SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Denzel Washington and the troops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Denzel Washington and the troops Reply with quote

Subject: Brooks Army Medical Center and Denzel Washington]

Don't know whether you heard about this but Denzel Washington and his family visited the troops at Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio,Texas (BAMC) the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evacuated from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel where soldiers' families can stay, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base but as you can imagine, they are almost completely filled most of the time.

While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He took his check book out and wrote a check for the full amount right there on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it.

The question I have is why does Alec Baldwin, Madonna, Sean Penn and other Hollywood types make front page news with their anti-everything America crap and this doesn't even make page 3 in the Metro section of any newspaper except the base newspaper in San Antonio.

I received this above email from a friend, and wanted to pass it on. It is so heart warming when someone does something for our troops, and apparently not for the publicity.
Very Happy
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of stories are BS, this one is factual. The man is genuine and deserves our gratitude. He is what we would like to see more of. By thwe way it is Brooke, not Brooks. I spent 6 Mo there is 67-68 in medical training. It is a great base to serve. It is the Army Burn Center and the place where corpmen recieve their training.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that!!
Maybe Ben Affleck can use that 100K he saved on his taxes (that he openly complained about saving in support of John Kerry) to keep Walter Reed open. Yeah right. Too many 20 carat pink diamonds to buy for high maintenance women.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures from his visit.

SBD
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend sending this on to Drudge Report, THEN it will get out quickly!
Very Happy
MJ
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudge report is a good idea, but i don't know how to send those pictures that were added. I did send the text to our local paper and to Sean hannity. Hope someone does send it to Drudge/
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did this occur? He is wearing a corduroy jacket. May be 'old news,' so to speak.
margie
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey RDTF..your right, doesn't look as tho he is dressed for June! I just got the email and assumed it was recent....but I don't know. Nor do I know how to find out. Embarassed
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care about the date. I didn't know that Denzel did this, and anyone who would pull out his checkbook and write a big check to help our boys still gets my admiration, even if it a few months late.
Jack
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I don't care about the date. I didn't know that Denzel did this, and anyone who would pull out his checkbook and write a big check to help our boys still gets my admiration, even if it a few months late.
Jack

So true. Just makes it less likely that Drudge or anyone would pick it up.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FULL STORY: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3207727

Sending to drudge now, not sure if he will post it though :/

LW

edited
page not found (origional Crying or Very sad

LW
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This visit was in December of last year and has been circulating through the internet ever since. As usual, his extremely generous donation has been exagerrated beyond what it was.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

Regardless, I salute Denzel Washington for what he has done and continues to do. It would be very nice if there were more like him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: