SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAA Friendly Fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoNaYet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: AAA Friendly Fire Reply with quote

I was just watching the Pearl Harbor scene in Tora, Tora, Tora; and I was struck by the volumn of low elevation fire they portrayed. I would expect that falling AAA in an urban area would cause casualties, but this shows more or less direct fire to adjacent ships, facilities, and civilian areas.

I've never read about the effect of indiscrimiate fire, but I know some of you can testify.

NoNaYet
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: AAA Friendly Fire Reply with quote

NoNaYet wrote:
I was just watching the Pearl Harbor scene in Tora, Tora, Tora; and I was struck by the volumn of low elevation fire they portrayed. I would expect that falling AAA in an urban area would cause casualties, but this shows more or less direct fire to adjacent ships, facilities, and civilian areas.

I've never read about the effect of indiscrimiate fire, but I know some of you can testify.

NoNaYet

It is now claimed that most of the civilian injuries and death was cause by the falling anti aircraft fire from our own weapons. War is shooting and sometimes you do not think where your ammo winds up if you miss your target, that is collateral damage, mistakes or the fog of war. You just hope you did not receive it or was the cause of it and I think the latter is the best option for you immediately.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having been through Pearl Harbor myself, I can only give you my opinion.

First, you have to remember you were watching a movie.

Second, yes, there was considerable firing. However, Battleship Row was anchored well out in the Harbor, not close to shore. It is my understanding most of it was low level targets, the Japanese Aircraft coming in low to drop their torpedoes.

Is it possible there were casualties from our fire? Undoubtedly. Whether or not there was any compilation of this, I don't know. I would imagine they were more concerned with saving each other and fighting off another attack than compiling lists (things were quite different back then).

I have heard some US aircraft flying into Pearl were fired on later that evening, mistakenly being thought to be Japanese. I also believe the majority of firing was done by machine gunners.

Dont kow if that helps, it's all speculation on my part.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low level---of course, thats what sneaks do. Thier targets were preplanned, just like thier declaration of war. The Japanesse were intent on destroying all of us including Hickum Field, if your wondering if there was any indescriminate strafing of our civilians you should read-up on the attrocities brought on by the Japanesse, maybe the Baton death march. My wifes Uncle was lost there and I have a picture of his parents looking at a grave which they said was'nt thier son, I also have a gold star that parents would display in thier window if they had lost a son, they would have a silver one if thier child was wounded.

PS. I dont know how I ended up with the Gold Star, maybe cause Im a vn vet, but I placed it in frame and its treated with respect, thats alot more than I can say about certain voter elected rep's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: