thought the nomination was her's if she wanted it, that is until Cox entered the fray. And now there is this Spencer.
Things are looking up here in NY! Will keep my eyes on Cox & Spencer....
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of Ed Cox Wink
something recent from him
NewsMax

Quote:
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Ed Cox Slams Hillary for 9/11 Failure

New York Senate hopeful Ed Cox blasted Sen. Hillary Clinton on Saturday, saying that she's failed to win New York's fair share of federal homeland security dollars in the wake of the 9/11 attacks and hasn't kept her promise to improve the state's economy.

"New York is the number one target for terrorists," Cox told WABC Radio host Monica Crowley. "It is terrible that Wyoming should get $18 per capita of homeland security funds while New York gets only $2.50 (per capita)."

Cox said New York was shortchanging itself by sending two Democratic Senators to Washington, arguing that Wyoming is more successful because "they happen to have two Republican Senators."

As a Republican, Cox said, he'll be able to go to a White House and Congress controlled by the GOP and succeed where Hillary has failed. "I'll be able to deliver for New York and she cannot do that."

Cox also slammed Clinton for her record on the economy.

"She promised in upstate New York in her 2000 campaign that she would deliver 200,000 jobs," Cox told Crowley. "And she had a complicated, big government, unworkable plan to do that. And in fact, she hasn't delivered."

"Newspapers upstate are now asking," Cox said, "'Mrs. Clinton, where are those 200,000 jobs you promised us?'"

Though Cox's challenge to Clinton represents something of a political David and Goliath match-up, the New York lawyer and Nixon son-in-law told Crowley: "I will match my record of experience and accomplishments against Mrs. Clinton's any day as far as substance is concerned."

"Forget the celebrity and the glitz and all that," Cox said, before chronicling his work in the fields of education and the environment - and as a budget cutter in the Reagan administration.

Cox also hit what promises to be a sensitive issue for Mrs. Clinton: Her refusal to pledge to serve out her full term if reelected.

"New Yorkers resent the fact that she's just using New York as a stepping stone to run for president," he told Crowley.

this will be an interesting Repub primary in NY, both Spencer & Cox are locked and loaded at Hillary
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm just naieve, but I find this type of argument to be problematic......

Quote:
"New York is the number one target for terrorists," Cox told WABC Radio host Monica Crowley. "It is terrible that Wyoming should get $18 per capita of homeland security funds while New York gets only $2.50 (per capita)."

It seems to place a priority not on the needs of the nation in a time of war but on stuffing the pork barrel to pander to local interests.

I just can't consider Cox as an appropriate candidate if that's his "foot in the door"...and I've seen him take this approach already. I'd suggest he revamp his theme...
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see here. Wyoming population about 500,000 so they get about $9,000,000 while New York State population about 19MM so they get $47.5 Million assuming he means the state of NY. If he meant NYC only, then its only $20MM. Seems something doesn't make sense here Mr. Cox. NY gets a lot more of the people's bucks any way you look at it. Add in the state budget and it probably outstrips the Wyoming State gross revenues.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this guy Spencer gets some support. His voice could be a very important one.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the capitation rate...

I don’t see Cox’s statements as problematic, nor pandering. Working in health care, I can only speak to one area -- the costs of emergency preparedness re equipping hospitals and 1st responders across the state, which are absolutely enormous. Since we in NY ( a primary target) are not even getting the same capitation rate as ie, the example given of Wyoming, some of the costs of such initiatives are being borne by communities and the hospitals themselves, as the demand outpaces the funding, whereas a state with a higher capitation rate, yet with the lower population ( & thus need), may see these items fully funded by DHS. Without going into endless details of the impact of how the capitation rate may equate to actual funding, of say…biohazard suits for emergency rooms & 1st responders, for one mere example ….
I will give Cox the benefit of the doubt, for now…..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: