SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Speech Reply with quote

One of the best public speakers I've seen.
Way to go G.W.

Dusty
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, Bush isn't a great orator, but I feel tonight's speech was one of his better ones. A glib speaker who can say all the touchy feely things the public wants to hear isn't necessarily a good leader. I prefer a man like Bush that shoots straight from the hip and you know exactly what he means when he does speak, eloquent or not.

OTH, when his speech started I was just leaving work and the radio was tuned into ABC radio (ugh). Before he ever spoke they were already stating fault with it. Afterwards, they just talked about how he said nothing new. Guess they hear what they want to hear. Rolling Eyes
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Lew - GW is not a great orator, or even communicator. But his message is still clear. Thank God for it.
By the way - NBC had Barbara bug-eyed Boxer on afterwards, and gave her way too much airtime. That woman is a walking negative bag of bad plastic surgery. Rolling Eyes
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxnews wasn't much better. They had Wesley Clark "critique" Bush's speech. Rolling Eyes Confused Shocked
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless him - it's clear that he loves this country. He is visibly proud of our military and has probably done more to promote their place in our society than any other president except maybe Ronald Reagan.

He got choked up there at the end. The burden of the entire world really does seem to rest on his shoulders.

These talking heads can all go %$#! up a rope. Until they are dealing with the problems that he is attempting to navigate, they can talk all they want, but that's all it is... talk.

He's walking the walk every day, every hour. There is no doubt in my mind that our safety is uppermost in his, 24/7.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight, GW WAS a great orator. I agree with Mort Kondrache - it was
one of the best speeches he has ever made. If the troops had not been
cautioned not to react to it, he probably would have been interrupted with
applause and cheers so many times that the speech would have lasted
much longer. The inclusion of the quote by Osama was brilliant because
it shows just how important Iraq is to the survival of Al Qaeda and why it
is so vital that we stay the course and finish this war that we are in the
process of winning.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the speech:
Quote:
~snip~
We see the nature of the enemy in terrorists who exploded car bombs along a busy shopping street in Baghdad, including one outside a mosque. We see the nature of the enemy in terrorists who sent a suicide bomber to a teaching hospital in Mosul. And we see the nature of the enemy in terrorists who behead civilian hostages and broadcast their atrocities for the world to see.

These are savage acts of violence but they have not brought the terrorists any closer to achieving their strategic objectives. The terrorists, both foreign and Iraqi, failed to stop the transfer of sovereignty. They failed to break our coalition and force a mass withdrawal by our allies. They failed to incite an Iraqi civil war. They failed to prevent free elections. They failed to stop the formation of a democratic Iraqi government that represents all of Iraq's diverse population. And they failed to stop Iraqis from signing up in large numbers with the police forces and the army to defend their new democracy.

[b]The lesson of this experience is clear: The terrorists can kill the innocent but they cannot stop the advance of freedom. The only way our enemies can succeed is if we forget the lessons of September 11, if we abandon the Iraqi people to men like Zarqawi and if we yield the future of the Middle East to men like bin Laden. For the sake of our nation's security, this will not happen on my watch.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL TEXT OF THE SPEECH
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that part - thanks for the link - I missed the front half of the speech.

Quote:
Some wonder whether Iraq is a central front in the war on terror. Among the terrorists, there is no debate. Hear the words of Osama Bin Laden: "This Third World War is raging" in Iraq. "The whole world is watching this war." He says it will end in "victory and glory or misery and humiliation."

The terrorists know that the outcome will leave them emboldened or defeated. So they are waging a campaign of murder and destruction. And there is no limit to the innocent lives they are willing to take.

In a way, this section of the speech is allegorical - because so does the anti-war movement know that the outcome will leave THEM emboldened or defeated. Our country's success will mean THEIR defeat.

Can there any question as to what lengths they will go to achieve a victory?

We've seen this movie before, hm? The utter humiliation and degradation heaped upon our soldiers 30 years ago shows just how low they are willing to stoop.

Can there be any doubt that they will go even farther, today?
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxnews having Wesley Clark "critique" Bush's speech was their way to confirm to Americans that most all of the democrats want you to see a glass that is almost empty. Although, I believe the democrats position on the Iraq war and a lot of other issues will backfire on them with a bigger majority of Americans voters in 2006 and 2008.

To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
Ronald Reagan
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the website the President mentioned in his speech. It's a great site. You can send a message of support. Video and Audio Tributes. Lots of stories.
Click on the state's map to see the many efforts to show support for the troops. Texas is awesome!! I think I want to move there some day.

http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to honor the lives given is to complete the mission!

As Iraqi 's stand up, America will stand down

I will continue to be guided by the advice that matters

They take innocent lives for the cameras...

We will stay in the fight until the fight is done!

Just like they tried to shake our will on 9/11...THEY WILL FAIL.....

WE will not allow our future to be determined by carbombers and assassins....

Now is not the time to retreat, but to have courage

Not on my watch.

fighting tears as he closed with
The enemy is brutal, but they are no match for the men and women of the United States Military!

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great summary, Kate.
Quote:
They take innocent lives for the cameras...

A subtle jab at the media broadcasting terrorist propaganda???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: